IGNORED

U21 England v. France Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

Should be a good game this one but certainly a tough match to start off with. Plenty of interest with JDS, Lloyd & Tammy all in the squad along with the likes of Sessegnon, Mount, Foden, Solanki & Maddison. No doubt the way the pathway is at the moment some of these boys will be making the Senior squad should they impress in this tournament. Could be a close game - hopefully England can edge it and give themselves every chance of progressing. 

8p KO - Sky Sports Football (or your favourite streaming service) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48669141

:englandsmile4wf:

Be interesting to see what team he goes with. I still have my doubts over Bothroyd, I think someone like Johnson would be ideal to manage the u21s

I'd go with, 

Gunn

Wan Bissaka, Tomori, Clarke Salter, Dasilva. 

Foden, Choudhury, Maddison

Reiss Nelson, Tammy, Gray.

I don't know if he'll go that attacking vs the French though. Can see him playing 4 in midfield to get Dowell/Gibbs White and Choudhury in midfield at the same time.

42 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

What's the view of the game in France, @PHILINFRANCE ? High expectations of their young 'uns? ??

To be honest, the French people with whom I have discussed this seem more interested in the Womens World Cup, hosted in France and where they think they have a realistic chance of winning the trophy. 

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Everyone in France more interested in the Tory leadership debate I think.

I am not sure whether or not you were being sarcastic, but I don't think there is that much interest at the moment - that will come later when the leader is chosen.

Finally, @Kid in the Riot and anybody else interested, I was actually being serious when I commented on the unfortunate clash between the football and the Tory debate: I shall watch the debate and then switch channels for the second half of the football.

7 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Be interesting to see what team he goes with. I still have my doubts over Bothroyd, I think someone like Johnson would be ideal to manage the u21s

I'd go with, 

Gunn

Wan Bissaka, Tomori, Clarke Salter, Dasilva. 

Foden, Choudhury, Maddison

Reiss Nelson, Tammy, Gray.

I don't know if he'll go that attacking vs the French though. Can see him playing 4 in midfield to get Dowell/Gibbs White and Choudhury in midfield at the same time.

I’d be happy with that line up. In fact, after we’ve been bold in the transfer market, you’ve successfully named the City team on the opening day of the 2019/20 season. 

40 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

To be honest, the French people with whom I have discussed this seem more interested in the Womens World Cup, hosted in France and where they think they have a realistic chance of winning the trophy.  

Especially with VAR helping

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Finally, @Kid in the Riot and anybody else interested, I was actually being serious when I commented on the unfortunate clash between the football and the Tory debate: I shall watch the debate and then switch channels for the second half of the football.

It’s bound to be decent viewing given that Boris will be participating; car crash tv guaranteed. No one wins though really, especially seeing the UK public get one of the fools as our next PM. 

16 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

It’s bound to be decent viewing given that Boris will be participating; car crash tv guaranteed. No one wins though really, especially seeing the UK public get one of the fools as our next PM. 

It should certainly be an interesting debate, although I doubt it will be the car crash you predict.

Unfortunately, @Laner, I don't think "Especially with VAR helping" this will be the case.

5 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Isn't Kelly usually in when they play with a back 3? 

Played in a 2 against Poland and Italy, though he did come on at half time in Italy game. Played left back too in one game.

18 minutes ago, Gazred said:

At this level that's a strong squad. Hope they impress.

Best of luck to Jay tonight and Lloyd if he gets on.

It is, though France are regarded as the best team in it.

Could be the strongest U21 championship ever some pundits are saying.

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

How the **** is that a pen! Good save but ffs what is the ref playing at

Clear pen. He put his arm out for no reason

The new penalty laws being applied by referees or VAR which don’t require a handball to be deliberate or, it seems, give rise to a goal scoring opportunity are making a mockery of the game. We won’t have VAR in the Championship next season (thank God!) but if refs start giving penalties like that given here we’ll gave 4  or 5 a game. Ridiculous! 

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Clear pen. He put his arm out for no reason

Handball rule exists so you cannot play the ball with either arm or hands and thus define the game from rugby.

He didnt, the ball was headed at his arm from less than a foot. 

They were jumping and that’s how you jump.

Its getting ******* ridiculous 

Solanke's touch is so poor. Don't get why he is in. Drilled in pass by maddison to his feet and he smashes it off for throw, which was actually him trying to control the ball.

Archived