IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

He didn’t get that much game time compared to Kalas and later Dasilva. We found it difficult to fit Palmer into games, and the couple he did start I expected more ( rather like Taylor).

Unless we have a different plan, which seems a bit weird as only recently have rumours emerged we were in for him and he wasn’t going to Swansea, so late in the preseason to be thinking of building a team around him? A talent yes, but an afterthought? I hope we aren’t spending over the odds on him as I’m still undecided. We launched him into hero status with his song but I think we were a bit premature, he didn’t fully show himself off in my opinion. Surprised we are back for him unless the price is too good to refuse.

....Or LJ has a plan..

20 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

So, its official, Chelsea are our feeder club :)

I was reliably informed a couple of years ago regarding Chelsea supplying all of their up and coming future World class player were coming to Bristol......

But going to the Memorial Stadium. I guess this isn't happening now then.

1 minute ago, Suffolk Red said:

Think it will be Palmer, Matt Clarke on loan as part of the Webster deal, then possibly Keiffer Moore and or Nkethia or if not someone like Vydra

With LJ's comments about proven and breaking the structure i would be seriously underwhelmed if we went for Moore alone as out answer to the number 9.

2 hours ago, RedEyez said:

Buzzing with this signing to be honest. Could Pato be on his way? 

Not sure why your buzzing tbh. I think some fans just want signings, any signings.

KP for me didn't do anywhere near enough whilst here for me to get excited about him joining. I feel pretty indifferent, if he joins I'm cool with that, if he doesn't I'm cool with that too. 

1. Weimann.

2. O Dowda.

3. Paterson.

4. Szmodics.

5. Brownhill.

6. Eliasson.

7. Adelukan.

These are (often small) tippy tappy players who are excellent going forward but who are not out-and-out strikers. In general they promise more than they deliver and can never quite nail down a first team place. 

Lee Johnson loves this type of player, and stock piles them. 

He often plays four of these players in a five man midfield, which means we only play one up front. This flogs poor old Fammy to death, and means we do not score enough goals. 

And now Lee Johnson, reverting to type under stress, has signed number 8, Kasey Palmer, whom he had at the club for five months last season but did not play regularly. 

These 8 players are all good individually and could work given regular starts in a sensible 4-4-2, but the squad is now hopelessly unbalanced. We need a raw-meat centre forward, not another wide man/number ten. 

With these 8 players it will just be the Lee Johnson Tombola Selection Weekly Circus, as he goes round and round, playing all eight in different positions, with Fammy up front. No combination of them will ever work permanently, because one up front does not work. Fammy is simply too exhausted after running around up front to then poach in the box. 

Palmer could yet be the best of our number ten/wide man tippy-tappy creative midfielders, but for the sake of the squad we seriously need to clean out O'Dowda, Paterson, and Adelukan, and find from somewhere an out--and-out centre forward and some meat-and-potatoes in centre midfield.

Not wishing to be harsh on our new signings, but did we really need to sign Szmodics AND Palmer while centre mid and centre forward are neglected?

8 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Not sure why your buzzing tbh. I think some fans just want signings, any signings.

KP for me didn't do anywhere near enough whilst here for me to get excited about him joining. I feel pretty indifferent, if he joins I'm cool with that, if he doesn't I'm cool with that too. 

Not sur why you’ve received egg plant for this post

A perfectly reasonable view

With you to a large degree , I said I probably wouldn’t have gone for him

Lots Of ability and that does mean potential but he needs to deliver and contribute consistently 

I guess , if he delivers he could transform us up a level and if he signs I will be totally behind him as I’m sure you will 

£3.5 mil according to McGregor

22 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

My buzzing? What?

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure why you're not sure.

15 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Agreed

1 minute ago, Boston Red said:

1. Weimann.

2. O Dowda.

3. Paterson.

4. Szmodics.

5. Brownhill.

6. Eliasson.

7. Adelukan.

These are (often small) tippy tappy players who are excellent going forward but who are not out-and-out strikers. In general they promise more than they deliver and can never quite nail down a first team place. 

He often plays four of these players in a five man midfield, which means we only play one up front. This flogs poor old Fammy to death, and means we do not score enough goals. 

And now Lee Johnson, reverting to type under stress, has signed number 8, Kasey Palmer, whom he had at the club for five months last season but did not play regularly. 

These 8 players are all good individually and could work given regular starts in a sensible 4-4-2, but the squad is now hopelessly unbalanced. We need a raw-meat centre forward, not another wide man/number ten. 

With these 8 players it will just be the Lee Johnson Tombola Selection Weekly Circus, as he goes round and round, playing all eight in different positions, with Fammy up front. No combination of them will ever work permanently, because one up front does not work. Fammy is simply too exhausted after running around up front to then poach in the box. 

Palmer could yet be the best of our number ten/wide man tippy-tappy creative midfielders, but for the sake of the squad we seriously need to clean out O'Dowda, Paterson, and Adelukan, and find from somewhere an out--and-out centre forward and some meat-and-potatoes in centre midfield.

Not wishing to be harsh on our new signings, but did we really need to sign Szmodics AND Palmer while centre mid and centre forward are neglected?

Think this would be a better post after the window closes and we don’t sign a forward. As it stands it seems like we are in the market for at least 1 striker. 

As for some of the ones you mentioned, a couple would qualify as young and for the future. I know no one likes to think that far ahead but they probably aren’t on loads and could feature heavily in the years to come. Think Szmodics and Adelakun fall into that. Also looking to move COD I am sure and if not we know 1 will be off that list within a year. 

You have also mentioned Brownhill who more often than not plays with Pack deeper. So think realistically you are looking at 3 roles behind the striker and in front of Pack and Brownhill. Meaning Weimann, COD, Szmodics, Palmer, Eliasson, Adelakun and Paterson. Then when you think about Adelakun and Szmodics being the cover and COD perhaps leaving it isn’t that stacked. 

2 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

This one will be announced tonight i would imagine.

My mate was down to club shop at about 3 o'clock and seen him go into the ground. No reason to not to believe him ..

I was down the shop at the same time purchasing the new away top. Didn’t see nothing of Palmer, not saying your mates a liar just adding a flip to your story! 

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lots Of ability and that does mean potential but he needs to deliver and contribute consistently 

I guess , if he delivers he could transform us up a level and if he signs I will be totally behind him as I’m sure you will 

I was also on the fence about him but we have to remember he's only 22 and has so much room to improve. There's a lot that Johnson will want to work on defensively, and if he can sort this part of his game out, he will be a star. I wish we did sign him earlier in the window as Johnson did say that he wanted to have a full pre-season with him. 

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Of course he needs to be better in certain aspects of his game. He does need to cut out mistakes. He does need to focus a bit more and try a bit harder. Know he can’t get by in the championship on purely talent. 

Why I think most of us are excited is because we now have that talisman who can get us something when we are struggling to create chances. We know Palmer can pick a pass, get into the box to support the striker, hit a wicked free kick or score from 20-25 yards. He has everything we need. You look at successful teams and most have a Grealish, a Hernandez, a Costa, a Cairney etc. Palmer has that ability and now up to LJ to get it consistently. And if not he is relatively cheap and young so should recoup any fee. 

4 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

1. Weimann.

2. O Dowda.

3. Paterson.

4. Szmodics.

5. Brownhill.

6. Eliasson.

7. Adelukan.

1. Palmer and Szmodics are completely different kinds of player.

2. You don't get to sign players in priority order, the market doesn't work like a supermarket where you go to the strikers aisle first. The fact that we don't have a striker yet isn't out of neglect it's because they are the hardest to get.

3. I expect at least 2 of your list to move on, plus players in other positions.

4. I would like to see a defensive midfielder come in too and find it odd that we don't seem to be looking, as far as we can tell.

1 minute ago, Saunders87 said:

I was down the shop at the same time purchasing the new away top. Didn’t see nothing of Palmer, not saying your mates a liar just adding a flip to your story! 

No worries mate.  If he hasn't signed by 5pm I'll be ringing him and calling him a liar too!

4 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

1. Weimann.

2. O Dowda.

3. Paterson.

4. Szmodics.

5. Brownhill.

6. Eliasson.

7. Adelukan.

.... and who are notoriously inconsistent and frequently out-muscled/fought by stronger, taller players.

Anyhows, let’s hope LJ finally gets rid of his streaky label by clinching, in the last few days of the window, some real physical power upfront to complement Fam in engaging the opposition. Maybe then it will allow our weedy-bees space and time to do their stuff and put the ball in the net. Frequently.

I do find the timing of this signing odd, LJ was banging on about wishing he had a pre-season with KP to get him to the fitness levels required to play in one of his teams, yet signs him when pre-season is finished?

Don't get me wrong, think Palmer is a cracking player and think £3.5million is a steal for someone of his ability. Cannot see him not starting a lot at the start of the season with these previous comments from LJ, maybe LJ has some sort of training programme in mind for him?

3 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I do find the timing of this signing odd, LJ was banging on about wishing he had a pre-season with KP to get him to the fitness levels required to play in one of his teams, yet signs him when pre-season is finished?

Don't get me wrong, think Palmer is a cracking player and think £3.5million is a steal for someone of his ability. Cannot see him not starting a lot at the start of the season with these previous comments from LJ, maybe LJ has some sort of training programme in mind for him?

Yeah I'll be surprised if he's shoved straight in (dont you dare) 

Archived