Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

hoxton casual

SIGNED: Daniel Bentley

SL called me earlier and said David Bentley may join! Actually it was a mate who said he knew someone trustworthy. Problem is I dont really trust my mate- but anyway David Bentley- you heard it here first! 

• Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Ten years to late

Could be his son perhaps? I'm sure I read years back about the birth of a Baby Bentley. :whistle:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

SL called me earlier and said David Bentley may join! Actually it was a mate who said he knew someone trustworthy. Problem is I dont really trust my mate- but anyway David Bentley- you heard it here first! 

Good-looking bastard that Bentley

12 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

David/Daniel Bentley MAY join? What a scoop.

Its like the worlds worst fortune teller

Someone with the initials DB ?

Does that mean anything to you?

Do you know someone called John?

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Alan Nixon tweet

Bristol City. Interest in keeper Bentley at Brentford heating up. Might get a few other things rolling.

He will do as back up to Maenpaa. Max out on loan and announce Gillmartin! GK's sorted

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2

This could be the ‘success in the transfer market’ MacGregor has just tweeted about.

13 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

This could be the ‘success in the transfer market’ MacGregor has just tweeted about.

His follow up suggests it’s Szmodics.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

He will do as back up to Maenpaa. Max out on loan and announce Gillmartin! GK's sorted

Agree. Always suspected we are after a challenger to Niki and Max out on loan. Gilmartin to give cover. 

• Like 1

On 18/06/2019 at 11:51, hoxton casual said:

Daniel Bentley from Brentford seems to be the man. But probably still nonsense of course.

Apart from naming the wrong bloke, you now seem to be ITK!

SL has sold his old car and bought a Bentley.....?

Love Chinese whispers

Better than Chinese burns anyway.

OK it's not a new story, but as the title of the "David Bentley" thread hasn't been changed, I thought I'd start this one.

We may be after Daniel Bentley.

Now - merge!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

Apart from naming the wrong bloke, you now seem to be ITK!

I knew was ITK. I love the responses on the transfer section. Say you know anything and you get slaughtered - as well as a lot of hilarious pinning. Keep it up all.

I'm still waiting for Henri Lansbury to show up, managed by Alan Curbishley.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Bentley won't be coming as back up to Niki. He'll be here as a No 1 or not at all...

Interesting.  A Brentford fanatic who I know told me about fortnight ago we were chasing one of their keepers Daniel Bentley and TBH  I said rubbish, seen nothing this end. In the rumour mill. 

Also if he walked in front of me would not know who he was.  The chap Brentford end was not over impressed by Bentley and he fully expects him to join us.  The source claims to be ITK at Brentford 

So, this one might not be fake news......

9 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Bentley won't be coming as back up to Niki. He'll be here as a No 1 or not at all...

If Maenpaa is as good as he was last season then Bentley goes on the bench. Bentley made a lot of mistakes last season, and Niki barely made any. Outstanding season.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, BarnzFM said:

If you spend millions on a keeper he doesn’t come to sit on the bench

Probably only cost a few million with a year left on contract. Don't see why not. Teams looking to progress need 2 quality goalkeepers nowadays.

Whoever is impressing more out of him and Maenpaa will get picked. But Maenpaa was so good last season, it will be tough for Bentley to get in.

3 hours ago, BarnzFM said:

If you spend millions on a keeper he doesn’t come to sit on the bench

Suspect Bentley’s value has gone down a bit. But if you get him for £2-3m he’s here long term and the season after he becomes first choice when Niki gone...if he hasn’t already displaced him. 

All I know is that Bentley had a relatively poor season just finished (he and his Mrs lost a baby I believe) so a move is probably a good thing. Previously, I always thought he was decent TBH but he's going to have to up his game to displace Nikki but, I would imagine he already knows that.

What happens to Max then? L1 loan?

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Bentley will come in as number 1 with nikki as back up if we signing him

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Bentley will come in as number 1 with nikki as back up if we signing him

I have a different opinion. 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I have a different opinion. 😀

As do I Dave. As I said above, Bentley will have to be right on his game to displace the excellent Nikki Maenpaa who was really good last season IMHO. Competition never hurt anybody but Bentley should have no guaranteed starting place unless he's in better form than Nikki. The best keeper gets the shirt but, if form slips, the other gets a chance.

Nikki has done nothing to warrant dropping him TBH.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

If Maenpaa is as good as he was last season then Bentley goes on the bench. Bentley made a lot of mistakes last season, and Niki barely made any. Outstanding season.

For as good as Niki is, he’s also so injury prone and not getting any younger. Bentley has lots of talent (clear to see) but has just lost his way at Brentford which can happen to anyone. If we do sign him it’s surely with a view to him being our no 1 for a long time, and taking him from a Championship rival won’t be easy unless one of the guarantees is that we’re definitely offering him first team football!!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

For as good as Niki is, he’s also so injury prone and not getting any younger. Bentley has lots of talent (clear to see) but has just lost his way at Brentford which can happen to anyone. If we do sign him it’s surely with a view to him being our no 1 for a long time, and taking him from a Championship rival won’t be easy unless one of the guarantees is that we’re definitely offering him first team football!!

I agree with the bit in bold but wouldn't guarantee him first team football, that would be wrong. IF he's better than Nikki then fair enough but it will certainly make him up his game. If he signs, he would surely know he's got a real battle on his hands for the first team jersey and fair play to him if he takes it on.

No doubt he would be our keeper longer term but even then, he would have Max battling for the no 1 shirt.

All good for BCFC I guess. :)

• Like 1

I watched Bentley a bit when he was at Southend and was very impressed. I thought that he’d be a good signing for us but Brentford signed him up, which disappointed me. I’m surprised that he hasn’t made more of an impact for them but if he has had to suffer a tortuous situation in his home life (as suggested above by @Ska Junkie) then loss of form is completely understandable. 

Bentley won’t have lost the talent he possesses. He may just need an opportunity to find it again in a new environment. 

If we sign him, we should welcome him because during his Shrimper days, he was considered to be a star in the making. Let’s make him one here. 

• Like 6

If a change of scene would help him find his form then he’d be a good addition. He’d need to play well in a few pre-season games to calm my nerves about him though. In the last few seasons he’s dropped more balls than a blind juggler. 

1 hour ago, Kingswoodactor said:

We can't guarantee that to anyone, especially when they are worse than what we have. For me Maenpaa was up there with Randolph and Henderson last season.

Bentley has a lot of talent and is young so good signing imo, but going on last season Maenpaa is better. Got to play the better player surely.

I'm not sure he is injury prone. Couple of injuries in one season does not necessarily make him injury prone. Unless he has been injured a lot in previous seasons, it might be a one off season of couple of injuries.

• Like 1