IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

18 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Definitely bloated as things stand, with too many similar midfielders/wingers.

Hard to keep a big squad happy when many will neither be loaned out or be in the matchday squad.

I expect we could all name 4 current squad players we would happily do without, yet even if Palmer signs we are told there may be 2/3 more coming in!

I remember SL saying that ideally we want 2 strong players competing for each position, plus a few youngsters ready to step in in an emergency - we're getting well beyond that.

I’m pretty sure LJ is fully aware of what SL expects and is working within that framework. No one is going to come in that SL doesn't want in. 

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What , of the hair ?

:laughcont:

You've got me thinking now, syrup?

Nah, slaphead and proud! ;)

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’ve decided to go for it.....

What ya think 

Just waiting for the girls to start queuing .....

31F54128-6338-4C29-AF50-B95BBA1CDEC9.jpeg

Nah! You don't half grow hair quickly tho mate! 

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

all i can say to this is **** off Warner you cheating bastard ;) 

This Warner - is he  yet another Villa signing then - and were we ever in for him? :)

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’m pretty sure LJ is fully aware of what SL expects and is working within that framework. No one is going to come in that SL doesn't want in. 

Don't doubt it, SL's ideal squad set up may have changed.

Or he may be strongly recommending that LJ's job may be less complex, with a more contented squad, if he moves a few on in the next week.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

No - this is the photo shoot he asked for.

snoop.thumb.jpg.6aa4946097e26374ceb25c865a4cd7c5.jpg

He’s aged a bit!

I’m sure it was the song that clinched the deal, where will he ever go to get a song like that again. I can just picture the signing, things are a bit tense in the negotiations and Mark Ashton starts humming before he bursts into song! ?

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't doubt it, SL's ideal squad set up may have changed.

Or he may be strongly recommending that LJ's job may be less complex, with a more contented squad, if he moves a few on in the next week.

I think also pure numbers only tell half the story. Prime example being Gilmartin. He may never play a game for us. He’s cheap emergency cover brought in to allow our own asset with big potential to go out on loan and develop much faster than he would bring 2nd/3rd choice here. 

There’s also several who we are classing as ‘first team’ who are probably a year or two away from being able to seriously contend to be in the first team proper, so I do think just looking at the actual headcount is a bit misleading. 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think also pure numbers only tell half the story. Prime example being Gilmartin. He may never play a game for us. He’s cheap emergency cover brought in to allow our own asset with big potential to go out on loan and develop much faster than he would bring 2nd/3rd choice here. 

There’s also several who we are classing as ‘first team’ who are probably a year or two away from being able to seriously contend to be in the first team proper, so I do think just looking at the actual headcount is a bit misleading. 

Fair points, but even then do you not look at our squad and feel some are now surplus to requirements?

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t see the concern with Kasey Palmer. He is the best attacking player we have signed this window and perhaps since Tomlin(who didn’t work out). He is better than Paterson, better than Szmodics and better than Eliasson. We also have the benefit of him being with the team for 5 months. The only negative is we didn’t get him in earlier. 

In terms of who plays I haven’t really be enamoured with any of the 3 behind the striker. Szmodics and Semenyo(will play left I imagine at times)has promise. Paterson is either way up or way down. COD may or may not be here come this time next week. Eliasson only goes left and is figured out usually by the 30th minute. Only Weimann is relatively consistent and he has his flaws. 

For the concern about tactics and style I think that what we see is LJs style. We have multiple options for multiple situations that can mould into multiple formations without using substitutes. I don’t necessarily love it but that is his style. No matter the formation he has a way of playing that he expects. His gambling is putting more naturally attacking players in more defensive positions. Examples being down a goal Palmer deeper into midfield for Pack and maybe COD at fullback. 

I think it may be a slowish start to the season but despite us signing loan players again(permanently) still get the feel we are better in attacking situations now than we were first game last season. Defensively maybe a bit less with Webster going but there were some leaks back there last season too. So think the extra goals scored will outweigh the extra conceded. Makes little sense read out loud but meaning I think we will win more games this year instead of drawing so many. 

You are an articulate and intelligent poster but If I had presented that to my FA assessor as an example of playing philosophy I think he would have chucked it back at me and asked if I wanted to pass or not. 

24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Fair points, but even then do you not look at our squad and feel some are now surplus to requirements?

It’s tough until we sign more IMO. A bit chicken and egg. People keep saying about moving Taylor on but as things stand he’s one of two senior strikers. Not a chance we will move him on unless replacements are guaranteed. 

Same with Walsh - as things stand he’s first line cover for injuries. 

Watkins and Paterson - argument there to move on either or both now but both quite versatile across the front line and can cover multiple positions. 

Until we know what our ‘final’ squad looks like I think it’s hard to move any of them on.

As fans we don’t know 1% of what’s happening behind the scenes and what the plan is, so I think it’s quite hard to theorise about who is and isn’t required. 

“Kasey has made big sacrifices to come here and we truly believe Bristol City and Kasey will be a fantastic match moving forward.” LJ

Could somebody tell me the big sacrifices he has made? This isn't Swansea, not the nicest place on the planet.

How much did he play for us when he was here. Full season stats which includes elsewhere show only 1172 minutes played - 13 full games.

Sorry I'm underwhelmed and if I was Szmodics I'd be feeling a bit ***sed off.

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Right DNA .

Are you watching Micky ? 

His family wanted to come back to Bristol ! 

We all have had little jokes about DNA , me included but what is more glaring for me , particularly around the 3 Chelsea signings is how they all mention how much they enjoyed their teammates 

Credit to LJ and MA for this aspect of our recruitment over a couple of years

(I’d credit them even more for this than the logistics for getting deals done because their job appears to have been made easier by getting the right sort of characters in thus the existing atmosphere in the squad) 

We clearly have a squad who enjoy each other’s company and for me that’s massive

2 minutes ago, headhunter said:

“Kasey has made big sacrifices to come here and we truly believe Bristol City and Kasey will be a fantastic match moving forward.” LJ

Could somebody tell me the big sacrifices he has made? This isn't Swansea, not the nicest place on the planet.

How much did he play for us when he was here. Full season stats which includes elsewhere show only 1172 minutes played - 13 full games.

Why the anger? I inferred the ‘sacrifice’ to be suggesting he’s taken a pay cut to come here. 

Szmodics has just been signed from L2. He’s got an opportunity to learn from and play alongside a fantastic player coached by one of the best teams in the country.

If he’s got anything about him he should be delighted with his lot here! 

3 minutes ago, headhunter said:

He’s probably taken a pay cut joining us and moved down a league. Surely having competition for places and we do know how Sammie will cope in the championship he. Feels like you’re moaning for the sake of moaning. 

9 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

How nice to hear that. Very serious about his career and how he can improve but also lovely to hear that his families’ happiness/stability is so important to him. DNA checked firmly passed IMHO. 

Welcome back Kasey. 

He’s very much a family man , and  a religious guy too

Archived