IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

On 10/07/2019 at 19:58, OldlandReddies said:

Think we need to give up on this now. Think LJ has and with the squad as it is now, I don't think he would have many opportunities. Good luck to him going forward though.

I don’t think it was ever a realistic possibility - apparently he and LJ had a fruity exchange before he went back to Chelsea regarding the lack of game time he was given whilst with our football club ...

On 21/07/2019 at 23:10, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t think it was ever a realistic possibility - apparently he and LJ had a fruity exchange before he went back to Chelsea regarding the lack of game time he was given whilst with our football club ...

And yet he seems to have listened and worked hard on his fitness over the summer. If so, good for him as it can only help him translate his talent into consistent performances, wherever he ends up.

LJ says they are still in touch, though I doubt that will result in us signing him as we have more pressing priorities.

If he really has upped his game fitness-wise he could fit in well at Norwich I think, though he might have to wait for his chance.

21 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

He was good in patches for us but was he first XI good? Jury seems to still be out and does he do enough defensively? 

It is a strange one. He played well in about 4 games and only once he started I thought he played well, Vs Bolton in the cup. Yet most of the forum would love him back.

I'm 50/50 on it. He clearly has superb talent on the ball and vision. But will he ever fulfill his potential?

His work rate is not very good. Not sure if it is fitness or effort, or a bit of both. I'd say it's probably mainly fitness. He seems to work pretty hard but then not manage to do it again and again.

The biggest thing for me is it doesn't seem like he has progressed from his Huddersfield days.

That was quite a while ago now and if he isnt developing in that time then I'm not sure he will develop enough from here to his mid 20s.

Everyone is different in their rates of development. But if anything he seemed a better player a couple of years ago, though that could be down to tactics and who he played with - him behind Fam never looked right.

But he could be amazing in the future. It's so hard to know, but if LJ feels he can't ever get Kasey to press like he wants and make runs like he wants, then he is right to avoid trying to sign him.

Fitness and work rate seems important to LJ. He says about being the fittest team in the league. I can't see Kasey being in his plans when such things are so important to him. Szmodics however seems to never stop running.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It is a strange one. He played well in about 4 games and only once he started I thought he played well, Vs Bolton in the cup. Yet most of the forum would love him back.

I'm 50/50 on it. He clearly has superb talent on the ball and vision. But will he ever fulfill his potential?

His work rate is not very good. Not sure if it is fitness or effort, or a bit of both. I'd say it's probably mainly fitness. He seems to work pretty hard but then not manage to do it again and again.

The biggest thing for me is it doesn't seem like he has progressed from his Huddersfield days.

That was quite a while ago now and if he isnt developing in that time then I'm not sure he will develop enough from here to his mid 20s.

Everyone is different in their rates of development. But if anything he seemed a better player a couple of years ago, though that could be down to tactics and who he played with - him behind Fam never looked right.

But he could be amazing in the future. It's so hard to know, but if LJ feels he can't ever get Kasey to press like he wants and make runs like he wants, then he is right to avoid trying to sign him.

Fitness and work rate seems important to LJ. He says about being the fittest team in the league. I can't see Kasey being in his plans when such things are so important to him. Szmodics however seems to never stop running.

Agree with a lot of what you say but his work rate isn't poor ala Tomlin / JET

IIRC on his debut Johnson specifically mentioned him closing down and putting in a sliding tackle on their left back (Bolton?), given he only had fleeting opportunities thereafter I think its unfair to pinpoint this as a key reason for not signing him. That being said it is generally accepted he isn't a "must-sign" in the same was as Kalas and Dasilva were for whatever reason.

As you say his vision and clever passes to the likes of Weimann could prove invaluable over the course of a season, maybe Szmodics will be able to provide this but we don't yet know this to be a fact.

IMO the best option for us would be a season-long loan with an option in January to make it permanent assuming he proves himself to be a key player here, whether Chelsea and Kasey Palmer himself would be happy with this is a different proposition altogether.

1 minute ago, Dolman_Stand said:

IIRC on his debut Johnson specifically mentioned him closing down and putting in a sliding tackle on their left back (Bolton?), given he only had fleeting opportunities thereafter I think its unfair to pinpoint this as a key reason for not signing him. That being said it is generally accepted he isn't a "must-sign" in the same was as Kalas and Dasilva were for whatever reason.

As you say his vision and clever passes to the likes of Weimann could prove invaluable over the course of a season, maybe Szmodics will be able to provide this but we don't yet know this to be a fact.

IMO the best option for us would be a season-long loan with an option in January to make it permanent assuming he proves himself to be a key player here, whether Chelsea and Kasey Palmer himself would be happy with this is a different proposition altogether.

That’s a pretty fair assessment, and I wouldn’t be against another loan if we can’t get him permanently...but that is on the assumption that we are gonna play one up top and Palmer could play any of the 3 positions behind if we are going 4231 with a narrow 3.  I don’t think he’s best used in a wide 3. 

9 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Yep probably best if that is an option. I think it might be more lack of natural fitness than simply not trying.

I think JET and Tomlin were on whole different levels in work rate and fitness to Palmer. I think they simply did not try to get fit or try to close down or track back.

Palmer seems to have more effort on the pitch but just didn't look like he had the fitness to chase often, again and again. Or to constantly be on the move for teammates to pass to.

33 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I think the fact it was his first game is probably telling. He was fresh keen to make an impression and had team/LJ's instructions fresh in mind and noticeably put himself about more than in later appearances. It's that kind of things that probably had LJ saying he needed to have a full pre season with him. Needed to get those kind of things as an instinctive part of his game.

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

More detail?

The same ‘person’ who told me about Assombalonga being a distinct possibility until his agent suddenly asked for £55k per week and the same ‘person’ who told me that Bobby was coming back on loan until the dreadful aircraft incident - it was the same ‘person’ who told me this about Kasey ... 

46 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The same ‘person’ who told me about Assombalonga being a distinct possibility until his agent suddenly asked for £55k per week and the same ‘person’ who told me that Bobby was coming back on loan until the dreadful aircraft incident - it was the same ‘person’ who told me this about Kasey ... 

If an agent asks for 55k per week for a player in the championship then said agent is a ******** and out of touch with reality - which I can't believe.

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You don’t believe Assombalonga wanted £55k per week to join us? Ok, fair enough, entitled to your view, but he did ...

I'm sure he would want that, who wouldn't ?

But the reality is that there is no way an agent would seriously ask BCFC for 55k a week for a player - that is a ridiculous notion as any agent operating at that level would have an idea of the wage structures for clubs in the championship.

21 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

If an agent asks for 55k per week for a player in the championship then said agent is a ******** and out of touch with reality - which I can't believe.

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You don’t believe Assombalonga wanted £55k per week to join us? Ok, fair enough, entitled to your view, but he did ...

I can certainly believe it, because rumour suggests he is on that amount currently!!!  Why would he want to take a pay cut when he’s in demand.

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

But the reality is that there is no way an agent would seriously ask BCFC for 55k a week for a player - that is a ridiculous notion as any agent operating at that level would have an idea of the wage structures for clubs in the championship.

Well, like I said, you’re obviously entitled to your view, but it’s true. The source is impeccable and @Kid in the Riot has quoted the same £55k per week figure on here regarding Assombalonga - and he seems to have a few good connections as lots on here hang on his every word ...

18 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Do you really believe that no championship players are on £50k+ ?!

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Do you really believe that no championship players are on £50k+ ?!

Yes.

Its a ridiculous notion.

Other than those with relegated clubs who had no relegation clauses.

23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, like I said, you’re obviously entitled to your view, but it’s true. The source is impeccable and @Kid in the Riot has quoted the same £55k per week figure on here regarding Assombalonga - and he seems to have a few good connections as lots on here hang on his every word ...

I think the slight flaw in your rumour (if I'm understanding you correctly) is that we were only after Britt on loan, so I'm not getting why his agent wouldve been demanding £55k? It'd have been Middlesbrough making the demands.

The wage is right though plus a £2m loan fee!

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Yes.

Its a ridiculous notion.

You are wrong. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think the slight flaw in your rumour (if I'm understanding you correctly) is that we were only after Britt on loan, so I'm not getting why his agent wouldve been demanding £55k? It'd have been Middlesbrough making the demands.

The wage is right though plus a £2m loan fee!

You are wrong. 

I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The wage is right though plus a £2m loan fee.

Cheers for the reply. I remember you posting on here that Assombalonga wanted £55k a week to come to our club, and I was told exactly the same figure. And you say ‘the wage is right’ - so did your sources confirm that he wanted that exhorbitant weekly wage? 

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Yes.

Its a ridiculous notion.

Stoke reportedly had 9 players on £50k a week last season despite relegation clauses. Ryan Shawcross was said to be on £55k.

Bony was said to be on £90k a week at Swansea!

There are maybe 3 or 4 Championship clubs who would pay some players around the £50k mark.

Maybe one fewer with Villa gone, though I look forward to seeing them back in two years in financial meltdown. It's what they do!

25 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cheers for the reply. I remember you posting on here that Assombalonga wanted £55k a week to come to our club, and I was told exactly the same figure. And you say ‘the wage is right’ - so did your sources confirm that he wanted that exhorbitant weekly wage? 

Yes, we would have had to pay £55k pw + loan fee. I  believe @Mr Popodopolous did the calcs on total spend for less than 6 months 

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Yes.

Its a ridiculous notion.

But when Assombalonga signed in summer 2017, Boro were exactly that, a relegated club, looking to bounce back.  They paid Forest £15m, and a wage commensurate to that fee....probably doubling what wages he was on at Forest.  £55k is not ridiculous, it is rumoured that Scott Hogan was on £40k at Villa, with nothing like the reputation of Britt.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Think it’s you that’s out of touch, Jordan Rhodes for a start was on £40k a week when he signed for Middlesboro and that was 3 and a half years ago.

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, we would have had to pay £55k pw + loan fee. I  believe @Mr Popodopolous did the calcs on total spend for less than 6 months 

Crikey!

£55K a week for, say, 25 weeks plus £2M loan fee would have worked out as £3,375,000 for essentially 5 months, equating to £8.1M per annum for 1 player.

?

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Crikey!

£55K a week for, say, 25 weeks plus £2M loan fee would have worked out as £3,375,000 for essentially 5 months, equating to £8.1M per annum for 1 player.

?

Yep I done it over 16 weeks assuming end of the window. Basically 1m per month(Feb, March, April) essentially as we usually only play 1 match in May. 

So keep that in mind for a player like O’Dowda. His sale in the next couple weeks could help us see a player of that quality in January. 

Also how would people feel if we went into the season as is? Not rushing in anyone now but knowing we have funds for a couple top loans to come in January? 

Personally feel that would be ok if not ideal. Risky in January for sure but also it is after the grind of the Christmas fixtures and could freshen the squad up. Something to think about anyway. I’d still prefer a striker and CM in before end of the window but not catastrophic if we do not. There will probably be as much activity the last two weeks of the window as there has been all summer. ?

24 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Crikey!

?

Well worth it if he scored the goals that clinched promotion. It's a gamble but SL doesn't like to gamble unless hes extremely sure of returns.

Archived