IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

it isn't blocking pathways though is it, we've got youngsters coming through getting first team football,

it isn't bloated at all, we still need to add, we don't have enough depth in 2 key areas centre mid and up front,

You are correct  somewhat bloated and unbalanced 

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

it isn't blocking pathways though is it, we've got youngsters coming through getting first team football,

it isn't bloated at all, we still need to add, we don't have enough depth in 2 key areas centre mid and up front,

So we bring in 1 / 2 strikers....how far that push bright young thing Antoine Semenyo back?

Be interested to see how many minutes, Walsh, Bakinson, Adelakun get this season.

We are unbalanced in numbers in certain positions ....and who LJ trusts to play there.  He loves a winger, yet plays Weimann there!

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Are you 2 members of the backroom analysis team who came up with the unlikely suggestion to LJ that he should try Bobby up front?

Most fans would have seen how profligate and dreadful his finishing had been the season before when trialled as the '3rd man' tasked to get shots in at the end of a move and never dreamt he could be a success up front.

The following season his transformation was near miraculous, and impossible to foresee on the evidence of his career long wild finishing.

Believe it or not, I started a thread in the summer of 17, suggesting he could hit the ground running, and quite a few thought the same.  He was a striker as a kid.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Believe it or not, I started a thread in the summer of 17, suggesting he could hit the ground running, and quite a few thought the same.  He was a striker as a kid.

Yep, I think everyone was both surprised and then positive about him starting up front after his rush of goals playing there in pre season.

But based on the season before (almost unrivalled appalling finishing) such unlikely success could hardly have been predicted by the average fan.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

So we bring in 1 / 2 strikers....how far that push bright young thing Antoine Semenyo back?

Be interested to see how many minutes, Walsh, Bakinson, Adelakun get this season.

We are unbalanced in numbers in certain positions ....and who LJ trusts to play there.  He loves a winger, yet plays Weimann there!

We ran with a big squad last season because of the change to the loan rules and the club didn’t want to get caught out with lack of replacements in case of injury , the old ‘ two players for each position model.’

I really don’t think that that was necessary, on hindsight, even though we threw young Max in at the deep end , there seemed to be too many players kicking their heels.

I would prefer a higher quality first team and give the youngsters a chance if ever the need arose.

If our season drifted off course for a little while whilst the youngsters made their mistakes and got experience then so be it .

Leeds did it and nearly went up .

16 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i doubt it, we have a budget and we are strict with it, all those players wouldn't be signed if we couldn't afford it,

its harsh writing two players who haven't kicked a ball in anger yet, watkins in his limited appearance between injury never let us down and scored a couple of vital goals

taylor has been fantastic for this club without him we'd be in league one, we also wouldn't of got our cup run,

walsh and adelakun both have had serious injury problems both are very young both haven't had a fair chance at the first team yet

but lets write them off like we do with almost all younger players

Taylor hadst been fantastic, an assist for korey smith and 5 or 6 goals over a couple of years is pretty poor.

based on what we can see, i cant see much prospect on those players i listed proving to be a huge signing for us, would love to be proved wrong.

and for what its worth, dasilva and elliason were brought in as young players, but they are talented enough to make an impact. Marley watkins isnt

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We are told not to get too attached to players and LJ will be the same.

There is a raft of stats for each player and if Pato can be upgraded he will gone with the best wishes of all at BCFC.

He is 27 , I believe, and his stats will start to diminish. We will want a return on him before that happens so it is not so unbelievable as we may think .

Palmer in , Pato our looks feasible to me. 

I don't mean likes as in likes him as a person. But likes what he brings to the team. He always had Pato ahead of Palmer last season. Maybe that will change, but maybe not until Palmer improves.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, I think everyone was both surprised and positive about him starting up front after his rush of goals playing there in pre season.

But based on the season before (almost unrivalled appalling finishing) such unlikely success could hardly have been predicted by the average fan.

He started 2016/17 very well, think it was 4 in 10 appearances...from midfield.

27 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Are you 2 members of the backroom analysis team who came up with the unlikely suggestion to LJ that he should try Bobby up front?

Most fans would have seen how profligate and dreadful his finishing had been the season before when trialled as the '3rd man' tasked to get shots in at the end of a move and never dreamt he could be a success up front.

The following season his transformation was near miraculous, and impossible to foresee on the evidence of his career long wild finishing.

I didn't know exactly what Reid's best position or role would be, but I could see the clear quality he had. Loads really keen to get rid of him, which made no sense to me.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't mean likes as in likes him as a person. But likes what he brings to the team. He always had Pato ahead of Palmer last season. Maybe that will change, but maybe not until Palmer improves.

he has given his reasons why, ie palmer wasn't fit enough, i expect he will come off the bench through august and start games towards then end when his fitness catches up,

although Fat Frank has had him and he got derby looking pretty fit so we may be happier with his fitness this season 

Not sure our squad is exactly huge. A few of the ‘first team’ squad are a long way from being contenders for regular first team action and you’d be looking at the next couple of years for their development to either serious first team contention or moving on  

Theres a couple I’d be looking to move on if we get enough cover in their positions but it’s hardly enormous by modern standards. 

Definitely unbalanced in places though. Quite disappointed that we seemingly didn’t consider CM a key area to improve on significantly. 

Surely LJ and SL have decided that this is the season for the big push to the Premier.

LJ has to repay the faith given to him by SL especially after year after year final league positions have been on the up.

It makes sense to buy KP now in preparation for next season  in the PL. If they take a leaf out of the Rugby team, three years ago Bristol couldn't buy until they got promoted. The Championship play offs finished after the Premiership and all the decent players were no longer available.

Just as well it's not my money they're spending!

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I didn't know exactly what Reid's best position or role would be, but I could see the clear quality he had. Loads really keen to get rid of him, which made no sense to me.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing. 

I'm quite happy to admit that I would have happily got rid of him for nothing. Didn't see anything in him that suggested the season he would have.

Obviously, I'm an idiot :laugh: but certainly don't remember many people praising him at the time! 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He started 2016/17 very well, think it was 4 in 10 appearances...from midfield.

Perhaps so, but if you watched the rest of that season you'll know just how many simple chances he squandered, so much so that the system adopted to accommodate him was dropped, as, eventually was the player himself. No sign in his demeanour or finishing he could ever be a consistent scorer.

It was the notable increase in his power and stamina from his extra pre season training away from the club, and the confidence from those pre season goals carried into the new season   - neither of which could be predicted - that came together to  make his improbable switch such a success.

I expect he'd also had an ultimatum that 'this really will be your last contract unless you come back after the close season and show some real progression.' which would have concentrated his mind to really get his fitness and strength up.

All in all the perfect storm as it turned out, but utterly unpredictable.

2 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I’m pretty worried by LJ’s admission that he doesn’t know what formations or tactics are going to be his plan A this season yet. 

To me, that shows a real lack of a plan and makes me question exactly how our recruitment is working this summer.

You can't know your best XI until your business for the summer is finished, window doesn't close till the week after our season starts. Unless you manage to get all your targets early then you're going to go into the season under some doubt. In our case we can't help that the Maguire/Dunk stuff has dragged out or that Brighton have held off their approach till the last minute if they only want Webster for a back 3. Palmer was taken with the Chelsea squad on tour which delayed our chance to get him. We only want certain types of striker, our choice of which may not be available to move to start with. 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/robins-swoop-for-palmer/

ROBINS SWOOP FOR PALMER

THURSDAY, AUGUST 1ST 2019

Kasey Palmer is back in City colours having completed a permanent switch from Chelsea.

Palmer has put pen to paper on a four-year contract, for an undisclosed fee.

The attacking midfielder spent the second half of last season on loan with the Robins, where he quickly won the hearts of the City supporters and made 17 appearances, scoring twice.

Bristol City Chief Executive Officer Mark Ashton said: “We’re delighted to have Kasey here on a permanent contract and we again appreciate the assistance of Chelsea in coming to this agreement.”

Head coach Lee Johnson commented: “I’ve been really impressed with his application and focus over the off-season period.

“Kasey has made big sacrifices to come here and we truly believe Bristol City and Kasey will be a fantastic match moving forward.”

The 22-year-old Chelsea Academy product had spent the first half of 2018/19 on loan at Blackburn Rovers but before that had helped Huddersfield Town win promotion to the Premier League in the 2016/17 season. He went on to make four appearances in the top flight with the Terriers.

Palmer is also a double-winning FA Youth Cup and UEFA Youth League winner with Chelsea, with whom he also won the Under-21 Premier League in 2014.

Palmer will now link-up with his City team-mates as preparations continue for Sunday’s televised 2019/20 Sky Bet Championship season opener with Leeds United (August 4th, 4.30pm KO)

Archived