IGNORED

FA Cup 1982

Mike Hunt-Hertz

I can advance you that it was a P E Johnson who played left back, was only here season 82-83, played his first league game at the start of October and the last at the end of January.  Twenty consecutive league games, all starts, which makes me think he was here on loan.

Edit: which he was, from Newcastle.

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I can advance you that it was a P E Johnson who played left back, was only here season 82-83, played his first league game at the start of October and the last at the end of January.  Twenty consecutive league games, all starts, which makes me think he was here on loan.

Edit: which he was, from Newcastle.

Peter Johnson.

Peter Johnson.

1980/83 P.E.Johnson 20/0 0
Peter was Arthur Cox's first signing. Came from Middlesbrough for £60,000 but never made the grade. Loved to attack down the flanks. Joined Doncaster after going on loan to Bristol City. 

Not sure why but we definitely played in blue.  Should have known it was  unlucky from the first time!  No snow that day from what I recall.  Think that one, with the broken down train and the snow ball fight was a few years later.

4 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Didn't we play in blue in that match?...something to do with a problem with our away kit? Could be my memory playing tricks...

32 minutes ago, Wilf said:

Not sure why but we definitely played in blue.

Did we? I can’t recall that. I may be going mad but didn’t we play in blue away at Northampton once? Seem to remember it was when we had Scott McGarvey up front - both our kits at the time clashed with their maroon and white - think we wore their away kit? I may be totally imagining all that though! 

On another tangent, McGarvey had a pretty tidy scoring record for us! 

6 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

No idea, that was my 9th Birthday though :drunk2:

Well seeing as the rest of these miserable buggers passed up the opportunity,  may I be the first to wish you a happy 46th birthday for November 20th, 2019!  (It's on a Wednesday this year, BTW...)

6 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I remember the goal. A cracker. Didn't we play in blue in that match?...something to do with a problem with our away kit? Could be my memory playing tricks...

Yes, we played in Orient’s away kit. If memory serves me right, we didn’t take our away kit and only turned up with red, which as we all know is Orient’s colour as well!. 

Re the bar on the terrace, I remember it well, a lot of us made the most of it, it was the only way to watch City around that time????

4 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Wasn't this the game when some of our lot 'took' their end, but none of them even reacted when the CITY roar went up, so everyone just stood and watched the game in a civilised fashion? 

A lot of us got in the ground late and went into the left hand side, (if you were looking from our terrace) we got taken out and put on the terrace. I also remember a lot of City were in the side stand to our right when we got to the terrace. 

Even though at the time we were shite on the pitch, we still had great support following City around the country. 

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Did we? I can’t recall that. I may be going mad but didn’t we play in blue away at Northampton once? Seem to remember it was when we had Scott McGarvey up front - both our kits at the time clashed with their maroon and white - think we wore their away kit? I may be totally imagining all that though! 

McGarvey played for us 88/89 season and was a bit pony.....

8 hours ago, ukneil said:

Well seeing as the rest of these miserable buggers passed up the opportunity,  may I be the first to wish you a happy 46th birthday for November 20th, 2019!  (It's on a Wednesday this year, BTW...)

Thankyou kind sir! Might have to book the thursday off then . . . :drunk2:

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, I definitely remember that. I wasn’t at the game but I remember seeing the highlights on the local news. Very strange seeing City in their blue away kit. 

Just looked it up - 1988-89 season. We won 3-1. McGarvey scored two and Ralph Milne got the other. 

Archived