IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

Strange one talent wise No problem, Palmer has it all for this level but if we do sign Palmer permanently as well as the Colchester lad it’s leaves up with a abundance of attacking midfielders, rather sign one of them (Palmer would be my preference as knows the demands of championship) and look to get a box centre forward type in . 

7 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Strange one talent wise No problem, Palmer has it all for this level but if we do sign Palmer permanently as well as the Colchester lad it’s leaves up with a abundance of attacking midfielders, rather sign one of them (Palmer would be my preference as knows the demands of championship) and look to get a box centre forward type in . 

I can see your point and if it's sign both but no striker I'd agree whole heartedly. The way I see it though Palmer would be 1st choice with the lad from Colchester as cover/competition at a good fee and still get a striker.

On 28/06/2019 at 08:32, Meh said:

You got to think so - he keeps ending Instagram posts with city and Chelsea hashtags and saying see you soon to Jay - just fits.

Jay we had an agreement for - Chelsea had to sell if we agreed terms- possibly somebody at Chelsea got some disapproving looks in the last few weeks as bad business for them - literally a steal.

Kalas is just fed up of loans and unlikely to make Chelsea team on a regular basis this season so perfect time for them to cash in - reported 8 million is good business for both.

Palmer has the talent to potentially play at top level - just needs to put in the application - out of the 3 he is the one I can see Chelsea wanting to retain. I think this is a big year for him to prove he is the real deal.

I don’t think Chelsea see him as a first team possible at all. If he can’t get a regular spot in either Blackburn or our first team then what chance has he got at a top Prem club?

His best route is to get fit and have a full pre season with us and prove he can do it consistently at this level 

i see him as an impact player, of the cameos he played last season he lit up the game with his vision and ability to go by players as well as pick out a killer pass

if he can show that he can produce consistently and for longer periods in games then we could benefit from him being in the squad/match day 11

16 hours ago, xerox6060 said:

Having signed Sammy an attacking midfielder does this now make Palmer's signing more unlikely ....

Exactly what I was thinking, though you probably have to look at Sammy as an upgrade on Joe Morrell in the squad. Surely LJ wants to have a pool of CMs to pick from rather than literally picking Pack and Brownhill everytime they are available...  

4 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Does anyone think he could play up front? 

Definitely. I think this may be what LJ was referring to. He’s very good receiving ball into feet with a man up his arse, but holding him off and turning sharply. Work rate is main question mark for me in any position / formation 

11 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

He can if he can improve his movement and work rate. I am just not sure he has it in him to really chase players, make constant runs and generally cover a lot of ground.

It's not so much that he won't sprint to close down a player etc, but will he do it constantly? Not sure he the mentality to do that but if he can then he could be brilliant up top. He has the pace, skill and is very hard to knock off the ball. He has the technical ability for sure to do that role.

LJ said he needs a preseason to get fitter. But what I don't get is he had a preseason with Blackburn, played a bit there, came to us, played and trained. How will a preseason get him any fitter? I find that a bit strange.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

He can if he can improve his movement and work rate. I am just not sure he has it in him to really chase players, make constant runs and generally cover a lot of ground.

It's not so much that he won't sprint to close down a player etc, but will he do it constantly? Not sure he the mentality to do that but if he can then he could be brilliant up top. He has the pace, skill and is very hard to knock off the ball. He has the technical ability for sure to do that role.

LJ said he needs a preseason to get fitter. But what I don't get is he had a preseason with Blackburn, played a bit there, came to us, played and trained. How will a preseason get him any fitter? I find that a bit strange.

LJ said Palmer needed a pre season with him. He obviously thinks his coaching can make a difference.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Because LJ wants players to play in a certain style/way, the Bristol City style/way (although no one on here knows what that ‘style/way’ actually is) and to do that Palmer needs to be fitter and to learn the ‘style /way’ LJ wants the team to play and a full preseason would be required to achieve that.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

LJ said Palmer needed a pre season with him. He obviously thinks his coaching can make a difference.

Oh right, well maybe he meant tactical stuff and not fitness

1 hour ago, paul_fox said:

As in a 20 goals a season striker - absolutely not.....  As in a like a certain striker Tom Nicholls - absolutely yes.

9 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Perhaps he’s hinting to everyone that he wants to come here. 

Kalas as some are predicting signing soon could of chosen a few clubs. 

I get the impression they enjoy working with LJ as Szmodics stated it was him that swayed his choice. 

When you look at the teams in the championship, there are not many who have the stability, backing and structure like our club. We are now an attractive proposition for good players otherwise the signings we have made to date would not have necessarily joined us

LJ is a key part of that stability when all around us are chopping and changing every couple of months 

If I was a young player at a Prem club or a ambitious EFL player, I would be falling over myself to sign if I was approached by City when they can provide a platform to develop and get a move to the Prem or go up with us

Something tells me we have upped the stakes this coming season and the footballing world need to take note

Watch our promotion odds get slashed over the next month or so!!!

7 minutes ago, BarnzFM said:

Difference is that Palmer has never worked as hard as Bobby

In truth, Bobby Reid never worked especially hard until he went to Back2Action the summer before he was played as a striker. He was probably on the verge of being sold for c.£500k, destined to spend his career in the lower leagues, but he 'found' fitness in a way we'd never seen before. It was his epiphany. He returned to us so much stronger, so much faster and with so much more stamina. He, together with LJ changing his position, became hard working.

Kasey could change too but he'd have to want to. Does he have that desire?

2 hours ago, BarnzFM said:

Difference is that Palmer has never worked as hard as Bobby

The difference will be goals not work rate. Watch how many Bobby scores next season. He’s going to tear up the championship and I wouldn’t be surprised if Cardiff go straight back up. 

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

In truth, Bobby Reid never worked especially hard until he went to Back2Action the summer before he was played as a striker. He was probably on the verge of being sold for c.£500k, destined to spend his career in the lower leagues, but he 'found' fitness in a way we'd never seen before. It was his epiphany. He returned to us so much stronger, so much faster and with so much more stamina. He, together with LJ changing his position, became hard working.

Kasey could change too but he'd have to want to. Does he have that desire?

If LJ can make Kasey anything like Bobby in his work rate and movement then he will achieve what looks like the impossible.

Some players just don't like pushing their bodies to the limits. Bobby and Weimann will sprint and sprint, and then on about 70-80 minutes will be struggling, visibly in pain, but will just keep going.

I can't imagine Kasey ever being like that but if he can be even close to that kind of player in his work rate then he's worth signing, because he is so naturally good with the ball at his feet.

3 minutes ago, swanker said:

The difference will be goals not work rate. Watch how many Bobby scores next season. He’s going to tear up the championship and I wouldn’t be surprised if Cardiff go straight back up. 

I fancy Cardiff to go up automatically. Bobby will score 20 plus if he stays fit all season.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I fancy Cardiff to go up automatically. Bobby will score 20 plus if he stays fit all season.

I’m not sure Bobby will play enough at Cardiff, or play in the right way, to even hit double figures.

Don’t think Palmer could be played up top either, though, but could Szmodics?

5 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I’m not sure Bobby will play enough at Cardiff, or play in the right way, to even hit double figures.

Don’t think Palmer could be played up top either, though, but could Szmodics?

You might be right as it is Warnock. Surprised he ever signed Bobby. Hope you are right as i'd happily have him back here.

Szmodics is more of a forward than midfielder from what I have seen. But more in behind a main forward. He has played as the main striker I think too, so would be interesting to see. He is stronger than what he looks and is quick.

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

What makes you think that? He hardly played last season because of the style of football that Cardiff play & with Warnock still there & after playing decades of the same football, what makes you think they will now play to Reid’s strengths?

They had a really good season the season before last which nobody expected & I just can’t see them having that affect on the division again & their current signings don’t suggest that they are planning on having a right go at things unless they are confident in a squad that has lost 2 or 3 of their mainstay midfielders.

Or maybe I’m just living in hope that they are back to normality?

4 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

What makes you think that? He hardly played last season because of the style of football that Cardiff play & with Warnock still there & after playing decades of the same football, what makes you think they will now play to Reid’s strengths?

They had a really good season the season before last which nobody expected & I just can’t see them having that affect on the division again & their current signings don’t suggest that they are planning on having a right go at things unless they are confident in a squad that has lost 2 or 3 of their mainstay midfielders.

Or maybe I’m just living in hope that they are back to normality?

He hardly played at prem level, but when he did I thought he looked very good. Just think Warnock should play him every game so just guessing he will.

I am pretty sure Cardiff will be bringing in more players. But the ones they still have will be very good at this level. Murphy and Hoilett on the wings are a right handful. Bobby in behind Zahore. Plenty of pace and power and a big, well organised defence that Warnock always has in his teams. 

Bit of strengthening in the transfer market, and with a manager like Warnock who gets results at this level, I just expect them to go up certainly more than I fancy the other 2 that came down.

Archived