IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Fair enough.

But the guy was far in excess of 90% of City players at that time in terms of technical ability.

He was before his time and be worth millions today with professional coaching which was sadly lacking then imo.

Agree with your first sentence. Second one, I still think that the most talented have to work hard for the side to achieve trophies and promotions.

He was more talented than Tom Ritchie but who would most of us who watched them, place higher in value to the team?

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wasn’t there yesterday, but talk of a 4231 - narrow(er) 3 - I can see the logic in that, if we don’t attack one dimensionally, i.e. through the middle.  If it’s about getting Eliasson, Szmodics etc into advanced positions down the sides of the penalty area, like Norwich, Man City, etc, rather than wider (statistically goals don’t come from very wide crosses).  But that won’t happen unless the full-backs provide options too.

As you know Dave, it was me that highlighted the 4-2-3-1 ?

Now - KP and how he fits into that. Yesterday, we played narrow. All about runners, movement etc to get ahead of the play and stretch the play - is that Kaseys game - nah.

But at the same time, is it Nics game? No, but he played and wasn’t that involved because he pulled left.

So, my question is in a 4-2-3-1, are you better off with one of your three who will break - but break wide, or one who will stay in a 3, might unlock things but won’t break.

Horses-Courses....

Just now, cidered abroad said:

Agree with your first sentence. Second one, I still think that the most talented have to work hard for the side to achieve trophies and promotions.

He worked as hard as any player.

But I'll leave it there.

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As you know Dave, it was me that highlighted the 4-2-3-1 ?

Now - KP and how he fits into that. Yesterday, we played narrow. All about runners, movement etc to get ahead of the play and stretch the play - is that Kaseys game - nah.

But at the same time, is it Nics game? No, but he played and wasn’t that involved because he pulled left.

So, my question is in a 4-2-3-1, are you better off with one of your three who will break - but break wide, or one who will stay in a 3, might unlock things but won’t break.

Horses-Courses....

Could our one up top, be the one to break wide?  And then one or more of the 3 “forward midfielders” be tasked with filling the hole?

Still remember Kodjia v Ipswich (2-1 Flint 2, Pitman) giving one of the best performances at running the channels in a 4231 (Tomlin, Freeman and Bryan as the 3 in front of Pack and Smith), dragging Berra and Tonmy Smith all over the pitch, but especially wide (and out of position)....allowing Tomlin and Freeman especially to get into the box.  Also I seem to recall Korey having 3 or 4 shots that day, as we were able to squeeze right up as Kodjia retained possession or earned throw-in in their final third.

Masterclass of unselfish forward movement - not bad for someone with an immature football brain.

Does LJ see Kieffer Moore as his channel runner?  Not sure I see Diedhiou doing it...Weimann maybe.

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Could our one up top, be the one to break wide?  And then one or more of the 3 “forward midfielders” be tasked with filling the hole?

Still remember Kodjia v Ipswich (2-1 Flint 2, Pitman) giving one of the best performances at running the channels in a 4231 (Tomlin, Freeman and Bryan as the 3 in front of Pack and Smith), dragging Berra and Tonmy Smith all over the pitch, but especially wide (and out of position)....allowing Tomlin and Freeman especially to get into the box.  Also I seem to recall Korey having 3 or 4 shots that day, as we were able to squeeze right up as Kodjia retained possession or earned throw-in in their final third.

Masterclass of unselfish forward movement - not bad for someone with an immature football brain.

Does LJ see Kieffer Moore as his channel runner?  Not sure I see Diedhiou doing it...Weimann maybe.

I think all I hear about Moore is a very willing runner - so short answer is yes. Interestingly in game 3 Matty Taylor played the “big man” role which plays to your theory...

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think all I hear about Moore is a very willing runner - so short answer is yes. Interestingly in game 3 Matty Taylor played the “big man” role which plays to your theory...

Watkins in Game 1....no more willing than him!

• Admin
22 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Very shadow squad.

Am sure super Frank these were fringe players he wanted to look at before making a decision about their futures 

Agree with above we've moved on from him now 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Am sure super Frank these were fringe players he wanted to look at before making a decision about their futures 

Agree with above we've moved on from him now 

Yes, and if you were Kasey, and were given a slim chance to make it at Chelsea, you’d probably give it a whirl.  I know we triggered an option on Jay, but I’m still a bit surprised be got the deal done.  Perhaps the fact that Chelsea had agreed a deal with us, showed him that his future was not with Chelsea.  Palmer still clinging to that hope, and good luck to him.

Could still end up here on loan by August, but he will have allowed the likes of Sammie Szmodics to have stolen a march on him.

9 hours ago, RedEyez said:

Sarcasm - how refreshing !

Lowest form of wit apparently? Seriously though, if I was a Chelsea supporter I’d be worried about the coming season if Palmer was in the first team plans! As good as some think he is, he wasn’t a first team starter for us or Blackburn. 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, and if you were Kasey, and were given a slim chance to make it at Chelsea, you’d probably give it a whirl.  I know we triggered an option on Jay, but I’m still a bit surprised be got the deal done.  Perhaps the fact that Chelsea had agreed a deal with us, showed him that his future was not with Chelsea.  Palmer still clinging to that hope, and good luck to him.

Could still end up here on loan by August, but he will have allowed the likes of Sammie Szmodics to have stolen a march on him.

@Davefevs

After seeing Szmodics so far, he has a bit of the touch of the Bobby Reid about him; and you can see where LJ is going for next season.

I can't see where Palmer fits into the plan. If he was to come, I can't see him being on the starting 11; only a continued option off the bench.

No surprise to me therefore, that he's decided to try again at Chelsea. Shame as he was something different for us, but as always we move on.

1 hour ago, ncnsbcfc said:

@Davefevs

After seeing Szmodics so far, he has a bit of the touch of the Bobby Reid about him; and you can see where LJ is going for next season.

I can't see where Palmer fits into the plan. If he was to come, I can't see him being on the starting 11; only a continued option off the bench.

No surprise to me therefore, that he's decided to try again at Chelsea. Shame as he was something different for us, but as always we move on.

One of the things you can see with Sammie is how hungry he is to prove himself at a higher level and you can feel his excitement and commitment to giving it his all.

KP is a very talented player but with his Chelsea pedigree he seems to come at it from the opposite direction. 

1 hour ago, ncnsbcfc said:

@Davefevs

I saw Palmer coming here because LJ won’t be able to get us the striker we need, e.g. the no risk 20 goal striker is out of our price range, so I saw him playing a bit more strikerless at times. And I think Palmer might’ve been very useful in that system.

1 hour ago, Denbury Red said:

Palmer played for Chelsea yesterday on their tour and played some good passes (highlights on the Chelsea website)  - so it looks that either he or Chelsea have decided he’s staying put for the time being

Keep up kid

FL needs to decide on his Prem squad - don’t forget he has a limited number of slots. So he is, quite sensibly, trying out the players available to him. 

If Palmer isn’t ultimately part of that squad  then I imagine he will be available again. We will have to wait and see. 

15 minutes ago, City Ben said:

FL needs to decide on his Prem squad - don’t forget he has a limited number of slots. So he is, quite sensibly, trying out the players available to him. 

If Palmer isn’t ultimately part of that squad  then I imagine he will be available again. We will have to wait and see. 

As much LJ will understand this it must be  irritating for LJ because he keeps saying if we are to bring Palmer back and get some good out of him he wanted a full pre-season with him.

Archived