IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

1 hour ago, Johnr1986 said:

Going by pre season Szmodics doesn’t look a upgrade on Paterson or Palmer.

Don’t judge him yet

Jumped two divisions / levels

Completely new environment , been at Colchester all his career to date , new teammates, new staff, 

LJ Rightly said he will need time to blossom 

What he has got , which is glaring , and DaveFevs highlighted , LJ has highlighted .....and that’s enthusiasm 

That’s a massive ladder to progression and improvement

Lets give the lad some time

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don’t judge him yet

Completely new environment , been at Colchester all his career to date , new teammates, new staff, 

What he has got , which is glaring , and DaveFevs highlighted , LJ has highlighted .....and that’s enthusiasm 

Give the lad time!!!!!!!!

This is OTIB

He has had a few pre season games Thats more than enough time to judge a young up and coming player

Only takes some on there 5 to 10 mins to make their mind up 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He looks like he has the potential to be a huge upgrade on Paterson to me. 

For anyone to expect us to pluck a lad from L2 who is immediately an upgrade on Palmer of England youth sides and Paterson who Walsall got £800k for 6 years ago is somewhat bemusing

He is one who you hope will settle and grow an maybe a regular first teamer..........next season ?

Anything above or quicker than that I’d find a pretty sizeable achievement  tbh

Hell of a leap from L2 to Championship

I really like his energy and his enthusiasm and really really want to see him succeed 

Also think he’s a player who will thrive with our support but could possibly crumble a bit if people get on his back

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don’t judge him yet

I watched Szmodics doing his prematch shooting drills at FGR and it was a joy to see. He placed the ball into the net with either foot, deceiving the keeper on many occasions. He looked very assured.  I know it was only a warmup in a preseason friendly but clearly the lad has an eye for goal which he underlined during the match. 

I’ve seen him play twice now and truthfully he’s not quite hit the heights but you’re right Bob, he’s a young man moving to a big city a long way from home and may be a little daunted by the surroundings. There’s a player in there for sure and once he finds his feet he’ll be a great asset. It’s been a while since we’ve fielded a goal scoring midfielder. 

We've just got to be patient and give him time. We’re good at that right? 

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I watched Szmodics doing his prematch shooting drills at FGR and it was a joy to see. He placed the ball into the net with either foot, deceiving the keeper on many occasions. He looked very assured.  I know it was only a warmup in a preseason friendly but clearly the lad has an eye for goal which he underlined during the match. 

I’ve seen him play twice now and truthfully he’s not quite hit the heights but you’re right Bob, he’s a young man moving to a big city a long way from home and may be a little daunted by the surroundings. There’s a player in there for sure and once he finds his feet he’ll be a great asset. It’s been a while since we’ve fielded a goal scoring midfielder. 

We've just got to be patient and give him time. We’re good at that right? 

Interesting Rudolf

One of my favourite things to watch  and can be very revealing IMHO

Two players that immediately spring to mind as examples were Nicky Maynard and Bobby Reid 

Both hit a ball so crisp that the ball actually made a distinct louder sound as it hit the net

Great for watching technique - that fat *** Tomlin could pick out the corners with dip swerve almost at Will ..... but that’s enough about him.   :laughcont:

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interesting Rudolf

One of my favourite things to watch  and can be very revealing IMHO

Two players that immediately spring to mind as examples were Nicky Maynard and Bobby Reid 

Both hit a ball so crisp that the ball actually made a distinct louder sound as it hit the net

Great for watching technique - that fat *** Tomlin could pick out the corners with dip swerve almost at Will ..... but that’s enough about him.   :laughcont:

Brownhill top spin hits are good to watch.  Kelly (Bournemouth lad ?) pings a sweet shot too.  Paterson too, off either foot.

The best I saw was Ryan Tunnicliffe, then of Fulham.  A right footer with a sweet “right peg”.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Brownhill top spin hits are good to watch.  Kelly (Bournemouth lad ?) pings a sweet shot too.  Paterson too, off either foot.

The best I saw was Ryan Tunnicliffe, then of Fulham.  A right footer with a sweet “right peg”.

Did he ?

Wouldn't have anticipated that 

You have a good view of the drill :thumbsup:

Just now, Lew-T said:

According to a Welsh Journo.

C9E3FB08-789F-4177-8863-D60989B46003.png

If we sign Palmer, Hogan and Moore, then it'll be very hard to even pick a bench. Whatever anyone thinks of Pato, he is above Palmer as far as LJ is concerned. This might well be complete nonsense I reckon.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

If we sign Palmer, Hogan and Moore, then it'll be very hard to even pick a bench. Whatever anyone thinks of Pato, he is above Palmer as far as LJ is concerned. This might well be complete nonsense I reckon.

First I’ve heard of Hogan? With some actual substance.

13 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

I would have thought if it was complete nonsense, mark ashton would have denied it last night but he said we were in for him 

I doubt he would say that about anyone. He doesn't want to publicly completely close the door on any potential signing.

He's probably on our radar to some extent. But doesn't seem like a position we need to strengthen in if we are bringing in 4 and one of those will surely be Webster replacement. Would be surprised if 1 of the other 3 is Palmer.

19 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

First I’ve heard of Hogan? With some actual substance.

I don't actually know where I got that from! Hogan loan. Someone told me earlier I'm sure.

If we get Palmer in and Mark Ashton and his team are working on 3 more, there must be another team trying to offload one or two midfielders who are deemed surplus. It must be all hands to the pumps behind the scenes.

16 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I just don’t understand why we would sign a fringe player from last season or why he would come here.

He was getting 15 mins at best last season towards the end - often when we were chasing a game.

Do we have a plan?

Agreed unless an issue with fitness!!

32 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I doubt he would say that about anyone. He doesn't want to publicly completely close the door on any potential signing.

He's probably on our radar to some extent. But doesn't seem like a position we need to strengthen in if we are bringing in 4 and one of those will surely be Webster replacement. Would be surprised if 1 of the other 3 is Palmer.

He said last night he wouldn’t/couldn’t comment on specific players we were after. 20pence then asked him specifically about Kasey Palmer (a question off Twitter I think)  - Ashton said he was one of those players on the radar that we are looking to bring in. 

Archived