IGNORED

Adam Webster - Update - Sold to Brighton

Red Army 75

7 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Not a chance, even if he is still here. He would not be in the right frame of mind and the club are not going to risk him getting injured.

Think I agree after going to Palace

43 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Webster was at Brighton's training ground in Lancing today, Brighton fans that are frriends of mine who drink with some guys who work there have told me that is their understanding. They are not wind up merchants

No he wasn’t you clown, my mate had a picture with him today in Bedminster and took a picture to prove it

• Admin
53 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Webster was at Brighton's training ground in Lancing today, Brighton fans that are frriends of mine who drink with some guys who work there have told me that is their understanding. They are not wind up merchants

My hairdressers gardener overheard a conversation on the bus about someone who said he wasn't..

2 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Brighton's training ground is at Lancing, just west of the City of Brighton, I will give you that but only that..

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

So do we start Webster against Leeds? Tough decision that.

No way, wrap him up safely in cotton wool and bubble wrap, and gently place him in the jewellery drawer.  

What a disaster if he got broken now, £25million precious thing, to play him against Leeds would would be akin to balancing a Ming dynasty vase on a window sill in windy conditions... Crazy to risk it.. innit? 

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would love Leicester to stand form over Maguire.  For too long the big-boys gave fun rough-shod over the lower clubs.  Leicester don’t need to sell....and stand a good chance of finishing above Utd.

Exactly this.

Thought this when I heard Utd were interested, I do think Leicester will finish above them aswell. Yes I get Man Utd are a huge club will pay him a whole lot more etc, but as a squad they are a complete shambles at the moment, so not exactly a progressive move for his career, and unless he’s one of those strange people who supports 2 English clubs then it isn’t because he’s a Man Utd fan, he’s Sheff Utd through and through. So money talks again? 

12 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Exactly this.

Thought this when I heard Utd were interested, I do think Leicester will finish above them aswell. Yes I get Man Utd are a huge club will pay him a whole lot more etc, but as a squad they are a complete shambles at the moment, so not exactly a progressive move for his career, and unless he’s one of those strange people who supports 2 English clubs then it isn’t because he’s a Man Utd fan, he’s Sheff Utd through and through. So money talks again? 

It's true. But you get to shake Sir Bobby's hand, sit in the home dressing room at Old Trafford and potentially become a hero to millions across the globe. Plus your salary will double. It's hard to say no to that.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Deal very close now.

Tactically it's in our interests to hold this one up a bit to announce a signing or two when, or shortly after he goes. 

Palmer signing wasn't dependent on Webster cash so we will have money to burn if this deal happens...within reason. 

He *could* be gone by Sunday. Sorry 

Any details on the add ons? Journalist on twitter was suggesting that was the hold up

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Deal very close now.

Tactically it's in our interests to hold this one up a bit to announce a signing or two when, or shortly after he goes. 

Palmer signing wasn't dependent on Webster cash so we will have money to burn if this deal happens...within reason. 

Cheers Kid.

In all honesty, I have my heart set on him going because I can't overlook the fee and the risk of him getting injured in the near future which wipes out his valuation. At the start of summer I remember saying, 'I'd only let him go if someone came in with an absolutely ridiculous figure like £20m which they won't'. Turns out I was wrong and the market for a young English CB was more inflated than I anticipated.

I assume we are nearing our valuation as these discussions have been going on for a short while?

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Deal very close now.

Are we getting any closer to incomings/replacement?

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Deal very close now.

Shame that.

I remember you saying a while back that we had a class replacement in mind when Villa came knocking. Is that replacement still in mind and available?

Still can’t quite get over the fact we might actually sell a player for £25m. I mean, holy ****.

On Football Manager, earlier this year, I sold Webster (in Jan of the first season) to Watford for £10m thinking that was an excellent, excellent deal. Yet, here we are about to make more than double that. We’ve out Football Manager-ed Football Manager. 

You just love to see it. 

1 minute ago, Wade Wilson said:

Still can’t quite get over the fact we might actually sell a player for £25m. I mean, holy ****.

On Football Manager, earlier this year, I sold Webster (in Jan of the first season) to Watford for £10m thinking that was an excellent, excellent deal. Yet, here we are about to make more then double that. We’ve out Football Manager-ed Football Manager. 

You just love love to see it. 

In which case hold off on sending Steve L your CV for now!

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Any details on the add ons? Journalist on twitter was suggesting that was the hold up

I don't know. But, cards on the table, I was told weeks ago that £30m was a bargaining position and we'd accept £25m. That's the offer on the table (inc add ons) so unsure of specifics of hold up, aside from it's probably of our own manufacturing !

£5m is add ons 

1 minute ago, Wade Wilson said:

On Football Manager, earlier this year, I sold Webster (in Jan of the first season) to Watford for £10m thinking that was an excellent, excellent deal. Yet, here we are about to make more than double that. We’ve out Football Manager-ed Football Manager. 

You just love love to see it. 

Seems like loads but if he turns out to be very good in the prem then 25 million is not crazy money anymore for prem sides. Especially when getting a quality 24 year old centre back who is still improving.

People will say he might not be any good. Well that Wolves game last season he looked very comfortable, and Wolves were really going for the win with a full strength side.

I just can't see him being anything but quality at that level. He's just not got a weakness imo. And is very good at everything and will only get better. What a player. A good deal for us and Brighton imo. 

I expect a good amount from future profit too.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don't know. But, cards on the table, I was told weeks ago that £30m was a bargaining position and we'd accept £25m. That's the offer on the table (inc add ons) so unsure of specifics of hold up, aside from it's probably of our own manufacturing !

£5m is add ons 

Please don't say the replacement was Clarke on loan :laugh:

This feels odd.

Adam Webster is, bar none, the player I have seen in the last 40 years watching city who I believe has the highest ceiling. That means I put him in career potential above Andy Cole, Tammy Abraham and Stefan Marinovic - he’s genuinely that good.

So, why I am I not gutted?

Simply, this sale is not by accident. It’s by design. It’s by the club knowing the players they need, the style they want, developing and selling on. I can’t - nobody can - guarantee that Webster’s replacement will be better than Webster - and tbf, unlike when we sold Flint, it’s pretty unlikely. But what you can guarantee is a strategy, and, damn, I’ve not seen that this developed before.

If - as likely - Adam Webster goes it should be with all our best wishes. He’s better than this level. By a mile. He put everything in last year and deserves the opportunities to get himself international coverage. But we should also realise that there is a bigger plan which every level of the club is bought into. It might not be the next Webster from that plan - but I’d lay short money we won’t be worse off in the end.

Short version: Hurts losing your best player, but he deserves it and every confidence in the future even without AW.

Archived