IGNORED

SIGNED: Kasey Palmer ( 4 years, Undisclosed fee)

The hand of RO'D

We could of had prime Kaka in that CAM role yesterday and he would of been useless. Our game is built around Diedhiou, not our clever tactical footballers.

I always laugh when I hear commentators or pundits praise the way we play, usually they’ll say we keep it on the floor, like to pass it around and play fast paced football.... nah we don’t.. maybe 3 or 4 times a season, the rest is spent lumping it to Fam hoping for scraps.

Now that Webster’s gone and Pack is performing awfully every week, we’ll be seeing this in every game unless a striker is signed in the mould of Dwight Gayle, so we can’t lump it forward, the kid from Monaco replaces Pack and we find a ball playing CB... 12 months on and our team hasn’t improved yet we’ve spent over 15 million. Was only Bentley out there who wasn’t here last season. 

We’re good enough to be challenging a top 10 but is that what we really want... hoping we’re clever over the next few days. 

Palmer's strength is the ability to spot a pass, but he needs movement in front of him.  What he did well yesterday tended to involve Weimann who has decent movement.  Him and Famara just aren't suited to playing together.  

On the negative side, he gets caught in possession in his own half far too often as he doesn't seem to have the ability to play safe and keep possession.  He takes people on when you know he is going to lose it.  Not a good sign for a 22 year old player..

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, what did you make of Brownhill’s performance today?

Not enough passes breaking lines and not enough passes in general due to not playing in diagonal pockets beyond possession as an option =  Below par but at least making sense in and out of possession

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Not enough passes breaking lines and not enough passes in general due to not playing in diagonal pockets beyond possession as an option =  Below par but at least making sense in and out of possession

What about his angles for receiving the ball?  He’s not got on the ball nowhere near enough yesterday.  One of the reasons we didn’t play through the lines.  

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What about his angles for receiving the ball?  He’s not got on the ball nowhere near enough yesterday.  One of the reasons we didn’t play through the lines.  

Diagonal pockets - angles. In his role that is where his space will frequently be,  As he didn't get active enough he didn't get into those pockets enough but as I posted I could see he and his role make sense.

Teams require cultural architects in and out of possession, players who support the style and can be relied upon to play to team intent. Out of possession if City want to press with tempo Palmer is a passenger, if they want to get compact and work off triggers he lacks football intelligence or fitness or something . In possession if the intent is to move the ball one and two touch well Palmer will take four and five. Brownhill there makes more sense. 

18 minutes ago, CityCity said:

He wasnt the only one by any means but thought he was pathetic yesterday.

Few people have already mentioned but it was like schoolground football at some points with a simple pass right in front of him but he chose to try and dribble.

Yep, there were three times in the first half where a simple ball out to JDS in a good position out wide that were ignored.

I doubt he'll be sleeping with anyone's wife unless he improves quite dramatically.

I remember reading the Blackburn comments after his loan there and there was little disappointment in him leaving. However, he is clearly talented and maybe just needs more time to work on aspects of his game which clearly are missing in any tough game which we're chasing.

7 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

I had hoped that Palmer and Sammie being signed would see the back of Paterson. What he offers to the team I cannot see. He is lightweight , has no real pace and little impact on a game as he showed yesterday. But however poor he is LJ has him in. What sort of message does it send out to players who get stuck in and work hard.

That was the pato who was dropped for Palmer and did more in 20 minutes then Palmer did in 70,

that pato yes?

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

That was the pato who was dropped for Palmer and did more in 20 minutes then Palmer did in 70,

that pato yes?

Reality is If you started Pato and brought on Palmer for last 20. It would be the same story, just the other way round “.

6 hours ago, The Bard said:

Palmer's strength is the ability to spot a pass, but he needs movement in front of him.  What he did well yesterday tended to involve Weimann who has decent movement.  Him and Famara just aren't suited to playing together.  

On the negative side, he gets caught in possession in his own half far too often as he doesn't seem to have the ability to play safe and keep possession.  He takes people on when you know he is going to lose it.  Not a good sign for a 22 year old player..

Agreed.  Stick Weiman up front instead of Fam and watch Palmer pick him out. Can’t play killer passes if the guys in front don’t move for him. 

6 hours ago, The Bard said:

I agree with every word of your post - just thought that statement has more substance than a ‘like’ ...

19 hours ago, Red white and red said:

Thought Palmer was one of our best players on the park for us. Wanted the ball, drove forward, fought back and showed strength when he lost it. Good start. 

Agreed. Love a player that's willing to take on an opponent and drive the play forward. His direct approach led to a few free kicks in dangerous areas, awarded when the defense had no other option but to foul him. Alas the opportunities were wasted

I went to the match yesterday - I only tend to get to 1 or 2 matches as season.

I thought Palmer had flashes of good play and looks like he has potential but got caught on the ball a bit too much and gave the ball away cheaply a few times. I think he needs to play less in areas near our own box and take the simple option and save the tricks for higher up the pitch.

I thought Diedhou looked quite poor - he didn’t look sharp and rarely kept the ball - although he did get a lot of lumped up passes in the air which he didn’t manage well with.

I thought the team looked a lot better when the double sub was made - although I think Taylor made the difference - not Pato. I’d have liked to see Palmer play with Weiman and Taylor as the forwards in front of him as Leeds were very comfortable with the high balls aimed at their defence but didn’t look good when someone ran at them with the ball at their feet.

We clearly need a better number 9 - one who either can cope with high balls and win more of them - or preferably someone more mobile and quick who can run in behind defences. I think Palmer May then be able to find them with some clever passes.

23 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I thought Kasey was the same as when he was here last season, didn't do enough, disappeared for a while, and I wouldn't have him in the starting team. Unless LJ has a plan for him a la Bobby Reid transformation, I think he's a waste of money. Seems like a nice bloke though!

He was very much like the Kasey of last year, and he really needs to improve the decision making and awareness. 

I love it when he glides past players, but he runs in to trouble just as often at the moment. Good coaching needed.

1 hour ago, Meh said:

Some interesting comments on this page - what a difference a week makes in football

The Brum performance was a real game-changer for me. It was the first time I realised that Palmer could combine his natural flair with all the other stuff needed for a solid 90 minute shift.

Archived