Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

hoxton casual

SIGNED: Daniel Bentley

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Bentley? 20 odd times at Southend and brentford

Then you should have noticed he has gone backwards massively 

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

How many times you seen him play Monkeh? Genuinely interested as cannot fathom why everyone seems delighted

I’m usually happy. Delighted over the last few years. This is the best city team in my life time and been watching city a long time 

Dave. He is a talent, everyone could see that a couple of years ago at Southend. he apparently has had a wobbly time at Brentford, but if you bother to read back through this thread you will see that he seems to have a very valid reason for this as there was a personal issue in his life that would have damaged his concentration. That is in the past now and we have given him a new environment to get back on track. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

The statement was top end not established. Obviously he’s established. I just think he isn’t a goalie for a top six side

Yes you've made your point. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The key thing about Bentley is that it appears to be that he was brilliant at Southend, and very good at Brentford up until last season. I would be surprised if at 25 he gets worse and he stays worse and never gets back to the player he was when he was say 23 and younger. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Dave. He is a talent, everyone could see that a couple of years ago at Southend. he apparently has had a wobbly time at Brentford, but if you bother to read back through this thread you will see that he seems to have a very valid reason for this as there was a personal issue in his life that would have damaged his concentration. That is in the past now and we have given him a new environment to get back on track. 

Yeah but he’s a footballer who gets paid 10 grand a week so must be a robot who doesn’t get affected by personal stuff us mere mortals might be upset about!!

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

The statement was top end not established. Obviously he’s established. I just think he isn’t a goalie for a top six side

We are not a top 6 side so seems a fair signing 

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Just to be clear, I am delighted with every aspect of the club. I’m not even that bothered if we go up cos I love watching city every other week and get to a fair few away games.

positive about nearly every signing 

I just don’t like this one 

Don't mind it but a bit of a slap in the face to Max who stood up and did the business when required 

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

We are not a top 6 side so seems a fair signing 

Our aim is to become one

Look, I hope I’m wrong. Fingers crossed

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Don't mind it but a bit of a slap in the face to Max who stood up and did the business when required 

He will come again Tone, plenty of time especially if the new coach can get him commanding his box..

• Like 1

Not that impressed with this, he is a walking goal against in my opinion and have thought the same every time we played Brentford.

Be very happy to be proved wrong but silky as he may be, no where near as good as Maenpaa who must start as no 1.

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

He hasn’t he had a tough season but Brentford were very open at the back last season so most keepers would of struggled,

form is temporary class is Permanent,

j

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Why? he's very young a year on loan would do him the world of good

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Max played very well in the side in Nikki's absence, so why drop him from the squad?

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Bit like Connor Ripley then eh

:yawn:

#GoalkeepingExpert

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Our aim is to become one

Look, I hope I’m wrong. Fingers crossed

There is a player there who can develop into a top 6 keeper though, which is our ethos. Many would have said the same about a certain Adam Webster last season and look how he has come on under LJ. 

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Max didn’t let us down by any stretch but to me he needs another 40-50 professional games asap to get up to speed. He wouldn’t have got that here unless Niki picked up an injury simply because he isn’t at that level just yet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

#GoalkeepingExpert

Connor Ripley is a quality keeper. 

Has had many personal problems.  Sorry for not foreseeing his personal problems! 

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

He will come again Tone, plenty of time especially if the new coach can get him commanding his box..

He did well enough IMO. Might need some coaching on a few aspects of his game but basically did his job very well.

2 minutes ago, screech said:

Max played very well in the side in Nikki's absence, so why drop him from the squad?

Because of lack of experience he will go out on loan, then when Nikki leaves he will replace him with a lot more experience under his belt

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Just to be clear, I am delighted with every aspect of the club. I’m not even that bothered if we go up cos I love watching city every other week and get to a fair few away games.

positive about nearly every signing 

I just don’t like this one 

I saw a quote somewhere a while ago from Neil Harris describing him as the best keeper outside of the PL.

An exaggeration no doubt but he is certainly rated.

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

All goalkeepers make mistakes. Lets get behind him and get his confidence high.I think this could be a great signing for us.

Agreed. Everyone will be behind him I’m sure. I know I will be.

• Like 1

Been tracking him for years haven't we? Good luck to him, great potential, great signing. Goalkeeping looking very strong.

Kalas and a right back next please... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, screech said:

Because he’s young and needs regular games. Splinters up his backside isn’t what he needs at this stage of his development.

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

He did well enough IMO. Might need some coaching on a few aspects of his game but basically did his job very well.

I think he will know his place in the team though and will know LJ's plans for him. 

1 minute ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Few people not happy with this signing, I'm wondering if it's the same people who critised the signing of Nikki 

Did people criticise that signing? I had never seen him play so didn’t have an opinion. Would he surprised if many had 

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

The leadership team changed at Brentford last year; the coaching, discussions and overall environment many not have been to Bentley’s liking, as a result he may not have been able to perform at his best.

He is talented and I think we have the setup and ambition to help him flourish.

Good signing - welcome Daniel.

Edited by WestonRobin

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Because of lack of experience he will go out on loan, then when Nikki leaves he will replace him with a lot more experience under his belt

Don't agree with the sentiment, but thats opinions for you.

He looked to me that he was every bit ready to get that experience here, didn't let us down at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WestonRobin said:

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

The leadership team changed at Brentford last year; the coaching, discussions and overall environment many not have been to Bentley’s liking, as a result he was able to perform at his best.

He is talented and I think we have the setup and ambition to help him flourish.

Good signing - welcome Daniel.

Hope you are correct. This is our year 

1 minute ago, screech said:

Don't agree with the sentiment, but thats opinions for you.

He looked to me that he was every bit ready to get that experience here, didn't let us down at all.

Not for me, he struggled to command his box for me, and that’s only due to lack of experience,

He will make a good living and hopefully with city but he isn’t there just yet

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

If those are the x2 goalie kits does that mean no purple lime this season.

Buy the purple shirt and lime shorts, job done.

• Like 1

Good signing, but he now has the next month to remove Nikki from our no1....I like Nikki so let’s see who gets the starring role v Leeds 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RedDave said:

So you still know better than somebody who has seen him 20 times?

• Confused 1

Da Silva back was excellent, but also really required once Kelly moved on.

The lad from Colchester seems a no-brainier as is young, a two time top scorer for them, and for compensation too, so essentially a punt, and hopefully a decent one.

Bentley would have been a massive signing a few years back when he was very highly rated, but with his form cooling a bit, this looks more like an opportunist signing of a player with promise than a big shot signing - but that’s no bad thing, and may have helped us get him.

I‘m happy with the business so far; Kalas would be a massive one too, so hopefully that is on. Am hoping we find a striker to plug into the senior ranks too, as were shallow there at time last year, but plenty of time yet.

Nice work so far from the club.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

So you still know better than somebody who has seen him 20 times?

Differing opinions. I’ve seen him about 15 times 

Very pleased with this signing.

Felt a few years ago we should've gone for him when at Southend but City didn't seem to want to invest in the keeper position in the same way as an outfield player. Can be worth several points a season with a good keeper.  

Welcome DB.

It’s not a question of sending Max out on loan, it’s finding for him the right loan, where he will be expertly coached. I wonder whether we are, so say, signing the keeper from Colchester specifically to provide coaching to Max at the club to which he is loaned (obviously acting as our third choice keeper if required)? Just a thought. 

Welcome to BCFC Dan, it will be really good to have strong opposition for the keepers shirt, guessing Max will go out on loan while NM and DK battle it out for the shirt. If he’s better than NM then he will be an excellent signing. 

Delighted with our transfer business so far.

Edited by Jerseybean
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

It’s not a question of sending Max out on loan, it’s finding for him the right loan, where he will be expertly coached. I wonder whether we are, so say, signing the keeper from Colchester specifically to provide coaching to Max at the club to which he is loaned (obviously acting as our third choice keeper if required)? Just a thought. 

Colchester ? I'm officially confused Rudy old sock.

Edited by BigTone

13 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Tremendous signing top keeper about time we invested in a keeper i think the last time was jan moller welcome to the gate dan

I think Billy Mercer would have turned out to be a fantastic one - his injuries were very unfortunate - what might have been .... we had a real good ‘un there 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Ideally he needs a League 1 loan and he is certainly good enough to get one if someone has a spot available.

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

#GoalkeepingExpert

On the ball as ever mate!   Good to see you back 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1