IGNORED

Lee Bowyer

Super

17th June 2019 15:16pm

PA-42054863.jpg

Charlton Athletic have been unable to reach an agreement with manager Lee Bowyer regarding the extension of his contract.

The fact the club is for sale has not helped with finding an agreement. The current owner needs to take into account that a new owner may want to appoint his own manager. However, this concern did not stop the current owner proposing a contract extension of one year to Lee Bowyer, even though the club may be sold in a few weeks. Under those circumstances a multi-year extension would not be good business practice.

In addition, since the club is still losing money, which is one of the reasons why the club has not been sold yet, the focus on reducing costs means that we are extremely limited on payroll increases. 

Lee has been offered a one-year extension to his contract at a level which is approximately three times what he had since his last increase when he became permanent manager in September. It is six times what he earned when he started as assistant manager in 2017 and 50% more than what any Charlton manager previously had (excluding the Premier League years). This reflects the strong desire we have to continue to have Lee as our manager. But Lee wanted much more.

The owner understands Lee’s point of view, because many Championship clubs pay huge amounts (some pay millions of £ per year) to their manager. It is fair that Lee feels he should be paid like many other Championship managers. That the average Championship club makes a loss of around £15 million per year is not something players should care about. The owners are crazy. 

This is why we could not come to an agreement. Another element may have influenced as well. Unlike previous contract discussions, Lee wanted an agent to handle it. We reluctantly accepted. However, involving a player agent in a manager’s contract discussion is not healthy. If the agent helps make the manager more money, it may result in the manager to have a more positive attitude towards players proposed by the same agent, a conflict of interest. Obviously, Lee is above such things, but it is nevertheless not a healthy situation. 

The club hasn’t started to look for any other manager in the meantime and does not intend to appoint a permanent manager, since the club is going to be sold. A caretaker manager will be announced in due course and in the meantime the other staff members will continue to prepare the upcoming season for which a lot of good work has been performed already.  

If Lee does change his mind before his contract expires and chooses to continue his good work at Charlton, he is still welcome to stay. 

However our ability to sell the club is the most important thing right now. 

Perhaps he thinks that if Lampard gets the Chelsea job, he will be able to blag himself the job at Derby.

You would presume that as he has turned it down, then there is another offer on the table.....

Don’t blame him at all. 

If you were currently in a job where there is no stability in the ownership, and could be under resourced for the job ahead, and there’s potentially a bigger company, better resourced and paid (Derby) who possibly want you, would you:

- Sign a contract at a lower wage 

- Wait to see about the owners, other job (knowing you’ll likely get your job back as you’re loved by the staff and also ‘customers’) 

I certainly would go for option 2 at the moment. Worst case is the new owners come in and don’t want him (if that’s the case he’d of been fired anyway), but he could easily get another good job. Best case is Derby appoint him meaning a above average wage, bigger club, better facilities etc etc.

21 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

That's quite an honest and detailed statement. Interesting that Bowyer believes he's entitled to the average wage of a championship manager when he hasn't managed a game at this level yet. 

I'm not so sure. Certainly not massively professional and reflects badly on the owner. It feels like an attempt to shift the blame onto Bowyer rather than anything else. I reckon Bowyer might soon be on the road to Hull...

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm not so sure. Certainly not massively professional and reflects badly on the owner. It feels like an attempt to shift the blame onto Bowyer rather than anything else. I reckon Bowyer might soon be on the road to Hull...

Not quite frying pan to fire but Adkins got out of Hull with good reason.

31 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

That's quite an honest and detailed statement. Interesting that Bowyer believes he's entitled to the average wage of a championship manager when he hasn't managed a game at this level yet. 

It reads like it was written by a bitter 12 year old tbh and attempts to hang Bowyer out to dry.

They're just covering up failing to get him on the cheap to the fans as far as I can see.

Given the difference in earnings in the Championship from League 1, I'd be furious if I was a Charlton supporter.

26 minutes ago, Stortz said:

It reads like it was written by a bitter 12 year old tbh and attempts to hang Bowyer out to dry.

They're just covering up failing to get him on the cheap to the fans as far as I can see.

Given the difference in earnings in the Championship from League 1, I'd be furious if I was a Charlton supporter.

And I'm not sure why, given that there's no chance of the fans buying it due to the unpopularity of the owner. 

22 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

And I'm not sure why, given that there's no chance of the fans buying it due to the unpopularity of the owner. 

Exactly, they hate his guts anyway.

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You have to love statements made by football clubs that can't afford a PR officer, editor, or even a basic proofreader.

You can spot them from a mile off!

It's just like a press release from that oxygen thief Ken Anderson when he was at Bolton, seguing between pronouns with reckless abandon and talking about 'the owner' in the 3rd person haha- we all know you wrote it yourself Roland, probably with your red for angry crayon.

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Yep. In any confidential discussion, you sort of have the expectation that they will remain confidential. I don't care what LB asked for because it's quite simply none of my business to know.

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

You can spot them from a mile off!

It's just like a press release from that oxygen thief Ken Anderson when he was at Bolton, seguing between pronouns with reckless abandon and talking about 'the owner' in the 3rd person haha- we all know you wrote it yourself Roland, probably with your red for angry crayon.

It is also normally pretty obvious that they haven't been anywhere near a lawyer before release either. The Anderson messages were probably the gold standard of DIY press releases. 

A one year extension for getting Charlton promoted when they were outsiders for promotion in my eyes is just poor from the owner and as stated the statement is just poor PR from the club. 

No one is a winner in this situation, who are charlton going to get in that will do a decent job for the money they are offering? 

6 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

A one year extension for getting Charlton promoted when they were outsiders for promotion in my eyes is just poor from the owner and as stated the statement is just poor PR from the club. 

No one is a winner in this situation, who are charlton going to get in that will do a decent job for the money they are offering? 

Cotts..?

To be fair to the club if you are losing money hand over fist, at some point you have to say no.

Fans just want spend, spend, spend no matter how close to the brink it takes you.

Football clubs are some of the best examples of how not to run a business, the losses clubs make is quite frankly embarrassing. 

9 minutes ago, Dunc said:

My Charlton mate is spitting blood. Hates the owner. Offering Bowyer £200k a year. Lampard’s on £2m at Derby. Thank god for Steve Lansdown 

No doubt Bowyer has something else lined up. Charltons loss IMO.

While o don’t think bowyer deserves a top championship manager wage,

i do believe he deserves something,

i also think he’s made the right decision and won’t be out of work for long,

charlton’s owners are the very definition of asshats,

i expect them to finish bottom this coming season simply because of the owners

Archived