IGNORED

U21 England v. France Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It was coming but what a joke of an own goal. Henderson was about to pick it up before Wan-Bisaka puts it into the net with the wrong foot. I despair of one-footed players at times. 

Think Henderson has to take some blame. Atrocious defending by Wan-Bisaka but doesn’t look like Henderson gave a shout at any point.

Just when u start to be impressed by a performance...........the same old failings emerge.   Choudrey let his team down, but what a joke of a defeat.  France are extremely fortunate to win that game......but Phil Foden is who i feel sorry for.  And final thought..................Bissaka will fit right in at Old Trafford ?

Such an English display! We had one man sent off but from that point on, we played as though we were down to 8. We conceded so much ground that France were always going to score. 

Wan-Bissaka had a dreadful game from start to finish. Boothroyd made a  curious starting selection then, when deciding that defence was the answer, why bring on Abraham and Calvert-Lewis and play them wide? Kelly would have been a far more sensible choice to protect JDS. Tammy defended  like a striker! Bewildering. 

9 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

1-0 up in the first game.

Down to 10 men.

Then Boothroyd goes Mike Bassett.

TWO up top???

I assumed we were going to basically try and block off the middle and force France to play very wide each side and sit in a block, Tammy and DCL would then provide challenges for out balls played by defenders, no idea what they were actually trying to do in reality.

Disappointing result in the end. But some really promising stuff when we had 11 men. @hodge called it right with his posts above. The first goal was Mount completely disregarding his station and leaving the space open for the through ball. Salter also not covering far enough across to the danger area to close down spaces. 

Anyway, based on the first game, here’s my thoughts on which of these lads have a chance of breaking into the full squad :

Will DEFINITELY play for full squad :

Foden - immense talent, but I hope his eager running style doesn’t afford him a bad injury. 

Tomori - looks a real class centre back. Cool, quick, positionally astute. 

A VERY GOOD chance of playing for full squad :

Henderson - very good instincts and quick reactions. Comfortable enough on the ball to be the modern ‘ball-playing’ keeper. 

Maddison - great ability and creativity. 

A DECENT chance of playing for full squad :

Choudary - ok, it was a terrible challenge that changed the game, but prior to that he looked to have everything you want in the deep midfielder role. Calm that rashness he displayed on the red card and I think he’s better than Declan Rice & Dier in that position. 

UNLIKELY to make the full squad :

Da Silva - Good player but I don’t think he’ll quite make the next step up. 

Salter-Clarke - Looked nowhere near good enough for me. Good passing ability but deficient in his defensive qualities. 

Wan-Bissaka - anyone believing the hype? Poor instincts, relies heavily on pace to get out of trouble, poor decisions on the ball, especially in final third. Palace should take the £40m and run. 

Gray - Runs into good positions but found wanting for quality at that important moment. 

Sessegnon - Did very little to suggest he’ll make it at the next level. 

Solanke - Absolute pony. 

48 minutes ago, Harry said:

Disappointing result in the end. But some really promising stuff when we had 11 men. @hodge called it right with his posts above. The first goal was Mount completely disregarding his station and leaving the space open for the through ball. Salter also not covering far enough across to the danger area to close down spaces. 

Anyway, based on the first game, here’s my thoughts on which of these lads have a chance of breaking into the full squad :

Foden - immense talent, but I hope his eager running style doesn’t afford him a bad injury. 

Henderson - very good instincts and quick reactions. Comfortable enough on the ball to be the modern ‘ball-playing’ keeper. 

Choudary - ok, it was a terrible challenge that changed the game, but prior to that he looked to have everything you want in the deep midfielder role. Calm that rashness he displayed on the red card and I think he’s better than Declan Rice & Dier in that position. 

Salter-Clarke - Looked nowhere near good enough for me. Good passing ability but deficient in his defensive qualities. 

Wan-Bissaka - anyone believing the hype? Poor instincts, relies heavily on pace to get out of trouble, poor decisions on the ball, especially in final third. Palace should take the £40m and run. 

Gray - Runs into good positions but found wanting for quality at that important moment. 

Solanke - Absolute pony. 

How Solanke got that move to Bournemouth I have absolutely no idea. With the best will in the world, he has never done anything ANY time I've seen him to suggest that he is anything but shite. Bet Liverpool were laughing all the way to the bank.

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

How Solanke got that move to Bournemouth I have absolutely no idea. With the best will in the world, he has never done anything ANY time I've seen him to suggest that he is anything but shite. Bet Liverpool were laughing all the way to the bank.

I was going to post something similar earlier. He's been around a few years now and I can't think of one thing he's done to warrant the hype about him 

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I always thought the Solanke deal was a sweetener for Liverpool in bring Clyne to the club ahead on other teams. 

Either that or there is something really suspect about the business between Bournemouth and Liverpool that needs investigating with Jordan Ibe’s move as well as Solanke. That’s a lot of money given to Liverpool for some very poor players that weren’t even part of Liverpool’s plans!

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Solanke - Absolute pony. 

Agree about Foden. Looks like a new Jack Wilshire in terms of playing style/ability and look how that worked out.

Hopefully Foden is made on sterner stuff.

Poor tackle aside, Choudhury had a good first half considering he was on his own more often than not up against the French midfield. Foden and Maddison a lot further forward. 

When Leicester played Man City towards the end of the season he was excellent. I think he'll end up at one of the big teams within a couple of years. 

Can only echo what others are saying about Solanke. Hopefully AB goes with Tammy next game. 

As I said earlier on in the thread, I don't believe Boothroyd is the right man for the job based on what I've seen. Let's not forget he got sacked by Northampton when they were bottom of League 2. 

Archived