IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

4 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

I would imagine it will be a similar situation to flint, where we announced he was leaving and signed a replacement on the same day

It wouldn’t be glamorous but going with a Kalas and Baker/Wright pairing wouldn’t exactly mean we were poor defensively. Point is we don’t have to panic buy either instead maybe focusing on getting the attacking players we need while being calm on the CB front. 

4 minutes ago, marmite said:

I know transfers happen late but losing  one of our best players 5 days before the opening match?  Waste of a pre season for my thinking if it happens.

Are you suggesting City don't bother with pre season, on the off chance someone comes in for a player and the time would have been wasted?

?

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

25 would be lovely. I've always thought any player is replaceable. 

But not only that, we will also then probably have more money from that sale to spend on a forward. So there are potentially many benefits to selling Webster, as long as we do get silly money for him.

As a fan rather than someone who has a financial interest in the club, the only thing that interests me is the squad at any one time. If one player’s transfer out leads to a stronger, more committed squad then I’m a happy bunny. £25m or whatever in the bank is not directly relevant to supporters if the squad is weakened by the player’s departure. 

A week ago, we were all praying he would stay. Now it appears his head has been turned and his poor performance on Saturday seems to have changed people’s minds. 

But you’re right; no one’s irreplaceable (we’ve never really replaced TA though).

22 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I'd like to see TM given a chance, or if not purchase a replacement not loan someone in.

I really believe even more now that Taylor Moore is being lined up to be the new Flinty. He intimidated at both ends of the pitch on Saturday. And to take Webster off and put him on, well it’s so obvious now.

I certainly won’t be upset if TM is given a chance, Wright and Baker filling the gap doesn’t fill me with confidence. 

I guess this Webster stuff is sent by the Yong/yang karma Hods to balance out the Kalas ( and Dasilva) signings. Just when you think we are settled...LJ must be doing his nut

Would be gutted to see Webster go, but his head has clearly been turned by brighton's offer of Premier league football. I've have said before i would of wanted at least £25,000,000 for Webster if he were to go, but if its £20,000,000 plus ad ons, that take the fee up to £30,000,000, then it's a no brainer. Gives us a bit of scope to try find a replacement, and to then strengthen the midfield and striking positions, on top of what ever money we had before. 

We just can't turn down that kind of money or deny the player that kind of opportunity. It sucks that it's a few days before our first game, but we have to trust that LJ and MA have targets lined up to replace him. Best of luck Webster, thanks for the memories

33 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Can’t underestimate how poorly timed this is, all our set play work, movement etc etc would’ve been focused around him, and now we have 4 days tl bring in probably 3 players to plug the games. We need some big big signings and this is where MA/LJ earn their cash. 

And all before a televised game against ******* Leeds; who we are long overdue a win against ! :ranting:

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I really believe even more now that Taylor Moore is being lined up to be the new Flinty. He intimidated at both ends of the pitch on Saturday. And to take Webster off and put him on, well it’s so obvious now.

I certainly won’t be upset if TM is given a chance, Wright and Baker filling the gap doesn’t fill me with confidence. 

Wright and Baker are both really decent center halves and lets not forger Baker is a 4 million signing?  Being pushed by TM and ZV ?  Cannot stand in way of prem sides just get rid as soon as 

19 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What it reinforces is that you have to grab your opportunities to go upwhen they come along as it’s the only way of keeping your best players 

Very true. If we had gone up he wouldn’t have considered Brighton or anyone similar. It seems some  players have a double stab at promotion, with their club or ‘sod it, I’ll just jump ship’

As I said earlier there is no loyalty in wanting to see contracts out, but if we had 3 years of him being injured I expect he would have expected every penny of the deal.

Sometimes I flooking hate football. 

6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Clubs have been making bids for Webster all summer. Obviously we have plans in place 

This.

The club will have plans in place as there will have been plenty of interest in him. Those plans won’t just involve a like for like replacement either - it opens up the opportunity in really investing in other areas of the team that wouldn’t have been possible.

Someone mentioned LJ now wanting 4 players in I think. I’m not surprised by that especially if 1 of those is a loan. 

Instead of being disappointed, we should be celebrating this - it’s unbelievable business for us. 

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What it reinforces is that you have to grab your opportunities to go upwhen they come along as it’s the only way of keeping your best players 

We have had two bites at the cherry and didn't gamble in either of the winter windows - lets hope there isn't going to be a third one.

If we don't go up this season then it could be JDS, Kalas and Brownhill off next summer.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I take your point(s) But you cannot sell your best players annually  infinitm - very difficult to build a promotion side in 12  months 

I'm on your side of this particular debate, Bob. I understand and accept the club's long term strategy, that it means we sell if the price is right and reinvest, and in that way progress within a sustainable model, but whilst no player is ever truly indispensable, I will watch Webster leave with a heavy heart and I think finding a like-for-like replacement will be very difficult. They will, I'm sure, have factored in the risk of losing him, and will have prepared a list of possible targets, but things change fast at this stage of the summer and some names on that list have probably been sold already, or have become unavailable for other reasons. Holding out for top dollar on Webster gets us a good deal, but it also narrows our options if we feel it generates a need for another signing.

Some people say there are plenty of defenders out there and that it's one of the easier positions to recruit for. Maybe, but I'm not so sanguine. Decent defenders available, maybe, but defenders of Webster's style and class? Not so sure. I think LJ will put a brave face on it, but privately I think he'll be disappointed and frustrated. The Webster-Kallas partnership was to be a major foundation of the team for the coming season and a late departure pretty much screws up a vital part of the pre-season preparation. A lot of that work now has to start over, very late in the day.

I don't dispute the need for a "proven" striker (word of the day, it seems) but whilst I like to see us play attacking football, I still believe the first fundamental requirement of a successful side is the platform of a solid defence on which to build. If it's a defence that can play out and build from the back, so much the better. I haven't seen too many at AG over the years who were in Webster's class when it comes to that side of the game. This is not comparable in any way with the departure of Flint and he (Webster) will be missed, big time. Not a criticism of the club, but as someone else said, it is deflating.

Bugger.   

5 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Wright and Baker are both really decent center halves and lets not forger Baker is a 4 million signing?  Being pushed by TM and ZV ?  Cannot stand in way of prem sides just get rid as soon as 

Baker WAS £4m signing, how much is he worth now, not even half with his sick record. We need strong, stability in the defence not filling in with Bailey Wright he doesn’t have to play right back! This feels wrong, and I bet Kalas is pissed off too.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Amazing that the Webster deal is actually the one that unlocks Maguire to Man United i.e Brighton and Leicester needed replacements lined up before allowing Maguire then Dunk to leave...

It’s a good chain. Webster and Dunk have both played for us, and Maguire would have done Bar that transfer cock up!

Jesus wept. That’s silly money. We’ve made them pay over the odds by miles. 

I’m not sure a replacement can be as good, but if we wanted a sustainable club then deals like this need to be the cornerstone of it. 

Good luck Webby. Thanks for the year!

14 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

As a fan rather than someone who has a financial interest in the club, the only thing that interests me is the squad at any one time. If one player’s transfer out leads to a stronger, more committed squad then I’m a happy bunny. £25m or whatever in the bank is not directly relevant to supporters if the squad is weakened by the player’s departure. 

A week ago, we were all praying he would stay. Now it appears his head has been turned and his poor performance on Saturday seems to have changed people’s minds. 

But you’re right; no one’s irreplaceable (we’ve never really replaced TA though).

Yeah I would say the further you go up the pitch, the harder it is to replace them. Though I would say Bobby was a great replacement for Tammy. Different type but scored a lot and a superb team player too.

11 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

No disrespect but I find that view a little short sighted - particularly given the regulations we have to contend with. It is exactly how I've felt though, and I don't think you can get away from feeling like that as a fan, it probably goes a long way to defining us as supporters.

Last season has given me a lot more confidence in the clubs ability to get the right players in as replacements & I am pretty sure they will have a number of targets lined up, should anyone meet our valuation of a player.

7 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

We just can't turn down that kind of money or deny the player that kind of opportunity. It sucks that it's a few days before our first game, but we have to trust that LJ and MA have targets lined up to replace him. Best of luck Webster, thanks for the memories

It just goes to show that bringing the transfer window to a close earlier hasn't resolved the issues clubs' had with it last year - I'm not sure what was expected, whether the number of players available on a free will be higher or lower, how much more frantic January will be.

Indirectly it could be good for the academy players of all teams but it does encourage teams to hoard players

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Jesus wept. That’s silly money. We’ve made them pay over the odds by miles. 

I’m not sure a replacement can be as good, but if we wanted a sustainable club then deals like this need to be the cornerstone of it. 

Good luck Webby. Thanks for the year!

Especially as Trippier went for less!

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

We have had two bites at the cherry and didn't gamble in either of the winter windows - lets hope there isn't going to be a third one.

If we don't go up this season then it could be JDS, Kalas and Brownhill off next summer.

One of them we were hamstrung- the second I'm coming round to the view that we might have been best had we rolled the dice.

Am assuming you mean the last 2 seasons.

I can add a third- and a less excusable one than either arguably. January 2008!

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:
21 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

It wouldn’t be glamorous but going with a Kalas and Baker/Wright pairing wouldn’t exactly mean we were poor defensively

Playing Wright on the LHS alongside Kalas would concern me a lot. Wright was played on the left when he first joined us and looked extremely fragile because he really hasn’t a good left foot. We’ve been spoiled by Webster’s two-footedness. To replace him we’ll either need a left-footer imo or another two-footer (if another exists within our price range). 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49169570

Brighton are close to completing a club-record £20m deal with Bristol City for centre-back Adam Webster.

No deal has been agreed yet but Brighton are hopeful talks will reach a successful conclusion.

Their current record transfer is the £17m they paid Dutch club AZ Alkmaar for Iran winger Alireza Jahanbakhsh.

Webster, 24, joined the Robins from Ipswich in the summer of 2018 and helped them finish eighth in the Championship last season.

Speaking earlier on Tuesday, City boss Lee Johnson confirmed there had been bids made for the defender.

"Once big moves start happening, you wouldn't believe the domino effect that has on all the rest of us," Johnson told BBC Radio Bristol.

"I expect there to be stories from Ashton Gate, both ins and outs. Webby has done fantastically well, but the market is the market.

"The value of the player, given a lot of the stuff that goes on in the domino effect, is always there.

"Nobody is unsellable, but at the same time you have got to be ready, and I won't recommend that we move anybody on if we don't feel like we have a succession plan," Johnson continued.

"I'm probably not quite as confident [of keeping Webster] as I was but that's mainly due to the sheer level of interest, and it's not just in Webby."

Meanwhile, Johnson added that ex-Portsmouth defender Nathan Thompson, a free agent, will not be joining City after a trial.

Archived