IGNORED

FA Cup 1982

Mike Hunt-Hertz

20 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

He got a hard time off the crowd mcgarvey.

I think we swapped him for tony caldwell who was worse.

Heres a trivia question.

What club bought our old set off floodlights?

Corby Town?

Edit: I think they had the old "lamp-posts" that were replaced in the mid 1960's.....    or did you mean the four large pylons?

16 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Number 3 Johnson, we took the lead in the 17th minute.

Quote from "Bristol City The Modern Era - A Complete Record" by David Woods:

"Johnson, with a glorious shot from the edge of the area, scores only the second goal of his career, but confusion with Richie off injured in the 20th minute leaves City down to ten men when Orient equalise. Colin Forster latches onto Tony Cunningham's free-kick to scramble the ball in."

35 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

He did. I also remember him getting stick at Ashton Gate (not sure who he was playing for) before we signed him because of his bleached bouffant hair. 

20 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

What was his first name? I was there, but can`t remember much, apart from scoring first and having our customary collapse.

Was with you that day, as was Scants, Shaun and Simon J if I recall.....Fun afterwards.....

Great away day,loved the camaraderie in the old 4th division. No need for tickets,easy parking and great atmosphere following city home and away,I still see the faces from those days at Ashton gate,although we,re all a lot older now!

19 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

One of the last times I can remember being able to get a beer actually on the terraces. They had a little wooden hut at the back IIRC.

21 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I remember the goal. A cracker. Didn't we play in blue in that match?...something to do with a problem with our away kit? Could be my memory playing tricks...

Funny day, the only time I've been thrown out of a City game.
Got to the turnstiles and the price was the sam for the open end as it was in the stand, stand it was ! It was also 'their ' side. Bar open all game at the back so me and my mate spent all our money on beer. We were fine shouting and chatting to a local, until the OB took offence for some reason, mate got taken to the cells and I was thrown out. Walked straight around to the open end where a City lad had bought too many beers and gave me the spare as I walked past the hut . Happy days, apart from the result.
I think we had forgotten our change kit , so we definitely played in blue.

9 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I think we swapped him for tony caldwell who was worse.

Heres a trivia question.

What club bought our old set off floodlights?

He was a bit of a poser and he had a habit of trying to get a boot on a shot that was already going in to claim it for himself. I remember this being noticed. He wanted the glory but didn’t want to do the work.

I think that is why he got fans backs up at the time.

15 hours ago, Offside said:

Yep, I definitely remember that. I wasn’t at the game but I remember seeing the highlights on the local news. Very strange seeing City in their blue away kit. 

Just looked it up - 1988-89 season. We won 3-1. McGarvey scored two and Ralph Milne got the other. 

I was at Northampton away when we ran out in their away kit of all blue. The City fans were baffled, in those days Northampton played at Northamptonshire County Cricket ground so one side was totally open and we were crammed into a pen with railings everywhere. I was stood at the front near Beryl Fudge and Rob Newman ran over to Beryl and was mocking disgust at the blue shirt. Pulling it away from his body and grimacing. We all appreciated his 'pain'.

5 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

He was a bit of a poser and he had a habit of trying to get a boot on a shot that was already going in to claim it for himself. I remember this being noticed. He wanted the glory but didn’t want to do the work.

I think that is why he got fans backs up at the time.

McGarvey was a decent footballer though, some people forget he played for Manchester United. He certainly preferred a sun bed over a 50-50 tackle though.

Archived