IGNORED

SIGNED: Daniel Bentley

hoxton casual

To be fair it could be argued why are people getting so excited about a player who has just had a stinker of a season.

I am going to wait and see on this one. I do think it is a big gamble buying players who have been on bad form, Diony, kent and Watkins were all on terrible form before joining us and just carried on being terrible for us.

However like I said before it seems like he has everything from a technical point of view. Positive, comes and punches and catches crosses. Great shot stopper and great distributor. Brave and makes himself big. He seems to have everything, and is only 25. It could be a great signing and possibly a gamble worth taking.

But those are all the things he CAN do, but will he do them. On current form he won't, so I completely get the concern about spending 4 million on him.

But he could become the player he was and better. So I am just going to wait and see what he is like. But I won't be slagging off the club if he never gets good again as I completely get why they signed him.

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

On the ball as ever mate!   Good to see you back 

Not too often mate but thanks

sometimes I read , and it’s been really interesting , to just read,      and amongst many ithings notice how dismissive , the odd particular  poster on here is to everyone else on virtually every subject 

And sometimes you have to turn the mirror round

;)

( ps.   When i Do , At home , I don’t always like the view ....:laughcont: )

Looking at the Brentford comments they have no other decent keepers which could have contributed to his slight regression last season. 

At Brentford he was practically guaranteed to start. Here he will be alongside another player who he knows will get the nod over him if he is not performing.

I am no manager, but this has to be beneficial for the development of a player and also makes this transfer less of a risk for us. We know there’s is a player in there and if he shows this bad form we know Niki is a solid option.

Frankie was incredibly unconvincing when he first signed for us, however went on to fight off many other keepers to keep his spot. This had to help his development. 

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Very pleased with this one. One poor season doesn’t define a player’s ability, and he’s been courted in the past by bigger clubs than us. 

Should provide excellent competition with Niki. 

Agree

Like all our signings , and all signings full stop there’s an element of a gamble there

If he’d had another stellar season for Brentford he’d have been in with a shout of better / bigger than us

Hes demonstrated he has the attributes to be a top keeper , certainly at our current level

As an aside , for me keepers are probably the hardest to scout / get right - they can’t afford bad games and any mistake magnified

If someone had signed DeGea prior to last season and he’d had the season they had would they think they bought a dud

A new start / challenge is hopefully just what he needs to regain confidence

No guarantees with any keeper signing and for the money we have to utiliseI think he’s a very good , and brave signing 

If he has a mare that won’t change

Id like to know who people would have suggested we signed keeper wise and for what money

Really optimistic / pleased about JDS , Bentley and it would appear Kalas

Confess I know nothing about Szmodics but he appears to be a signing that fits our ‘plan’ and will be interesting to see how he progresses and certainly is an interesting one 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree

Like all our signings , and all signings full stop there’s an element of a gamble there

If he’d had another stellar season for Brentford he’d have been in with a shout of better than us

Hes demonstrated he has the attributes to be a top keeper , certainly at our current level

As an aside , for me keepers are probably the hardest to scout / get right - they can’t afford bad games and any mistake magnified

If someone had signed DeGea prior to last season and he’d had the season they had would they think they bought a dud

A new start / challenge is hopefully just what he needs to regain confidence

No guarantees with any keeper signing and for the money we have to utiliseI think he’s a very good , and brave signing 

If he has a mare that won’t change

Id like to know who people would have suggested we signed keeper wise and for what money

Well said Bob (and welcome back).

And of course Dr Gea gor pelters throughout his first season in England.

23 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

It’s rumoured that we’re signing the Colchester keeper as a third choice plus coaching role. 

So we can have one goalkeeper coach per first team goalkeeper?

Welcome to Daniel Bentley. 

I don’t know much about him other than City have been linked with him before and have rated him highly. Looking at the Brentford forum it seems like his form dipped last season, but some of them suggest there was a goal-keeping coach issue there. 

Glad we are getting players in for pre-season. 

Can I make an unpopular but reasoned suggestion?

With Bentley in the bag, keep JoJo or Sesay as number 3 (We’d have to have atrocious luck for keeper injuries to repeat to an extent where they’re needed for an extended period), and loan Max to....

The Lot down the road.

Logic here:

- We want him to play L1 football

- They have no first choice keeper

- They won’t pay big. So may need to rely on loans 

- They’re a bit shit so he should get good practice 

In all seriousness, I would absolutely explore this. It’s the level we want, a team that have a need and is local for monitoring. It also highlights the gap when our third choice would be their first.

NB - Welcome Dan!

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

With Bentley in the bag, keep JoJo or Sesay as number 3 (We’d have to have atrocious luck for keeper injuries to repeat to an extent where they’re needed for an extended period), and loan Max to....

The Lot down the road.

Logic here:

In all seriousness, I would absolutely explore this. It’s the level we want, a team that have a need and is local for monitoring. It also highlights the gap when our third choice would be their first.

NB - Welcome Dan!

We might have helped them out perhaps but Wael burned his bridges.

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The Lot down the road.

Logic here:

NB - Welcome Dan!

Until he makes a mistake and gets twice the hounding that he would from anywhere else. 

There will be much better options for him.

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The Lot down the road.

Logic here:

NB - Welcome Dan!

They would just about accept an ex- City player playing for them, a current one i'm pretty sure they'd give him a bad time. Anyway, **** 'em if they can't find a keeper.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The Lot down the road.

Logic here:

NB - Welcome Dan!

No I would loan him to someone we have a good relationship with. I don't think we have or ever will have that with Rovers.

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Until he makes a mistake and gets twice the hounding that he would from anywhere else. 

There will be much better options for him.

Genuinely, where? 

We like Max, but it’s a huge shout for a top 6 league one side to have him as first choice currently. Mid to lower table L1 is where we realistically expect him to go and there is a clear vacancy there to let him play

It does seem crazy that we have got to a point where we are spending 4 million on a goalie that probably won't get in the starting 11. Well not until Maenpaa is injured or his form dips.

9 minutes ago, TBW said:

So we can have one goalkeeper coach per first team goalkeeper?

Firstly, just because the Colchester guy we’re rumoured to be signing is a keeper, doesn’t mean that he can only coach keepers. Secondly I just wondered whether LJ thinks highly enough of Max’ potential that he’s prepared to send one our coaches to work with him a couple of days each week whilst he’s out on loan?

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The Lot down the road.

Logic here:

NB - Welcome Dan!

Sorry, can’t happen......Wally said there would be no further trading between the clubs after the snake palaver.....oh well

30 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Now we can say that our transfer market is accelerating. ?

Welcome, Bentley!

I love how people have melt downs over the summer because we haven't signed anyone when it's very well known most clubs wont begin their transfer business until around the 1st of July and there is a good reason for that. If you sign a player on say the 1st June, then you've landed yourself with a months extra wages. Now in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge amount, but what's the point of throwing away that months wages when the player is on holiday and not even at the club? Times the wages by 3 or 4 signings and then it does come quite a big amount. 

In all likelihood, these transfers were agreed weeks ago but the players won't join us until the 1st July.

Archived