IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

Do not think we can rule this out. 

Lampard is new in post. He knows he cant sign anyone. It is quite reasonable for him to say “I want to see everyone we’ve got before we let any more go”. Kasey would be mad to insist on leaving under those circumstances. 

If Fat Frank thinks Kasey has enough (he should know what to look for in an attacking midfielder) then well done Kasey. If FF thinks Kasey isn’t up to it he cones to us well before the end of the window. 

Why do we think this isn’t what is happening?

7 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Lampard is new in post. He knows he cant sign anyone. It is quite reasonable for him to say “I want to see everyone we’ve got before we let any more go”. Kasey would be mad to insist on leaving under those circumstances. 

If Fat Frank thinks Kasey has enough (he should know what to look for in an attacking midfielder) then well done Kasey. If FF thinks Kasey isn’t up to it he cones to us well before the end of the window. 

From my point of view, it isn't going to happen as our Manager / head coach insisted he needed a full pre-season with KP. As that's clearly not going to happen, I think we need to look elsewhere. KP would have known our requirements and has decided / been told he's staying with Chelsea for now. As LJ would only get the last week (post US) with KP at best, we won't have the opportunity to 'mould' him into the payer LJ could see him becoming IF he had a full pre-season with City.

I'm not saying KP had the opportunity to make a choice but if he did, he's surely closed the door on any prospective move here. I would imagine Chelsea rather than KP have made the decision anyway.

It's pity but the caveat was clearly stated at the end of his loan, we want him here but only if a full pre-season with LJ was available.

13 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

I agree.  Dasilva, we’d already triggered option to buy.  Kalas at 26, wasn’t gonna be in FL’s plans, so those two decisions could be made.  

Palmer is just 22, people forget that...younger than Szmodics, Brownhill, O’Dowda, Eliasson and Adelakun....and 6 weeks older than Morrell.  If there is a chance to get him later in the window at good value, I would still take it.  He might have to learn the system if it’s vastly different to last season’s, but say at a fee of £3-4m...where else do you get that value for a Prem youngster?

Of course all the above assumes we ever wanted him, or still want him.

12 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Bristolian pessimism?

I agree with you regarding Chelsea's situation. Who's to say that we haven't been in discussions with Chelsea about KP and might even have agreed terms, but Lampard has put any transfers on hold until he's a chance to evaluate the whole squad?

I think KP is just the type of player we have missed, but came into a team that was on a role playing a particular way - organised and workmanlike - and his style was perhaps a bit too much of a luxury/risk at that time. It also seemed that he was trying too hard to impress, so tried tricks and flicks in the wrong parts of the pitch a little too often.

I would have thought that a player of his ability is at the stage of his career where he wants a more settled situation, rather than the nomadic life of a loanee. Given the chance ti establish himself at a club there's a good chance he would work to incorporate his game within the way a coach likeLJ wants to play, rather than just playing almost cameo roles.

Of course it might just be that LJ has decided he's not for us and that what we now have in midfield provides all we need. In which case, we move on to other targets. 

31 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

From my point of view, it isn't going to happen as our Manager / head coach insisted he needed a full pre-season with KP. As that's clearly not going to happen, I think we need to look elsewhere. KP would have known our requirements and has decided / been told he's staying with Chelsea for now. As LJ would only get the last week (post US) with KP at best, we won't have the opportunity to 'mould' him into the payer LJ could see him becoming IF he had a full pre-season with City.

I'm not saying KP had the opportunity to make a choice but if he did, he's surely closed the door on any prospective move here. I would imagine Chelsea rather than KP have made the decision anyway.

It's pity but the caveat was clearly stated at the end of his loan, we want him here but only if a full pre-season with LJ was available.

I agree KP needs to be on that plane to the USA otherwise that's it ...in my opinion 

I think he is a very good player and there were times last season when he looked like he could be the answer to our creative midfielder dilemma but I think things have moved on a bit since then. We`ve signed Szmodics, still have Pato and if we sign Joe Williams then I can see Josh B playing a in a much more forward role. It begs the question, should we pay £4m for another player in that sort of position or would the cash be better invested elsewhere? IMO it would be.

7 hours ago, Ohbasso said:

Why do people think he’s turned us down? Maybe we can’t agree a fee with Chelsea or Lampard might want to have a look at him on their trip to Dublin before deciding to sell or loan him out or have I missed something?

I wouldn’t rule anything out until the window closes - plenty of time for a lot of comings and goings yet!

From @chelseayouth twitter account. The central midfielders under contract at Chelsea

Chelsea central midfielders by contract expiry:

Loftus-Cheek 2024

Kovacic 2024

Ampadu 2023

Barkley 2023

Jorginho 2023

Kante 2023

Bakayoko 2022

Baker 2022

Drinkwater 2022

McEachran 2022

Gallagher 2021*

Gilmour 2021*

Mount 2021

Van Ginkel 2020

*Still on first pro deal, max 2021.

Pašalić 2022

Uwakwe 2022

Anjorin 2021

Maddox 2021

All new first-year scholars 2021

Lawrence 2020

McCormick 2020

Mola 2020

Russell 2020

They consider Palmer a wide forward on the account which was odd. So question is how many of these can he surpass to get minutes at Chelsea. Also wide forwards they have Pedro, Willian, Hudson Odoi, Pulisic and Kenedy off the top of my head with Giroud, Batsuayi and Tammy centrally. So not much path in those slots either.

This is just to add to the conversation btw. 

21 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

The last couple of paragraphs are about Palmer. Doesn’t sound as though he’s coming back to be honest.

Move on.....

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/lee-johnson-outlines-bristol-citys-3064518

Certainly gives that impression unless it`s just part of the normal smoke and mirrors. It does read like it`s not happening though.

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It could still happen late in the window if we retain our interest. Lampard will have his views of course but I can’t see how Palmer us going to be part of the Chelsea 25 and therefore a loan at least looms. Just a case then of whether it’s us. 

You would hope we would have first refusal at least.

But, by then, it would probably be a refusal imo.

5 minutes ago, City_pete1 said:

I wonder how many Chelsea players will be give to Derby as first option now.....

All of them?

10 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It could still happen late in the window if we retain our interest. Lampard will have his views of course but I can’t see how Palmer us going to be part of the Chelsea 25 and therefore a loan at least looms. Just a case then of whether it’s us. 

By and large when it comes to loans Chelsea dictate where their players go. I doubt all those players would be heading to Vitesse Arnhem otherwise.

However, if they don't see a player having a future I suspect they are less bothered. Palmer might choose us if the situation arises but we may well decline.

Good luck to him but I still think he will live to regret it.

Although Palmer is a very good player. He does carry that aurora around that JET and Tomlin have. All that talent yet cannot apply the effort and determination to go with it. Rather than a player that can fit into the team, you have to make the team fit around him. His fitness is also questionable. 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Certainly gives that impression unless it`s just part of the normal smoke and mirrors. It does read like it`s not happening though.

Yep. He also alludes to the idea of not bringing in a new striker which is worrying seeing as our problem last season was not converting a number of the clear cut chances we created. Big pre season for Semenyo if this is the case.

I hope we sign Eddie Nketiah on a season long loan with an option to buy if we get promoted. 

1 minute ago, RedEyez said:

Yep. He also alludes to the idea of not bringing in a new striker which is worrying seeing as our problem last season was not converting a number of the clear cut chances we created. Big pre season for Semenyo if this is the case.

I hope we sign Eddie Nketiah on a season long loan with an option to buy if we get promoted. 

I think the `no new striker` allusion is probably smoke and mirrors though - I certainly hope so anyway!

18 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think the `no new striker` allusion is probably smoke and mirrors though - I certainly hope so anyway!

Other than thanking Hallen and saying nice things about them, LJ has said absolutely nothing noteworthy. He’s given nothing away. We can read anything that we choose to into his words - and we will!

We’re  just going to have to sip our beer, enjoy the sun, laugh at the 15ers and wait until something actually happens!

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

He’s definitely on Chelsea’s tour so we can rule this out for certain. Personally I’m glad. Had enough of players that stroll around. 

4AF0E657-0F28-4B43-AF3B-04782788A3B3.png

1 hour ago, Redpool said:

Although Palmer is a very good player. He does carry that aurora around that JET and Tomlin have. All that talent yet cannot apply the effort and determination to go with it. Rather than a player that can fit into the team, you have to make the team fit around him. His fitness is also questionable. 

I still don’t see why so many on here have the opinion that Palmer just strolled around.  For me he ran around with more intensity and put in more tackles than Paterson (who all of a sudden people seem to see as a workhorse).  Desire to get in the box, rather than hang around on the periphery.

I saw no aura akin to JET and Tomlin. I saw a player looking to conclude a good loan spell here, but not given enough minutes.

Yes, he lost balls in poor positions (Wolves - where none of our midfield got on the ball), but what has that got to to with effort?  Lack of options on the pass can contribute too.

I think people of blinkered by his bit of showboating and tarring him with the typical view that showboat = lazy.

By all means, don’t rate the fella, that’s fine, but I don’t get the character assassination for a guy who seems completely balanced, both on and off the pitch.

10 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Would we seriously run the risk of starting the season without a real, recognised, out and out striker, a fox in the box goal scorer?

Plenty of time, I guess; sooner the better though, at least IMHO!

Every club in the league wants one of those. I imagine clubs that own one of these are slapping ridiculous asking prices for the ones that could get 15+ goals at least in the championship.

4 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Every club in the league wants one of those. I imagine clubs that own one of these are slapping ridiculous asking prices for the ones that could get 15+ goals at least in the championship.

For those who want to sign a proven 20 goal Championship striker, last season's list:

Pukki

Tammy

Maupay

Gayle

Sharp

Adams (sold)

Rodriguez

McBurnie

Bowen

How much chance of getting one of those?

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

For those who want to sign a proven 20 goal Championship striker, last season's list:

Pukki

Tammy

Maupay

Gayle

Sharp

Adams (sold)

Rodriguez

McBurnie

Bowen

How much chance of getting one of those?

Somewhere between none and **** all.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still don’t see why so many on here have the opinion that Palmer just strolled around.  For me he ran around with more intensity and put in more tackles than Paterson (who all of a sudden people seem to see as a workhorse).  Desire to get in the box, rather than hang around on the periphery.

I saw no aura akin to JET and Tomlin. I saw a player looking to conclude a good loan spell here, but not given enough minutes.

Yes, he lost balls in poor positions (Wolves - where none of our midfield got on the ball), but what has that got to to with effort?  Lack of options on the pass can contribute too.

I think people of blinkered by his bit of showboating and tarring him with the typical view that showboat = lazy.

By all means, don’t rate the fella, that’s fine, but I don’t get the character assassination for a guy who seems completely balanced, both on and off the pitch.

Off the ball he is poor. Better than JET and Tomlin but still a liability in my opinion. Pogba or Ozil like 

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Spot on. And if anything he was usually trying to drive us on to a point or 3 coming on late to salvage something from a losing position. He gave the ball away a lot but thought that was with an effort to drive the team. He does need to learn when to drive and when to make a simpler play and that is what LJ alluded to with the preseason comments imo. He was never lazy.

And with all this talk of 20 goal strikers. I am not so sure it is needed. We need goals from others. All likelihood Fam gets 15 without the farcical suspension which is not bad for someone who’s main purpose is to be a focal point for others. Also missed the most chances in the league. I get that is a negative but there is some positivity in there. Players get cooler in goal scoring situations all the time. Bobby Reid an example here. Raheem Sterling another. Fam is not far from a 20 goal scorer. Hell a full season he probably should have netted 25 as I read he missed 20 clear chances. So I am for slamming him for missing 20 chances but he is there and that can be worked on to some extent. 

Back to my point though. We do lack a few more goals from our striker but does anyone else think we need a talisman? You know someone you can get the ball to and they create a chance from nothing? Grealish, Hernandez, Buendia, Mount, Wilson and Bowen. These are driving forces and I think they carry their teams at times. Do we have that player? For me, imo, only Eliasson could be that. That is where I think the value of a Palmer lies. When we can’t break a team down and need a goal we have someone we can keep getting the ball to to beat his man and get a great cross in, or slot a through ball in or hit a shot from 20 yards into the corner. Imo we need that more than a goal scorer. Get that 10 goals and 10 assist from someone outside your main striker and it transforms your side

Also then your 20 goal scorer becomes the icing on the cake. Tammy, Pukki and Roofe there to finish off what the creators started. Whereas Bowen carried Hull to mid table whereas with a 20 goal scorer they are probably a playoff side. 

Archived