IGNORED

Michel Platini / Tournaments (Merged)

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

When Blatter was in charge and everything was starting to kick off,I thought there was hope it would be taken away from Qatar.

Its a little bit too late now.

On the contrary.  Steve should get on the dog and bone to the head of FIFA and tell him Ashton Gate is ready to host World Cup games.  We will even host the final if Wembley can't get its act in order.

Tell him we'll throw in the Spice Girls and Rod Stewart for the opening ceremony...

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin once again attempted to justify having the Europa League climax in Baku. He used the well-rehearsed, stunningly foolish logic, that if two Azerbaijani teams had reached a final at Wembley, there would not have been the same level of complaint. As if this could realistically happen. 

Last season, four teams from Azerbaijan were involved in the Europa League — three entered in the first qualifying round and exited it, too, while Qarabag made the group stage, where they came bottom — goal difference minus 11. After July 19, there was no possibility of an all-Azerbaijani final.

Indeed, since the Europa League was founded, in season 2009-10, only once have two Azerbaijani clubs progressed to the group stage. Both finished bottom of their groups, meaning the chances of thousands of Azerbaijani football fanatics proving UEFA's point by remaining cheerful in the face of an inconvenient trip to Wembley, is a scenario as likely to be tested as a Champions League final that doubles up as the Bristol derby.

'Whenever we have complaints, you don't help yourself in your popularity within European football with that,' added Ceferin, like it was a threat.

In other words, dumbly accept every dumb decision made by dumb UEFA officials or we won't like you. Tell you what, chump, we'll live with it.

MARTIN SAMUEL, DAILY MAIL, 17 JUNE 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7151447/Special-case-Manchester-Uniteds-Paul-Pogba-needs-special-merit-that.html

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Chivs said:

On the contrary.  Steve should get on the dog and bone to the head of FIFA and tell him Ashton Gate is ready to host World Cup games.  We will even host the final if Wembley can't get its act in order.

Plenty of time to change it, still a very long way off 

The thing with an English bid, our stadia, transport etc are all ready in place, not one of these countries that is building everything from scratch.

Mexico managed it in 1986 with less than 3 years notice, and the world has massively changed since then.

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Plenty of time to change it, still a very long way off 

The thing with an English bid, our stadia, transport etc are all ready in place, not one of these countries that is building everything from scratch.

Mexico managed it in 1986 with less than 3 years notice, and the world has massively changed since then.

I'd suggest a UK/Ireland bid, being able to have Millennium stadium, Celtic Park, Aviva stadium etc would make the bid more appealing imo along with all the English grounds.

4 hours ago, grifty said:

To be fair to all these random places they are choosing for World Cup and Champions League finals they are trying to widen the appeal, get smaller nations involved, interest from where there may not be but they’ve just done it without weighing up the pros and cons first

Random? 

Common denominator with these random places is that they have money and a track record for bribery and corruption! 

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The looks on the faces of the other countries' delegates when Qatar wins it are priceless.  They know damn well the whole thing has been a charade and Qatar paid the biggest bribe.

scumbags

5 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Doesn't seem to be on the Beeb as yet, but I see Sky reporting that Platini has been arrested in relation to corruption over the Qatar 2022 bid.

If true, imagine the surprise and shock horror on that one. The authorities must have had Colombo, Poirot, Sherlock and Shoestring working the case. 

4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Maigret surely. 

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

or Mr Bean…

Tch, tch, I'm sorry to have to say this but you lot are as bad as FIFA....  You really haven't got a  Clouseau  have you?  

3 hours ago, hodge said:

I'd suggest a UK/Ireland bid, being able to have Millennium stadium, Celtic Park, Aviva stadium etc would make the bid more appealing imo along with all the English grounds.

I'd suggest that FIFA would find that as appealing as a fanny fart.

They don't like us too much do they (we must be doing something right).

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I'd suggest that FIFA would find that as appealing as a fanny fart.

They don't like us too much do they (we must be doing something right).

Hence why its more appealing than just an England bid :laughcont:

7 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

When Blatter was in charge and everything was starting to kick off,I thought there was hope it would be taken away from Qatar.

Its a little bit too late now.

I read somewhere that the USA could host a World Cup at 6 months notice and is on standby for the 2022 as they were for 2018 in Russia

How has the WC not been moved yet? In all my saves on Football Manager in recent years the 2022 WC has always been moved to Australia/Canada/Argentina/Us. So we’ve really reached a point where Football Manager is looking at real life and going “that’s too unrealistic for me”. Madness. 

54 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I read somewhere that the USA could host a World Cup at 6 months notice and is on standby for the 2022 as they were for 2018 in Russia

Given they co-host 2026, seems unlikely they would get 2022, even on short notice standby. That said, this is FIFA, common sense doesn't necessarily come into it.

3 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Given they co-host 2026, seems unlikely they would get 2022, even on short notice standby. That said, this is FIFA, common sense doesn't necessarily come into it.

Which is extremely unfortunate as, by any logical conclusion, they should have been awarded the 2022 WC by right!

11 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Which is extremely unfortunate as, by any logical conclusion, they should have been awarded the 2022 WC by right!

Australia probably should’ve been awarded it as suddenly not having hosted before became a criteria, obviously not included the bribe criteria. But they were never going to win as the tume difference wouldn’t have suited the tv companies 

Definitely Qatar should never have got it.

I remember discussing it with people at the time. I had a lot less of a problem with it being in Russia as for a start Russia has a decent football background, it has stadia aplenty, big country and has not hosted a major football tournament before. Didn't disrupt the season either as it took place in summer as usual- Russia? Bit left-field but can accept them getting a WC and did at the time.

Qatar was the big one for me. No discernible football background, small country, temperatures which make it impossible or disrupt significantly a season with knock on effects on following seasons, no major football tournament but then it just isn't the right size, hasn't the infrastructure, is just much too small. Then we come onto the human rights issues- all those workers dying helping build the ground. A truly appalling decision and definitely cannot have been come to on technical merits, Qatar 2022.

58 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

Australia probably should’ve been awarded it as suddenly not having hosted before became a criteria, obviously not included the bribe criteria. But they were never going to win as the tume difference wouldn’t have suited the tv companies 

Waltzing Matilda aside, I don't have too many problems with Australian tunes....

• Admin

"England were one of the original favourites to host the tournament, but it still seems unlikely the World Cup will come to Europe after Russia hosted the previous edition last summer.

Fifa are said to be holding hushed discussions on axing Qatar and gifting the tournament to another nation after a series of high-profile controversies.

England, who already have the stadiums available to host, have now seen their odds on hosting the tournament slashed to just 6/1, despite it being highly unlikely.

Qatar were initially awarded the World Cup in 2010 - but the latest news surrounding Platini has thrust that into jeopardy yet again"

Archived