IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

All for backing yourself but why not a little common sense? He isn’t young anymore in terms of development. Chelsea aren’t known for playing young players. There are about 8 players in front of him at Chelsea at least. For the last 2 seasons he has struggled to cement a place in midtable championship sides. 

Of course no one knows what is going on but if he thinks Lampard being there is going to help his chances then he has been given bad advice. I’ll be the first to say I was wrong if he makes it but don’t see Chelsea potential in him. 

2 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Brilliant - that’s 3 games for the season! Don’t know what his problem is but he has not played well with any consistency since he was sidelined with illness, how long ago was that? Yet he still managed to get a place in the team for most matches - no wonder our 11 wants away!

It took Paterson till about December to start hitting form. Not sure if that was down to the illness the season before. But I thought from then on he was mainly very good right up till the end of the season.

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

All for backing yourself but why not a little common sense? He isn’t young anymore in terms of development. Chelsea aren’t known for playing young players. There are about 8 players in front of him at Chelsea at least. For the last 2 seasons he has struggled to cement a place in midtable championship sides. 

Of course no one knows what is going on but if he thinks Lampard being there is going to help his chances then he has been given bad advice. I’ll be the first to say I was wrong if he makes it but don’t see Chelsea potential in him. 

Perhaps he enjoys the football lifestyle more than being a footballer?

Just now, smokey live said:

Perhaps he enjoys the football lifestyle more than being a footballer?

Maybe and Chelsea(London)is home for him. I didn’t want my post to come off as Kasey is dumb or what not. Which is why I said no one knows what is going on. Just from a football standpoint I can’t see it being the best for his career. 

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It took Paterson till about December to start hitting form. Not sure if that was down to the illness the season before. But I thought from then on he was mainly very good right up till the end of the season.

I thought the same. LJ gave him a little break late on and when he came back he was back to his best. I have a sneaky feeling Pato might be a key player this season now he is over that illness.

Funny how people don't want him here when it looks like he won't be coming here :laughcont:

I really can't see him breaking into the Chelsea squad let alone the team but he could have been a very good/important player for us.

Ah well.

Next.

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Makes you think he’s being very badly advised.

When you look at the massive impact his fellow Chelsea loanees Abraham, Dasilva and Kalas had for us at Championship level, if they still couldn’t get a sniff of the Chelsea first team, you have to wonder what he thinks he’s done to have a better chance than any of them.

I hoped we could bring him in this season, as he’s got something about him, but it’s fair to say that even among City fans, the jury is out as to whether he can make it at Championship level, let alone top end Prem.

We talk about only signing players who really want to play for Bristol City and have the right ‘DNA’.  Well, it looks like KP may be wanting in both these requirements.  Even if we were originally interested in bringing him in,  this should be the signal to put that behind us and move onto other targets.

A shame but he’s made his choice now.

21 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

When you look at the massive impact his fellow Chelsea loanees Abraham, Dasilva and Kalas had for us at Championship level, if they still couldn’t get a sniff of the Chelsea first team, you have to wonder what he thinks he’s done to have a better chance than any of them.

I hoped we could bring him in this season, as he’s got something about him, but it’s fair to say that even among City fans, the jury is out as to whether he can make it at Championship level, let alone top end Prem.

We talk about only signing players who really want to play for Bristol City and have the right ‘DNA’.  Well, it looks like KP may be wanting in both these requirements.  Even if we were originally interested in bringing him in,  this should be the signal to put that behind us and move onto other targets.

“his choice now” probably doesn’t matter though. Only Frank’s does.

Lampwick is giving the fringe players a chance to show their worth on this trip. That doesn’t mean they will end up in his squad. Those that don’t - probably KP - will then have to reconsider. Of course he wants to give Chelsea another shot while he thinks they want him. But they may not.

This could have legs yet.

27 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

This is exactly how I feel about the situation. 

I’m disappointed because I think he has the X factor. I think he sees and delivers passes in a way I haven’t seen before. 

I heard Ferguson say he only signed Ronaldo because the rest of the team told him to. In his first season I recall Ronaldo being all tricks and no impact at all. But he is somewhere on a Pilates machine as I type even now trying to make himself better.

If Kasey wants to stay at Chelsea then fair enough. Seems like the wrong decision for his development but then let’s move on.

43 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Or he doesn’t want to come back because he got little gametime under LJ....and wasn’t convinced that would change this season.

Players we are interested in must turn us down all the time.  Doesn’t mean they have the wrong DNA.

Who knows what offers he has on the table.

Maybe he wants to give it one final shot at Chelsea, and sees a window of opportunity under Lampard.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Or he doesn’t want to come back because he got little gametime under LJ....and wasn’t convinced that would change this season.

Players we are interested in must turn us down all the time.  Doesn’t mean they have the wrong DNA.

Who knows what offers he has on the table.

Maybe he wants to give it one final shot at Chelsea, and sees a window of opportunity under Lampard.

Fair enough, but out of the three Chelsea lads, he did the least to warrant regular game time, so he can’t really complain and certainly didn’t appear to be busting a gut to improve the situation on the pitch.

Some players work hard to improve, but maybe he’s just happy to be loaned to club where he’ll have a better chance of being in the starting 11. If that’s the case, imho that’s someone who we need to steer clear of anyway.  The way we’re set up now, we want players who increase their value, not just tread water.

Could obviously be reading this all wrong, but with our recent record with flair players, it doesn’t bode well for getting the best out of him, even if we did have him here.

I’m sure we’ll be watching the situation at Chelsea with interest and I’ll be amazed if he breaks through, but good luck to him anyway.

47 minutes ago, Leveller said:

“his choice now” probably doesn’t matter though. Only Frank’s does.

Lampwick is giving the fringe players a chance to show their worth on this trip. That doesn’t mean they will end up in his squad. Those that don’t - probably KP - will then have to reconsider. Of course he wants to give Chelsea another shot while he thinks they want him. But they may not.

This could have legs yet.

Certainly a fair comment that Lampard will call the shots, but it’s interesting that we managed to get the Dasilva and Kalas deals over the line before Lampard was appointed, but was not the case with Palmer.

It may just be that we didn’t treat any negotiations with KP with the same urgency as the other two, or possibly we were never aiming to bring him in at all, though his twitter activity suggests something could have been happening.

I wonder if it just wasn’t meant to be and he wasn’t ready to buy into what the club are trying to do.

If so, it’s better that KP and BC go their separate ways.

It's a strange one, because I think that most of us would have welcomed Kasey, and think that he would have been a decent signing. However at the same time, I don't think many will be disappointed that he hasn't signed.

He has the ability to be a very good player at this level, but in order for that to happen he has to be played in the right position, in the right way. I don't think he suits the way we setup, and personally think that Szmodics has the potential to be a better fit for us.

Good luck to him, he obviously feels that he has something to give Chelsea, or just wants one final chance under yet another new manager. He'll be out on loan though shortly, and possibly even sold in January. Theres no way he going to force his way into that Chelsea team. Tammy has a better chance this season, and even then it won't be as a regular. Palmer is no where near Tammy's quality.

Of the three Chelsea boys we had last season, we have signed the two most important ones. LJ has said that we're now looking at players who can make the next step up, and I don't see Palmer as being somebody who can do that.

That being said, if somehow he does end up back here, I'd still welcome the signing, as he does have something to offer - another club in the bag if you will.

4 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i think Kasey could be another Tomlin. very talented but does not always give is all. i feel we need players who are 100% committed. i might be wrong. 

I think that is key for what LJ wants. And I cannot imagine Palmer ever being a player that will sprint around like some of our players.

28 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I’d be quite happy if he joined but not overly disappointed if he doesn’t if that makes sense.

I wanted him here and all the tweets etc pointed towards it happening so I think he may have messed up our plans a bit.

LJ wanted a full season with him and my belief was LJ had seen enough to see their is a player he could mould with Szmodics as back up to develop.

I think this is dead if does not happen in next couple of days as the pre-season bit was key. Cannot see LJ suddenly being interested if KP is made available for loan in like 3 weeks time.

Think KP may have shot himself in the foot - a chance to be coached for a specific role and potentially a lot of game time at a club he knows and obviously enjoyed.

Can’t believe all of the sudden did not want him here comments as I’m fairly sure LJ did.

9 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

To be fair Harry Kane was pretty shite on loan went back on blew up! 

I always played shite against us!

Exactly as I see it ,

22 minutes ago, Ohbasso said:

Why do people think he’s turned us down? Maybe we can’t agree a fee with Chelsea or Lampard might want to have a look at him on their trip to Dublin before deciding to sell or loan him out or have I missed something?

Exactly as I see it ,think there is is a reasonable chance he could still join us, I’m thinking how fortunate we were in sign jay and Kalas before lampard came in to Chelsea otherwise this could of been them too. 

I can understand Lampard wanting to have a look at Palmer as he’s a very talented lad. However, with Chelsea unlikely to accept anything less than a top 6 finish, even allowing for the deadly dull Jorginho and Drinkwater, I can’t see how he breaks into a midfield that could still boast Kante, Berkeley, Loftus-Cheek, Kovacic, van Ginkel and Pulisic. I expect another loan beckons, and I hope it’s with us but we might move on if LJ can’t get enough pre-season into him. 

2 hours ago, Taz said:

It's a strange one, because I think that most of us would have welcomed Kasey, and think that he would have been a decent signing. However at the same time, I don't think many will be disappointed that he hasn't signed.

He has the ability to be a very good player at this level, but in order for that to happen he has to be played in the right position, in the right way. I don't think he suits the way we setup, and personally think that Szmodics has the potential to be a better fit for us.

Good luck to him, he obviously feels that he has something to give Chelsea, or just wants one final chance under yet another new manager. He'll be out on loan though shortly, and possibly even sold in January. Theres no way he going to force his way into that Chelsea team. Tammy has a better chance this season, and even then it won't be as a regular. Palmer is no where near Tammy's quality.

Of the three Chelsea boys we had last season, we have signed the two most important ones. LJ has said that we're now looking at players who can make the next step up, and I don't see Palmer as being somebody who can do that.

That being said, if somehow he does end up back here, I'd still welcome the signing, as he does have something to offer - another club in the bag if you will.

I would’ve liked all 3 but as you say, Tomas Kalas and Jay Dasilva were the no-brainers, especially once Lloyd Kelly left.

I don’t think comparisons with Lee Tomlin from attitude / DNA are fair at all.  Kasey has shown none of that side at all.  Even the song, he seemed embarrassed about rather than revelling in it.

He might not be a workhorse but in his limited minutes I saw a player willing to press and in terms of comparing to Pato, a player willing to tackle, not dangle a leg in half-heartedly.

In saying that I did wonder how he’d fit in to our team with Szmodics and Paterson.

So disappointed that he appears not to be coming, but I doubt he’s not the first target we’ve missed out on this summer, nor the last.  And we don’t know reason either.  He may be in Ireland hoping that we could’ve done a deal.

Archived