IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

36 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Re-read my post. Clue: the questions end with one of these: ?

So from the entire Championship you refer to one, whom Cardiff were happy to let go at a premium price to WBA, a promotion rival who had lost 3 strikers with Premier League experience. Again, if it's a doddle to sign strikers, why hasn't every club signed at least one proven one?

I’d start with full stops, work through commas but probably leave question marks, semi-colons and other marks until later. 

57 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Sky Sports saying it’s a loan deal 

It sounds like really lame reporting from sky sports news. They probably just done a cut and paste job from him going to Swansea on loan, and changed everything to bristol city, with out getting the facts correct. Really bad reporting, but then again that is sky all over to be fair, just like the BBC. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Pretty sure KP will be fit.  Did a pre-pre-season stint at Jamie Lawrence’s gym (similar to ‘back to action”), and been through a full pre-season with Chelsea.

He's passed his medical OK....

kp.jpg.18fc3d3f35f417f479ad451ef2a091d4.jpg

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Ffs can this hurry up I’ve been starring at the gate’s roof for 8 hours now 

Now I'm confused!  YOU’RE starring at the Gate’s roof?... I thought it was Kasey P who was the centre of attraction for the obligatory photo op and optional abseil

To get the best out of Palmer I wonder if we need 2 strikers ahead of him. Maybe give him the Duffy role at Sheffield United maybe.

But then my main concern would be where does Eliasson fit in. He's too good not to play isn't he?

And however excited people are about Palmer signing, and i kind of am for what player he could become, he was behind Paterson last season. And now we have Szmodics too, who seems to be ahead of Paterson, which would make Palmer 3rd out of those 3 at this moment in time.

So many options in the floating positions behind Fam. Very little options in the deeper midfield position, or up top. Unless Weimann will be more of a striker, Szmodics and maybe even Palmer more up there against centre halves.

But then we surely have a striker coming in, so I think some players will really struggle for minutes. 

That is fine if LJ knows what his best team is. But he said the other day he doesn't know what formation to go with. It seems a bit like fantasy football, signing players without thinking of systems and tactics.

There might be more tinkering than ever before by LJ this season.

I really have no idea what our transfer strategy is. This is an interesting signing in isolation that promises much, but when looked at in the round with all the players we have, I really couldn't tell you what we are trying to do besides amass promising players and hope to find something that works. It feels like a lack of conviction on a particular first eleven or way of playing football.

I would have thought teams that have done well have done so not primarily due to strength in depth but with a foundation which is the opposite: knowing exactly who their best players are and how everyone should be playing. This deal, especially coming this late, feels like a hedge against any single preferred attacking line up, rather an assortment of potential combinations.

I find that particularly odd given we're constrained on salary on the key signings we absolutely need yet seem to be loading up in multiples in certain positions on salaries that might better have been invested on one or two bits of quality rather than more quantity. Not to say Palmer is not an exciting or high upside signing, it just feels like a rather easy and obvious distraction.

12 minutes ago, Olé said:

I really have no idea what our transfer strategy is. This is an interesting signing in isolation that promises much, but when looked at in the round with all the players we have, I really couldn't tell you what we are trying to do besides amass promising players and hope to find something that works. It feels like a lack of conviction on a particular first eleven or way of playing football.

I would have thought teams that have done well have done so not primarily due to strength in depth but with a foundation which is the opposite: knowing exactly who their best players are and how everyone should be playing. This deal, especially coming this late, feels like a hedge against any single preferred attacking line up, rather an assortment of potential combinations.

I find that particularly odd given we're constrained on salary on the key signings we absolutely need yet seem to be loading up in multiples in certain positions on salaries that might better have been invested on one or two bits of quality rather than more quantity. Not to say Palmer is not an exciting or high upside signing, it just feels like a rather easy and obvious distraction.

Having been really complimentary about the way we started our summer business, I’ve found the last 48 hours pretty concerning, honestly.

We’re about to lose our best player, which is understandable considering the money involved but not ideal for a promotion-chasing team who’ve built their entire pre-season around a defence that’ll never play a competitive game together.

The first name mooted to be coming in since that news broke? A man who couldn’t get in our side last season, but who the head coach was convinced would be an exciting addition on the condition of a full pre-season working together... Only the football season starts tomorrow and he’s still not signed.

Look, we have to reserve judgment until 17:00 on 8 August. We’ll have to continue to give the benefit of the doubt until a good while after that to allow the dust to settle. But while Lee Johnson is “less confident” of keeping Adam Webster, I’m definitely less confident of us delivering everything we’ve promised to since last May.

57 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

To get the best out of Palmer I wonder if we need 2 strikers ahead of him. Maybe give him the Duffy role at Sheffield United maybe.

But then my main concern would be where does Eliasson fit in. He's too good not to play isn't he?

And however excited people are about Palmer signing, and i kind of am for what player he could become, he was behind Paterson last season. And now we have Szmodics too, who seems to be ahead of Paterson, which would make Palmer 3rd out of those 3 at this moment in time.

So many options in the floating positions behind Fam. Very little options in the deeper midfield position, or up top. Unless Weimann will be more of a striker, Szmodics and maybe even Palmer more up there against centre halves.

But then we surely have a striker coming in, so I think some players will really struggle for minutes. 

That is fine if LJ knows what his best team is. But he said the other day he doesn't know what formation to go with. It seems a bit like fantasy football, signing players without thinking of systems and tactics.

There might be more tinkering than ever before by LJ this season.

There will surely be some players leaving , O’Dowda , maybe Pato ...

4 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Having been really complimentary about the way we started our summer business, I’ve found the last 48 hours pretty concerning, honestly.

We’re about to lose our best player, which is understandable considering the money involved but not ideal for a promotion-chasing team who’ve built their entire pre-season around a defence that’ll never play a competitive game together.

The first name mooted to be coming in since that news broke? A man who couldn’t get in our side last season, but who the head coach was convinced would be an exciting addition on the condition of a full pre-season working together... Only the football season starts tomorrow and he’s still not signed.

Look, we have to reserve judgment until 17:00 on 8 August. We’ll have to continue to give the benefit of the doubt until a good while after that to allow the dust to settle. But while Lee Johnson is “less confident” of keeping Adam Webster, I’m definitely less confident of us delivering everything we’ve promised to since last May.

palmer isn't the first name to come along, we've been trying to sign him all summer, but due to chelseas change in manager its been hard to get it over the line,

Webster will not leave unless a player is signed to replace him, and by that I mean perm not loan, its the same situation as Flint, he wasn't aloud to leave until the replacement was sorted, Webster will be the same

16 minutes ago, Olé said:

Unless he is Matty Taylor’s replacement ,

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

palmer isn't the first name to come along, we've been trying to sign him all summer, but due to chelseas change in manager its been hard to get it over the line,

Webster will not leave unless a player is signed to replace him, and by that I mean perm not loan, its the same situation as Flint, he wasn't aloud to leave until the replacement was sorted, Webster will be the same

As I say, we can all judge properly next week!

29 minutes ago, Olé said:

LJ said he either wanted 2 strikers or a striker and a player who can create chances, which might explain it.

45 minutes ago, Olé said:

33 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Two good ,  considered & intelligent  posts that give balance to a lot of excitement amongst most  

I’m With you , both , to a large degree in your thoughts

I’ve been saying for a while , we are and have been gathering , a bloated squad ,and Lee is too fond of too many Clubs in the bag , which can manifest itself in tinkering 

( I hope )  ,  with regards to Palmer

Is  it a case of grabbing him while we we’ve got the chance ?

I honestly believe Jay DaSilva and now Palmer have been purchased for the same reason - to turn a potentially huge profit next year.

Bryan,Reid,Flint

Kelly,Webster - probably O'Dowda,Taylor,Paterson (and a sneaky feeling Josh and Fammy may  be subject to late bids - wether accepted or not is another matter)

Next year - Jay,Kasey,Defo Josh and Fammy if he gets 15.  Elliason could be anything.

Year after that - who knows - Sammy, Taylor Moore if he kicks on, Vyner and Elliason.....

The point being, it's ok to bank the money and frankly the business done by MA has been amazing - BUT WE CANNOT KEEP DOING IT.

One poor season of transfers and the only way out of the champ is downwards.

We do not want to be the Peterborough of the Prem - it's ok for the players concerned - but if you aren't highly talented, you know that if you have some ambition to be a bit-part Prem player, the BCFC cannot offer you that opportunity to stay a squad player when promoted.

Because if we do not keep players of Prem ability for more than 1 year we will never go up.

I was very optimistic about this year, but after Webster, and possibly 2-4 others, I can see a high profit, but lower position.

Again, I question the Lansdowns genuine ambition to be a successful Premier League Club.

The next week will tell.

We cannot start the year with only Fammy up top, no holding/defensive class midfielder and a host of impotent 'busy-bees' and hope to go up.

Get Keifer Moore, a Bannon-esque type mid, and another CB, and I will be more confident.

We can hold the back line with Baker in for Webster, but with only Pack and Fammy, what has changed to get us into the top 6?

Whatever the final outcome, for gods sake play 2 up top (and fammy and AW will work!)

Bentley/Map

Hunt  Kalas Baker DeSilva

Pack Brownhill

Elliason                

Palmer/Sammy

Fammy  AW

Subs: Moore,Vyner,Semeneyo,Taylor,Walsh,either KP or SS,DB or NM

Needs much more defensive cover for mine - unless we get another 15-20 goal finisher.

Expect a lot of 3-2's if we do! 

Expect a lot of 0-3's if we don't!

The whole squad is too attack focused - we need that defensive mid!  And a bloody good one. 

Pack is a damn fine player - but he has been asked to do the work of 2 men for the last 2 seasons - and is now a whipping boy.

Again, the whole squad is unbalanced - I can't find a formation that can attack with potency AND defend if their lives defended on it.

We can cover the defence, make do at the front, but the middle is like swiss cheese.

Why can no-one at the club see this?

37 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

There will surely be some players leaving , O’Dowda , maybe Pato ...

Not sure about Pato leaving. LJ likes him. O'Dowda yeah with contract situation.

9 minutes ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

Can't believe KP wasn't officially announced yesterday, there was plenty of time after he arrived for his medical. I'm hoping there's bigger news today with an announcement of at least another signing to hopefully rally the support ready for Sunday. Exciting times...

I think we will see two or three at once, possibly just after the club announced Webster’s departure.

@Never to the dark side mentioned on the main thread about squad numbers , I think today is going to be a busy day 

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Not sure about Pato leaving. LJ likes him. O'Dowda yeah with contract situation.

O’Dowda will only go if we receive an acceptable offer. I’m not sure we will 

Archived