IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

7 minutes ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

Agreed. But even if it's only a loan deal. He still hasn't been announced officially. I personally believe we have bought him, otherwise he would have gone to Swansea last week...

Its a concern for me that we may not have been his first choice. If Swansea had got their act together the jungle drums indicate he would have gone there.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

I really have no idea what our transfer strategy is. This is an interesting signing in isolation that promises much, but when looked at in the round with all the players we have, I really couldn't tell you what we are trying to do besides amass promising players and hope to find something that works. It feels like a lack of conviction on a particular first eleven or way of playing football.

I would have thought teams that have done well have done so not primarily due to strength in depth but with a foundation which is the opposite: knowing exactly who their best players are and how everyone should be playing. This deal, especially coming this late, feels like a hedge against any single preferred attacking line up, rather an assortment of potential combinations.

I find that particularly odd given we're constrained on salary on the key signings we absolutely need yet seem to be loading up in multiples in certain positions on salaries that might better have been invested on one or two bits of quality rather than more quantity. Not to say Palmer is not an exciting or high upside signing, it just feels like a rather easy and obvious distraction.

I’m pretty worried by LJ’s admission that he doesn’t know what formations or tactics are going to be his plan A this season yet. 

To me, that shows a real lack of a plan and makes me question exactly how our recruitment is working this summer.

Has JDS been signed to play as a full back or wing back? Did we want Moore to get on the end of Eliasson’s crosses? Or Smzodics to feed Weimann/Palmer?

How can you recruit effectively if you don’t really know what you want? I get that we will have lists of players, but surely you have to decide on a plan and then search for players that fit it, rather than searching for good players and then finding a plan to fit them.

11 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

Its a concern for me that we may not have been his first choice. If Swansea had got their act together the jungle drums indicate he would have gone there.

All just press speculation, once Chelski decided he was not in their plans, he and his agent are going to speak to any interested parties particularly due to the Swansea England 21 connection. This does not mean we were 2nd choice and I am sure if LJ / MA detected a lack of commitment to BCFC he would not be joining us.

11 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I’m pretty worried by LJ’s admission that he doesn’t know what formations or tactics are going to be his plan A this season yet. 

To me, that shows a real lack of a plan and makes me question exactly how our recruitment is working this summer.

Has JDS been signed to play as a full back or wing back? Did we want Moore to get on the end of Eliasson’s crosses? Or Smzodics to feed Weimann/Palmer?

How can you recruit effectively if you don’t really know what you want? I get that we will have lists of players, but surely you have to decide on a plan and then search for players that fit it, rather than searching for good players and then finding a plan to fit them.

The most successful have , traditionally , initially found a system to suit the players they have when they arrive at the Club and then gradually recruit players to fit in with their preferred ethos and system

I do think this is a very fair question / debate 

Personally, and it’s just a personal opinion ,  I think Lee likes to tinker with systems a little too much and likes too many clubs in the bag to cover every eventuality, that luxury can confuse

7 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Just trying to confuse the spies from Leeds - who are going to report back that we have been playing 15 different formations in training.

32 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

Swansea might have been Chelsea's first choice, but not necessarily Palmer's.

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The most successful have , traditionally , initially found a system to suit the players they have when they arrive at the Club and then gradually recruit players to fit in with their preferred ethos and system

I do think this is a very fair question / debate 

Personally, and it’s just a personal opinion ,  I think Lee likes to tinker with systems a little too much and likes too many clubs in the bag to cover every eventuality, that luxury can confuse

I agree with that Bob, especially the tinkering bit.

However, one thing I would say about having "our system" is that last season we were often too predictable as evidenced by the way so many lower table teams were able to nullify us at Ashton Gate.

Palmer brings with him that touch of unpredictability, as he has a combination of pace and power and the ability and willingness to go past players where it hurts in and around the penalty area. He also has imagination to play defence splitting passes.

Perhaps LJ sees in him the player that can make the difference when we struggle to break teams down, even if it means his established system of playing has to be tweaked a little.

I also think that there are a few players we are looking to move out, but the market seems very flat during this window with nothing like the normal levels of activity. There might well be a flurry of activity over the next few days and players leaving might then make the Palmer move look a lot more sensible than it does to some fans at the moment.

54 minutes ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

Can't believe KP wasn't officially announced yesterday, there was plenty of time after he arrived for his medical. I'm hoping there's bigger news today with an announcement of at least another signing to hopefully rally the support ready for Sunday. Exciting times...

From memory we rarely announce on day of medical....it’s usually the day after.

I too have concerns that structured recruitment could quickly turn into a scatter-gun approach.  But we don’t know what the plan was, I’m sure there was contingency for Webster going for £20m+, which might open doors to other targets that were previously out of our range.  And we may be letting other go too.

I think Palmer going on tour with Chelsea meant us playing a patience game.  I think LJ sees him as a coaching project and one to prove he can make him a better player.

In terms of fit, we do have a multitude of midfielders, but how many does Lee trust to play?  I think FGR and Palace will have spooked him, and his quandary of what system to go with v Leeds will be simplified by going 4141.  Let’s assume Webster is still here, in which case we know the GK, Back-4 and DM.

For me when then 1 striker....likely to be Fam, but I really think LJ must consider Weimann there, especially at home.  Semenyo and Taylor complete the options.

So, that midfield 4.  

Eliasson, O’Dowda, Szmodics and Weimann to battle for the wide roles.  Szmodics has played centrally but that was before Palmer came.

Centrally, Brownhill (or Walsh) plus Palmer, Paterson and Szmodics.

Pack in the DM, could be rested for Brownhill (not Josh’s Best skillset, but hey-Ho), but we have Rowe, Walsh and Bakinson too.  We might play a flatter 5 if Pack is missing / rested.

For me I don’t see where Watkins gets in, unless players go.

So, now there are no excuses re knackering Marlon or Josh, nor Fam for that matter.  LJ needs to select on performance, with ability to rest.

Back to Palmer, his best game was Bolton in Cup.....4141 Brownhill in DM (Pack rested), Palmer and Morrell as the 2xCMs.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it but a buy back clause could have been used (not City's usual practice I assume)

Swansea taking him on loan with a view to a permanent is not likely to include a buy back - plus they'd want to negotiate again at the end of the season. ("You borrow him for a year, then if you go up you buy him, then if we want, we'll buy him back later")

This would be a good reason for City to be in for him permanently - it also opens up the possibility of putting a matched bid clause that Villa had with Mings. Could Chelsea have been reluctant because of the fees we have commanded previously? I wouldn't fancy having to fork out a decent wedge on a player if we weren't sure where his potential was going to take him

23 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

That would indicate to me that we have more to our game than just going with one formation, there is a flexibility to our squad & system.

And while it’s easy to have ago about LJ not knowing his best or first choice formation, maybe that comment has been made because it’s impossible to know what players he’ll have available come Sunday! Any number of players could leave before Sunday & any number of players could come in before Sunday! Do we know the injury situation? If Webster leaves is Wright or Baker available to replace? If he’s looking at playing a 3 at the back that’s a massive reason to not know what formation he’ll be playing.

He could start with a formation on Sunday & change things within minutes & why give any opposition team the information that we’re going 4-4-2 before a ball is even kicked? A lot before the season is all mind games, rumours that Leeds will play 3-3-1-3 or something crazy.

Gone are the days of just picking your formation & going with it. We could go with anything from 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 3-5-2, 5-3-1-1, 4-4-1-1, 4-3-2-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-2-2-2, take your pick?

Being flexible is a good thing, the same players can play a number of formations & it allows us that element of surprise, you only have to look at the thread about ‘our team for Sunday’, no one has picked the same 11 players & that’s before any possible transfer deals have been concluded.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From memory we rarely announce on day of medical....it’s usually the day after.

I too have concerns that structured recruitment could quickly turn into a scatter-gun approach.  But we don’t know what the plan was, I’m sure there was contingency for Webster going for £20m+, which might open doors to other targets that were previously out of our range.  And we may be letting other go too.

I think Palmer going on tour with Chelsea meant us playing a patience game.  I think LJ sees him as a coaching project and one to prove he can make him a better player.

In terms of fit, we do have a multitude of midfielders, but how many does Lee trust to play?  I think FGR and Palace will have spooked him, and his quandary of what system to go with v Leeds will be simplified by going 4141.  Let’s assume Webster is still here, in which case we know the GK, Back-4 and DM.

For me when then 1 striker....likely to be Fam, but I really think LJ must consider Weimann there, especially at home.  Semenyo and Taylor complete the options.

So, that midfield 4.  

Eliasson, O’Dowda, Szmodics and Weimann to battle for the wide roles.  Szmodics has played centrally but that was before Palmer came.

Centrally, Brownhill (or Walsh) plus Palmer, Paterson and Szmodics.

Pack in the DM, could be rested for Brownhill (not Josh’s Best skillset, but hey-Ho), but we have Rowe, Walsh and Bakinson too.  We might play a flatter 5 if Pack is missing / rested.

For me I don’t see where Watkins gets in, unless players go.

So, now there are no excuses re knackering Marlon or Josh, nor Fam for that matter.  LJ needs to select on performance, with ability to rest.

Back to Palmer, his best game was Bolton in Cup.....4141 Brownhill in DM (Pack rested), Palmer and Morrell as the 2xCMs.

Agree that was Palmer's best game. And probably in a system I wouldn't have thought he could play in. Might not have been great in his defensive work, but not sure. And it was Bolton, not Leeds, so would have to see more of him there before judging.

I think Brownhill was rested for this game. I think Brownhill was holder in a 4141 against Huddersfield. Pack played in the Bolton game i think.

Cup games are always very different to league games. But in that Bolton game we had so many chances. Really free flowing football. And in the Huddersfield game I thought Brownhill was superb in the holding role, really took responsibility and drove us forward from deep.

Could it be that Palmer can play in that 4141, and Brownhill can play the deeper role if Pack is injured or needs resting. It would also suit Pato, Walsh or Bakinson, who have a bit more freedom in the left or right of the three. I thought Paterson was far better there for a spell last season.

And if we keep O'Dowda then left of a midfield 3 is arguably his best position. And Szmodics maybe an option in a 3. It really does open up many possibilities in those positions, and many of those just mentioned as well as Eliasson and Weimann can play in the wide roles too.

I guess a lot depends on who we bring in. But 4141 was the most successful system last season. I'm not saying that's what I'd go for but certainly worth considering again.

I don’t see the concern with Kasey Palmer. He is the best attacking player we have signed this window and perhaps since Tomlin(who didn’t work out). He is better than Paterson, better than Szmodics and better than Eliasson. We also have the benefit of him being with the team for 5 months. The only negative is we didn’t get him in earlier. 

In terms of who plays I haven’t really be enamoured with any of the 3 behind the striker. Szmodics and Semenyo(will play left I imagine at times)has promise. Paterson is either way up or way down. COD may or may not be here come this time next week. Eliasson only goes left and is figured out usually by the 30th minute. Only Weimann is relatively consistent and he has his flaws. 

For the concern about tactics and style I think that what we see is LJs style. We have multiple options for multiple situations that can mould into multiple formations without using substitutes. I don’t necessarily love it but that is his style. No matter the formation he has a way of playing that he expects. His gambling is putting more naturally attacking players in more defensive positions. Examples being down a goal Palmer deeper into midfield for Pack and maybe COD at fullback. 

I think it may be a slowish start to the season but despite us signing loan players again(permanently) still get the feel we are better in attacking situations now than we were first game last season. Defensively maybe a bit less with Webster going but there were some leaks back there last season too. So think the extra goals scored will outweigh the extra conceded. Makes little sense read out loud but meaning I think we will win more games this year instead of drawing so many. 

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Two good ,  considered & intelligent  posts that give balance to a lot of excitement amongst most  

I’m With you , both , to a large degree in your thoughts

I’ve been saying for a while , we are and have been gathering , a bloated squad ,and Lee is too fond of too many Clubs in the bag , which can manifest itself in tinkering 

( I hope )  ,  with regards to Palmer

Is  it a case of grabbing him while we we’ve got the chance ?

bloated squad? really?, we've missed out on promotion the last 2 seasons due to not having enough strength and depth, so players run out of steam and we fade,

we add strength and depth in departments we are seriously lacking and now we've got a bloated squad? Jesus 

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

It is not a loan deal - all will be revealed later

but sky sports said loan so I must repeat that point a million times

1 hour ago, Agard Days Night said:

Morning Bob.

Are Sky Sports saying it’s a loan deal?

Other sources have said he was willing to go to Swansea but not if it was only a loan deal, implying he’s coming to us specifically to get a permanent move.

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

bloated squad? really?, we've missed out on promotion the last 2 seasons due to not having enough strength and depth, so players run out of steam and we fade,

we add strength and depth in departments we are seriously lacking and now we've got a bloated squad? Jesus 

Yes it is bloated at this point in time.  30+ first team squad, and that’s after the loans have gone out.  It’s a drain on budget...and blocks pathway.  Even LJ said he wanted a trimmer squad.  The problem is depth in key positions, e.g. DM, LB.  

14 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Ummm some of us thought Reid could do a job and got shouted down 

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. I was one of them

Are you 2 members of the backroom analysis team who came up with the unlikely suggestion to LJ that he should try Bobby up front?

Most fans would have seen how profligate and dreadful his finishing had been the season before when trialled as the '3rd man' tasked to get shots in at the end of a move and never dreamt he could be a success up front.

The following season his transformation was near miraculous, and impossible to foresee on the evidence of his career long wild finishing.

13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

To be fair, we have a fairly strong first team, but in reality, if anything happens to diedhou pack brownhill kalas and dasilva, weve got a major problem. 

The squad also includes people like watkins, taylor, baker, adelakun, walsh who are all taking up wages but really have little impact on games when they come on, and the signings of rowe and smodzics could potentially be in that category too. 

Tallying up the salarys of all that lot would probably equal 1 dwight gayle/ a proven number 9.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes it is bloated at this point in time.  30+ first team squad, and that’s after the loans have gone out.  It’s a drain on budget...and blocks pathway.  Even LJ said he wanted a trimmer squad.  The problem is depth in key positions, e.g. DM, LB.  

it isn't blocking pathways though is it, we've got youngsters coming through getting first team football,

it isn't bloated at all, we still need to add, we don't have enough depth in 2 key areas centre mid and up front,

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Not sure about Pato leaving. LJ likes him. O'Dowda yeah with contract situation.

We are told not to get too attached to players and LJ will be the same.

There is a raft of stats for each player and if Pato can be upgraded he will gone with the best wishes of all at BCFC.

He is 27 , I believe, and his stats will start to diminish. We will want a return on him before that happens so it is not so unbelievable as we may think .

Palmer in , Pato our looks feasible to me. 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

it isn't blocking pathways though is it, we've got youngsters coming through getting first team football,

it isn't bloated at all, we still need to add, we don't have enough depth in 2 key areas centre mid and up front,

Its bloated with players who are in the squad but dont have enough impact on games. Ship out Taylor, watkins, adelakun and walsh and replace with bannan or someone in midfield and we would be stronger.

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

To be fair, we have a fairly strong first team, but in reality, if anything happens to diedhou pack brownhill kalas and dasilva, weve got a major problem. 

The squad also includes people like watkins, taylor, baker, adelakun, walsh who are all taking up wages but really have little impact on games when they come on, and the signings of rowe and smodzics could potentially be in that category too. 

Tallying up the salarys of all that lot would probably equal 1 dwight gayle/ a proven number 9.

i doubt it, we have a budget and we are strict with it, all those players wouldn't be signed if we couldn't afford it,

its harsh writing two players who haven't kicked a ball in anger yet, watkins in his limited appearance between injury never let us down and scored a couple of vital goals

taylor has been fantastic for this club without him we'd be in league one, we also wouldn't of got our cup run,

walsh and adelakun both have had serious injury problems both are very young both haven't had a fair chance at the first team yet

but lets write them off like we do with almost all younger players

Archived