IGNORED

SIGNED: Daniel Bentley

hoxton casual

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

Apart from naming the wrong bloke, you now seem to be ITK!

I knew was ITK. I love the responses on the transfer section. Say you know anything and you get slaughtered - as well as a lot of hilarious pinning. Keep it up all.

7 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Bentley won't be coming as back up to Niki. He'll be here as a No 1 or not at all...

Interesting.  A Brentford fanatic who I know told me about fortnight ago we were chasing one of their keepers Daniel Bentley and TBH  I said rubbish, seen nothing this end. In the rumour mill. 

Also if he walked in front of me would not know who he was.  The chap Brentford end was not over impressed by Bentley and he fully expects him to join us.  The source claims to be ITK at Brentford 

So, this one might not be fake news......

9 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Bentley won't be coming as back up to Niki. He'll be here as a No 1 or not at all...

If Maenpaa is as good as he was last season then Bentley goes on the bench. Bentley made a lot of mistakes last season, and Niki barely made any. Outstanding season.

1 minute ago, BarnzFM said:

If you spend millions on a keeper he doesn’t come to sit on the bench

Probably only cost a few million with a year left on contract. Don't see why not. Teams looking to progress need 2 quality goalkeepers nowadays.

Whoever is impressing more out of him and Maenpaa will get picked. But Maenpaa was so good last season, it will be tough for Bentley to get in.

3 hours ago, BarnzFM said:

If you spend millions on a keeper he doesn’t come to sit on the bench

Suspect Bentley’s value has gone down a bit. But if you get him for £2-3m he’s here long term and the season after he becomes first choice when Niki gone...if he hasn’t already displaced him. 

All I know is that Bentley had a relatively poor season just finished (he and his Mrs lost a baby I believe) so a move is probably a good thing. Previously, I always thought he was decent TBH but he's going to have to up his game to displace Nikki but, I would imagine he already knows that.

What happens to Max then? L1 loan?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I have a different opinion. ?

As do I Dave. As I said above, Bentley will have to be right on his game to displace the excellent Nikki Maenpaa who was really good last season IMHO. Competition never hurt anybody but Bentley should have no guaranteed starting place unless he's in better form than Nikki. The best keeper gets the shirt but, if form slips, the other gets a chance.

Nikki has done nothing to warrant dropping him TBH.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

If Maenpaa is as good as he was last season then Bentley goes on the bench. Bentley made a lot of mistakes last season, and Niki barely made any. Outstanding season.

For as good as Niki is, he’s also so injury prone and not getting any younger. Bentley has lots of talent (clear to see) but has just lost his way at Brentford which can happen to anyone. If we do sign him it’s surely with a view to him being our no 1 for a long time, and taking him from a Championship rival won’t be easy unless one of the guarantees is that we’re definitely offering him first team football!!

17 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

For as good as Niki is, he’s also so injury prone and not getting any younger. Bentley has lots of talent (clear to see) but has just lost his way at Brentford which can happen to anyone. If we do sign him it’s surely with a view to him being our no 1 for a long time, and taking him from a Championship rival won’t be easy unless one of the guarantees is that we’re definitely offering him first team football!!

I agree with the bit in bold but wouldn't guarantee him first team football, that would be wrong. IF he's better than Nikki then fair enough but it will certainly make him up his game. If he signs, he would surely know he's got a real battle on his hands for the first team jersey and fair play to him if he takes it on.

No doubt he would be our keeper longer term but even then, he would have Max battling for the no 1 shirt.

All good for BCFC I guess. :)

I watched Bentley a bit when he was at Southend and was very impressed. I thought that he’d be a good signing for us but Brentford signed him up, which disappointed me. I’m surprised that he hasn’t made more of an impact for them but if he has had to suffer a tortuous situation in his home life (as suggested above by @Ska Junkie) then loss of form is completely understandable. 

Bentley won’t have lost the talent he possesses. He may just need an opportunity to find it again in a new environment. 

If we sign him, we should welcome him because during his Shrimper days, he was considered to be a star in the making. Let’s make him one here. 

1 hour ago, Kingswoodactor said:

We can't guarantee that to anyone, especially when they are worse than what we have. For me Maenpaa was up there with Randolph and Henderson last season.

Bentley has a lot of talent and is young so good signing imo, but going on last season Maenpaa is better. Got to play the better player surely.

I'm not sure he is injury prone. Couple of injuries in one season does not necessarily make him injury prone. Unless he has been injured a lot in previous seasons, it might be a one off season of couple of injuries.

28 minutes ago, hodge said:

A season of fighting for #1 with Maenpaa before fighting with Max to be #1 I'd expect 

That's good then isn't it? In both scenarios whoever is in the team needs to be right on it to keep their place. All good IMHO.

24 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I watched Bentley a bit when he was at Southend and was very impressed. I thought that he’d be a good signing for us but Brentford signed him up, which disappointed me. I’m surprised that he hasn’t made more of an impact for them but if he has had to suffer a tortuous situation in his home life (as suggested above by @Ska Junkie) then loss of form is completely understandable. 

Bentley won’t have lost the talent he possesses. He may just need an opportunity to find it again in a new environment. 

If we sign him, we should welcome him because during his Shrimper days, he was considered to be a star in the making. Let’s make him one here. 

Spot on Rudi, he was very good at Southend, all we need him to do is recapture that form and we've got another very good keeper. New club, new surroundings would hopefully be the catalyst. 

I'm sure I read about the loss a while back but would be more than happy to be proven wrong. That's enough for anyone to take their eye of the ball TBH (excuse the pun, not intentional).

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

That's good then isn't it? In both scenarios whoever is in the team needs to be right on it to keep their place. All good IMHO.

Spot on Rudi, he was very good at Southend, all we need him to do is recapture that form and we've got another very good keeper. New club, new surroundings would hopefully be the catalyst. 

I'm sure I read about the loss a while back but would be more than happy to be proven wrong. That's enough for anyone to take their eye of the ball TBH.

I know Ryan Woods lost a baby, can’t remember seeing anything about Bentley. 

If that's true then who can blame him for having a bit of an off season. Something like that puts things into perspective, and playing football really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

Screenshot_20190627-112339_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

We can't guarantee that to anyone, especially when they are worse than what we have. For me Maenpaa was up there with Randolph and Henderson last season.

Bentley has a lot of talent and is young so good signing imo, but going on last season Maenpaa is better. Got to play the better player surely.

I'm not sure he is injury prone. Couple of injuries in one season does not necessarily make him injury prone. Unless he has been injured a lot in previous seasons, it might be a one off season of couple of injuries.

Nikki is 34 and his body is now on a downward slope regarding fitness, just the way it is. Johnson will be fully aware that we just can't take the risk on him being fit over the course of the season, especially as his injury at the end of last season potentially cost us a few extra points that may have got us top 6. 

Pretty sure he had 2 injuries last season that resulted in him being out for 5-6 weeks each time. I like Nikki, I really do, but you don't attempt to sign a no 1 keeper (Bentley) from a side that have been better than us over the majority of the last 5 years, and then not guarantee them the no 1 jersey in some way or another. He won't leave Brentford for us if he thinks he's going to be sitting on the bench. 

4 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Nikki is 34 and his body is now on a downward slope regarding fitness, just the way it is. Johnson will be fully aware that we just can't take the risk on him being fit over the course of the season, especially as his injury at the end of last season potentially cost us a few extra points that may have got us top 6. 

Pretty sure he had 2 injuries last season that resulted in him being out for 5-6 weeks each time. I like Nikki, I really do, but you don't attempt to sign a no 1 keeper (Bentley) from a side that have been better than us over the majority of the last 5 years, and then not guarantee them the no 1 jersey in some way or another. He won't leave Brentford for us if he thinks he's going to be sitting on the bench. 

But if Maenpaa is better then surely we play the better player? 

34 is generally not old for a goalie. If Niki's couple of injuries were a bit of a one off, and he stays fit more often then I don't see why he can't be here next season and beyond.

Let's just see who is better and play whoever that is.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

But if Maenpaa is better then surely we play the better player? 

34 is generally not old for a goalie. If Niki's couple of injuries were a bit of a one off, and he stays fit more often then I don't see why he can't be here next season and beyond.

Let's just see who is better and play whoever that is.

Agree, so there is no point in going for Bentley then. If Nikki is the No 1 for next season (which I'm happy with) it would make sense to bring in another 30s something keeper as back up on a one year deal and to let Max go out on loan in League 1.

Then next Summer actually go and sign someone in their mid to late 20s who can be our No 1 for the foreseeable! 

Archived