Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

hoxton casual

SIGNED: Daniel Bentley

3 hours ago, RedYoshi said:

From a Brentford mate:

”He had 2 good seasons, but last season he cost us about 9 points from errors and got dropped. It coincided with us getting a new keeper coach - he lost confidence. He will need a good start, otherwise he could lose it again. Good fast distribution and a good shot stopper, but does not command his area at corners.”

Strange because I would say Maenpaa does command his area (and his distribution is good) - if only he wasn't so injury prone we wouldn't have needed Bentley now but perhaps he will start on the bench until Nikki's next injury?

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Oh, I thought commanding area was something he did well.

Well that goes to show don't trust youtube when judging a player!

Not totally sure that trust is better placed in my mate, mind!

Kind of have the feeling that nearly every football supporter thinks that their keeper isn’t great at commanding the area - or at least “could be better”. One of those universal things of looking at your own team/players in a far more negative way than others.

We can only wait and see - but he seems to be of the opinion that a change of environment could be good for him.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Selred said:

Because he’s a footballer. All footballers, unless motivated by money, want to play. 

Keepers need games, especially young ones. 

Him going out on loan to league one next year will do so much more for his growth and experience than being a number 2 here.

I am amazed that some don’t get this. Max O’Leary needs regular games not a season of being number 2 pick.

• Like 3

On 29/06/2019 at 09:53, ImpartialBeesFan said:

If you're interested in a Brentford fan's view (mine) then I'll sum it up for you (most of you have said it all already).

He's a great shot stopper and always has been.

Distribution is generally very good.

He made lots of unforced errors this year and lost his place.

Comments about lack of protection are fair, to an extent, and was probably part of it, but definitely not all.

The rainbow baby thing had also been mentioned a while back as a possible reason for head not being right (but nobody seems completely sure).

I think the people on here likening him to Joe Hart probably aren't too far wrong.

His weakest area is decision making - coming to claim for things / commanding his area / judgement on when to come out / ball at his feet.

With good coaching or support he might be able to improve these things and become a great keeper - but he might not.

I don't think anyone's super upset to lose him at Brentford but also wouldn't have been too upset if he'd stayed either because he does have the potential to be really good.

Nobody knows for sure which way he'll go (but I guess that's the case with any Keeper) and for 3 or 4 million it's probably not the worst gamble in the world.

Shaping up to be another interesting year in the Championship and lots of us are probably going to end up with very different teams to last year come September!

Thanks for this.  My view is that the Dan Bentley we are buying is a Dan Bentley a few years older and experienced than the one we were after before he went to Brentford, who got him on compensation.  The gamble of £1m that was touted a few years back might’ve been too much for a GK when we had Frank Fielding already....and we tried to cover with the likes of Hamer, O’Donnell, Lucic and Giefer....until we finally got Niki.

Paying £2-4m (£3 in my spreadsheet as the middle ground) on a 25 year old is still a bit of money, but LJ’s expectation is that the new GK coach Mountain will get him back to the form he was in a year ago.  This is a proper signing with true competition for Niki and the man to take his gloves.  It leaves Max with a season to go and get some minutes and then come back to then keep Bentley on his toes.

This is how each position evolves, but it isn’t easy for that conveyor belt to work.

FWIW here’s some charts.  The first one doesn’t tell us much more than we already know.  Bentley likes a punch, as does Max.  Our defenders will expect him to come and punch rather than claim.  It probably shows up Max’s passing weakness (at this point in his development).  The second chart just shows similar across the division.

4887079C-7F4D-4C6A-BEE7-61D5D0E52744.thumb.jpeg.0d9fedae434605042300f402f34fe322.jpeg

19CFA26E-6308-48FB-A2F7-5F815FE0447D.png

• Thanks 2

Feels like Maenpaa's to lose?

Bentley based on that should compete hard and it may well be Bentley v O'Leary medium-long run, but injuries notwithstanding- and some concerns over the Bentley errors last season, means Maenpaa starts as first choice?

Seems strong competition for the No.1 on the cards though- both good technically too which is good!

• Like 1

On 29/06/2019 at 09:53, ImpartialBeesFan said:

With good coaching or support he might be able to improve these things and become a great keeper

I feel this is what we're going for, his stock may have fallen a bit over the past year so buying him when 3/4 mil when if he'd have a good season last season you'd probably have been asking for 7/8 mil at least. Bigger risk in outlay by us but with young (for a GK) English keepers there's the potential for big rewards.