IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

On 17/06/2019 at 13:17, Kid in the Riot said:

as long as we are at the right end of the Championship, we will have to sell some of our best players if we fail to win promotion. 

That is exactly the point. Failure to get promoted comes at a high cost in terms of sales. Kelly and Webster are the tip of the ice berg. Odowda and Brownhill are on the radar of several clubs add to that Semenyo, Bakinson and Vyner!

However we have money and kids coming through, so we go again. 

Speculation about Webster was always coming. My instinct is he will be gone soon for a large wedge, that is the business model unless we get promoted get used to it!

10 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

That is exactly the point. Failure to get promoted comes at a high cost in terms of sales. Kelly and Webster are the tip of the ice berg. Odowda and Brownhill are on the radar of several clubs add to that Semenyo, Bakinson and Vyner!

However we have money and kids coming through, so we go again. 

Speculation about Webster was always coming. My instinct is he will be gone soon for a large wedge, that is the business model unless we get promoted get used to it!

Chicken and egg though isn’t it.  If we keep selling all of our best players every season then we never will get promoted. Hopefully it’s all just paper talk and Webster will be with us next season but money talks both for club and for player so we will see. 

While the thought of losing Webster is utterly depressing it’s hardly a surprise. He’s comfortably the best centre half I saw last season and is perfect for the modern game with the way he brings the ball out of defence and retains possession. 

As is always the way with these things, if the price is right I’m sure we will end up selling. £12m would be nowhere near enough in my view, but if a bid came in at the £17-£18m level it’s hard to imagine us turning it down. We’ve just got to hope, if and when that does happen, that we have suitable replacements in mind and we get them in quickly. 

Webster going would be hard to take, especially with Kelly gone and there being no guarantee at all that Dasilva and Kalas will be here next season. With right back being our weak spot in defence we could be looking at a whole new back 4 next season which is far from ideal. Let’s just hope we know what we’re doing....

It’s a horrible circle we’ve got caught up in. We never had this years ago when we were buying players at the end of their careers, never had to worry about teams bigger than us coming in for our players. Sell and strengthen I keep hearing, hope to strengthen several positions with the money from one player. But by selling that one player we are significantly weakening and there is no guarantee we will find the next gem.

The Gas did this probably 25 or 30 years ago, find a gem and sell him. They did this several times and got into trouble when the gems ran out, the money they had were significant fees, millions I think. More money than we were getting back on the whole. I think they really thought they were invincible, turning non league players into goldmines. But the money went, the players dried up, they plummeted and have never really been the same since. 

I know as I said before that it near impossible if the player wants the move to the Premiership, but right when we have a bit of quality I want us to benefit and not just financially. I’m finding it more frustrating be8ng a selling club than watching all those journeymen we used to have, at least we knew what we were getting and they would be with us for a while, as no other bugger wanted them.

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

Chicken and egg though isn’t it.  If we keep selling all of our best players every season then we never will get promoted. Hopefully it’s all just paper talk and Webster will be with us next season but money talks both for club and for player so we will see. 

Up to a point Len but who thought we would be talking about15m for Webster a year ago.

The model dictates that we already have replacements within or lined up. Its up to MA/LJ to build again. Who knows how good Vyner Semenyo et al will be next season much like Kelly this past season.

Its who we are now!

I'm not too worried about it. There will be other quality centre backs we can easily afford to come in with the money we would have made.

And Ashton has proved he can get great deals. Kodjia, Kelly and Flint all superb deals. Reid and Bryan we got 16 for with one year left on contracts. We will get a load of money for Webster or he simply won't be sold.

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Up to a point Len but who thought we would be talking about15m for Webster a year ago.

The model dictates that we already have replacements within or lined up. Its up to MA/LJ to build again. Who knows how good Vyner Semenyo et al will be next season much like Kelly this past season.

Its who we are now!

Yep it’s a good debate.  I think we all understand the necessity to be financially viable but from what those that are much cleverer than I have said on here it seems that given our sales over the last 12 months that we are now in a good position on that front and therefore do not need to sell. Defence is such a crucial part of building a successful team so it would be a huge wrench to lose what I believe is the key component there in AW and we should do whatever it takes to keep him if indeed the paper talk is true. All conjecture at the moment though of course. 

If Lloyd Kelly hadn’t gone then I don’t think I would be as concerned as I am about losing Webster, if it happens. But right now we are looking to get Webster a new partner at best or two centre backs, who will have to form a partnership at worst. Yes I know we  did exactly that last season, but can we really hope that lightening can strike again and we produce a near perfect pairing? 

Other than that what are we looking at in defence,? Vyner, probably similar to Lloyd Kelly this season? Baker, well he’s going to be injured more often than not if the past is an indicator. Hunt, I can’t say I’m overly impressed by him personally. The mysterious Taylor Moore, can’t see him being in our first team I’m afraid. Not to mention the Keeper situation.

Still time for a load of new signings and loans though, but the Webster and Kalas partnership will be a hard act to follow. 

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not too worried about it. There will be other quality centre backs we can easily afford to come in with the money we would have made.

And Ashton has proved he can get great deals. Kodjia, Kelly and Flint all superb deals. Reid and Bryan we got 16 for with one year left on contracts. We will get a load of money for Webster or he simply won't be sold.

You're right although it's difficult to visualise a cb who could hit the ground running and give us as solid a defence as we enjoyed last season.

I've rated Semi Ajayi from Rotherham, whenever I've seen him and I think that he's probably top-end Championship quality but whether he can become Ajayidini would remain to be seen.

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If LJ brings in a tough ball playing centreback from Portugal for 3 or 4 million then it could become a case of Adam who ?

The point is there are no guarantees with players, I was worried that Webster was a bit of a ‘sick note ‘ but I’m sure many were surprised at the number of games he played. 

Players come and go , to be replaced by others for better or for worse.

We need to trust in the club .

The main worry for me is if we lose Webster would it affect Kalas decision on potentially joining us? 

I'd imagine Kalas likes the idea of joining us with Webster in the team, not so sure he'd be a happy without him meaning if Webster leaves and Kalas then decides the move isn't worth it we're in a very tough position. 

If Villa are after a cente back, offer them Baker....

A lot of speculation over the past 24 hours about Webster, starting off with that rediculous "£12m price set" story yesterday from teamtalk (more bollocks).

It's not surprising that he is getting attention, but we aren't in a position where we have to sell, and after selling Kelly, I would say that selling Webster is very unlikely unless he wants to go.

What people need to remember is that when we bought him, the fee was on the lower side, but was "rising to" about £8m if my memory serves me correct, mainly due to his injury record (which many were worried about). You would presume that there is an amount after so many appearances, possibly after promotion, and no doubt a significant sell on fee to Ipswich. Therefore before any bid is accepted, we need to take into account Ipswich's cut (assuming there is one), and then any profit on top for us. 

IF he is sold, it will be similar figures to the Kelly fee. He also only signed last summer, so is not going to be out of contract any time soon.

Personally if I was involved anywhere in the running of the club, I'd be making him a decent improvement on his contract based on last seasons performances pretty soon......

3 years on his deal, I think we're in a healthy position FFP wise. No real need to sell unless the player wants out. Webster doesn't strike me as that sort of player. 

Mepham went to Brighton for £12m, isn't as experienced as Webster, not sure how long he had left on his Brentford contract though. 

Gibson & Mawson went to Burnley/Swansea for £15m. Both did have Premier League experience though. 

Are we kidding ourselves thinking we'll get a similar fee for Webster?

37 minutes ago, lenred said:

Yep it’s a good debate.  I think we all understand the necessity to be financially viable but from what those that are much cleverer than I have said on here it seems that given our sales over the last 12 months that we are now in a good position on that front and therefore do not need to sell. Defence is such a crucial part of building a successful team so it would be a huge wrench to lose what I believe is the key component there in AW and we should do whatever it takes to keep him if indeed the paper talk is true. All conjecture at the moment though of course. 

Definitely conjecture Len. As you say the club don’t need to sell, but it’s about ‘’silly money’ and if one of six clubs hits the right number he will be gone, everyone has his price is the club mantra and they have been very upfront about that.

Hopefully we can replace him and Land Kalas. This money will certainly cover Kalas Palmer and Desilva if they want to come!!

9 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

3 years on his deal, I think we're in a healthy position FFP wise. No real need to sell unless the player wants out. Webster doesn't strike me as that sort of player. 

Mepham went to Brighton for £12m, isn't as experienced as Webster, not sure how long he had left on his Brentford contract though. 

Gibson & Mawson went to Burnley/Swansea for £15m. Both did have Premier League experience though. 

Are we kidding ourselves thinking we'll get a similar fee for Webster?

I don’t think we realistically expect to get 20m for him but that is what we’d sell for this summer all things considered. The market has so many factors. I do expect we would not stand in the way if we got 15m plus add ons but I think it is right to ask for more than previous sales. Flint was sold for more than similar players

Archived