IGNORED

SIGNED: Daniel Bentley

hoxton casual

21 hours ago, Selred said:

Because he’s a footballer. All footballers, unless motivated by money, want to play. 

Keepers need games, especially young ones. 

Him going out on loan to league one next year will do so much more for his growth and experience than being a number 2 here.

I am amazed that some don’t get this. Max O’Leary needs regular games not a season of being number 2 pick.

On 29/06/2019 at 09:53, ImpartialBeesFan said:

If you're interested in a Brentford fan's view (mine) then I'll sum it up for you (most of you have said it all already).

He's a great shot stopper and always has been.

Distribution is generally very good.

He made lots of unforced errors this year and lost his place.

Comments about lack of protection are fair, to an extent, and was probably part of it, but definitely not all.

The rainbow baby thing had also been mentioned a while back as a possible reason for head not being right (but nobody seems completely sure).

I think the people on here likening him to Joe Hart probably aren't too far wrong.

His weakest area is decision making - coming to claim for things / commanding his area / judgement on when to come out / ball at his feet.

With good coaching or support he might be able to improve these things and become a great keeper - but he might not.

I don't think anyone's super upset to lose him at Brentford but also wouldn't have been too upset if he'd stayed either because he does have the potential to be really good.

Nobody knows for sure which way he'll go (but I guess that's the case with any Keeper) and for 3 or 4 million it's probably not the worst gamble in the world.

Shaping up to be another interesting year in the Championship and lots of us are probably going to end up with very different teams to last year come September!

Thanks for this.  My view is that the Dan Bentley we are buying is a Dan Bentley a few years older and experienced than the one we were after before he went to Brentford, who got him on compensation.  The gamble of £1m that was touted a few years back might’ve been too much for a GK when we had Frank Fielding already....and we tried to cover with the likes of Hamer, O’Donnell, Lucic and Giefer....until we finally got Niki.

Paying £2-4m (£3 in my spreadsheet as the middle ground) on a 25 year old is still a bit of money, but LJ’s expectation is that the new GK coach Mountain will get him back to the form he was in a year ago.  This is a proper signing with true competition for Niki and the man to take his gloves.  It leaves Max with a season to go and get some minutes and then come back to then keep Bentley on his toes.

This is how each position evolves, but it isn’t easy for that conveyor belt to work.

FWIW here’s some charts.  The first one doesn’t tell us much more than we already know.  Bentley likes a punch, as does Max.  Our defenders will expect him to come and punch rather than claim.  It probably shows up Max’s passing weakness (at this point in his development).  The second chart just shows similar across the division.

4887079C-7F4D-4C6A-BEE7-61D5D0E52744.thumb.jpeg.0d9fedae434605042300f402f34fe322.jpeg

19CFA26E-6308-48FB-A2F7-5F815FE0447D.png

Feels like Maenpaa's to lose?

Bentley based on that should compete hard and it may well be Bentley v O'Leary medium-long run, but injuries notwithstanding- and some concerns over the Bentley errors last season, means Maenpaa starts as first choice?

Seems strong competition for the No.1 on the cards though- both good technically too which is good!

On 29/06/2019 at 09:53, ImpartialBeesFan said:

With good coaching or support he might be able to improve these things and become a great keeper

I feel this is what we're going for, his stock may have fallen a bit over the past year so buying him when 3/4 mil when if he'd have a good season last season you'd probably have been asking for 7/8 mil at least. Bigger risk in outlay by us but with young (for a GK) English keepers there's the potential for big rewards.

Archived