IGNORED

AC Milan want Europa League exclusion

Lrrr

The Rossoneri are looking to use the exclusion as a bargaining chip in the negotiations with UEFA about FFP, which currently prevents them from investing into the team without selling any important players.

In the coming days (within 72 hours), a response is expected from UEFA, as revealed by SempreMilan.com’s Vito Angele. Should they grant Ivan Gazidis’ request, then Milan will be able to invest this transfer window without having to worry about FFP. 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

The Rossoneri are looking to use the exclusion as a bargaining chip in the negotiations with UEFA about FFP, which currently prevents them from investing into the team without selling any important players.

In the coming days (within 72 hours), a response is expected from UEFA, as revealed by SempreMilan.com’s Vito Angele. Should they grant Ivan Gazidis’ request, then Milan will be able to invest this transfer window without having to worry about FFP. 

They should enter a kids team in the Checkatrade.

Looks like it will be granted.

I think they're looking to exclude themselves- take the punishment basically- to help to give  a year to get finances in order, but also invest. I believe their current owners who are a hedge fund called Elliott Management actually do want to comply with FFP- quite a few senior players had their contracts expire so this feels to me like buying time to an extent.

It's certainly a novel approach and tbh one I applaud, if only for its chutzpah! They should be punished but I do think they are looking to comply.

40 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I’m just surprised more teams don’t want out. Bloody stupid competition! If you’re involved in the first round you have to play 19 games to win it, which equates to half a season for the larger leagues in Europe. 

You're right it does seem pretty pointless in this day and age, no one seems bothered about it until at least the quarters.  Yet UEFA are bringing in a further league that's at a lower level again in a few years time....absolutely crazy. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I’m just surprised more teams don’t want out. Bloody stupid competition! If you’re involved in the first round you have to play 19 games to win it, which equates to half a season for the larger leagues in Europe. 

I saw an interview with Scott brown earlier in the week, celtic are back in pre season training, they had 23 days holiday. But guess they also get a much longer winter break too

15 hours ago, lenred said:

You're right it does seem pretty pointless in this day and age, no one seems bothered about it until at least the quarters.  Yet UEFA are bringing in a further league that's at a lower level again in a few years time....absolutely crazy. 

But everyone wants ever more closer European integration, Vince cable told me ?

21 hours ago, lenred said:

Dunno, you can get some decent to large sized sides in it from the get go.

Swansea won 3-0 in Mestalla in the Group Stage. Drew 0-0 with Napoli and lost 3-1 over there but having played very well in first knockout round- pointless? Very much doubt any Swansea fan would say that! Hell, we've never so much as played in Europe- chance of a medium to big hitter would be great. It's only really pointless to a big 6 at most IMO and to a number of sides in other big Leagues- I can see 

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-europa-final-simeone/europa-league-was-crucial-to-atletico-revival-simeone-idUKKCN1IG2U2

No less a club than Atletico, no less a manager than Simeone talks highly of the platform it provided for their great return to prominence under him.

Could be argued that European experience of a run to the semis- a tournament they should've won incidentally- of Juventus in 2014, helped them reach 2 CL finals in the next few years,

The number of games and the Thursday-Sunday routine can cause problems for sure, but pointless? In a contest the winners get a place in the CL in especially- very much doubt it.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dunno, you can get some decent to large sized sides in it from the get go.

Swansea won 3-0 in Mestalla in the Group Stage. Drew 0-0 with Napoli and lost 3-1 over there but having played very well in first knockout round- pointless? Very much doubt any Swansea fan would say that! Hell, we've never so much as played in Europe- chance of a medium to big hitter would be great. It's only really pointless to a big 6 at most IMO and to a number of sides in other big Leagues- I can see 

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-europa-final-simeone/europa-league-was-crucial-to-atletico-revival-simeone-idUKKCN1IG2U2

No less a club than Atletico, no less a manager than Simeone talks highly of the platform it provided for their great return to prominence under him.

Could be argued that European experience of a run to the semis- a tournament they should've won incidentally- of Juventus in 2014, helped them reach 2 CL finals in the next few years,

The number of games and the Thursday-Sunday routine can cause problems for sure, but pointless? In a contest the winners get a place in the CL in especially- very much doubt it.

I was talking from the POV of the big clubs in this country who regularly get into Europe (although even Burnley and Dyche talked of the massively detrimental effect it had on their season).  So much store is placed on the Champs League here and nothing else. No doubt that teams in other countries see it differently (indeed in a debate on this very subject a Euro journalist confirmed it is) but I think it’s pretty evident how the regularly qualifying teams here feel about it on the whole, at least until the latter stages when as you say Champs League qualification could be gained.  

No doubt that smaller clubs such as Swansea, Norwich, Boro and Fulham enjoyed their moments in the sun but on the whole it’s a dull competition that suffers from far too many meaningless fixtures and I think most English teams attitudes towards it reflect that.  And so to bring in an even lower ranked competition is pointless imho. It’s a money making scheme, nothing more nothing less.  Bring back the Cup Winners Cup! 

26 minutes ago, lenred said:

I was talking from the POV of the big clubs in this country who regularly get into Europe (although even Burnley and Dyche talked of the massively detrimental effect it had on their season).  So much store is placed on the Champs League here and nothing else. No doubt that teams in other countries see it differently (indeed in a debate on this very subject a Euro journalist confirmed it is) but I think it’s pretty evident how the regularly qualifying teams here feel about it on the whole, at least until the latter stages when as you say Champs League qualification could be gained.  

No doubt that smaller clubs such as Swansea, Norwich, Boro and Fulham enjoyed their moments in the sun but on the whole it’s a dull competition that suffers from far too many meaningless fixtures and I think most English teams attitudes towards it reflect that.  And so to bring in an even lower ranked competition is pointless imho. It’s a money making scheme, nothing more nothing less.  Bring back the Cup Winners Cup! 

Ha, shows the insultarity of a lot of English mindset then- only 6 sides have a realistic ambition of CL, will Wolves not enjoy Europa this season then?

A few years ago Valencia-Arsenal, Napoli-Arsenal- on paper even Chelsea-Frankfurt would be CL type ties, albeit Group or no later than qf. Quite big clubs.

What did it though I think is CL- top 3 and then top 4 into that. The old structure did work great- Champions League- who can enter it? The clue is or should be in the name.

UEFA Cup had 2-3 from the top divisions- good depth of competition.

Cup Winners Cup gave Cup winners an interesting competition.

Think that system worked well personally- only Champions should be in the Champions competition IMO. Made easier granted by the fact there were a lot less countries- no ex Soviet and Yugoslav countries for a start, that and the fact those nations Leagues were a lot stronger as one than now- so could and did send more competitive "Champions" to the tournament.

Oh yeah, and straight knockout. 2 legged straight knock out a lot better in a Cup- any Cup- competition than elongated Group Stages!

If a success starved but potential rich club like Newcastle turns its nose up at it e.g. but a fairly big Spanish and European club such as Atletico Madrid sees it as a vital stepping stone then it's laughable.

19 games to win a cup competition. 

It takes 6 games to win the FA Cup.

Thursday evening football, often in far off Eastern Europe, completely disrupts your league rhythm.

For a group of four, (also Champions League), there are twelve matches in total to go from four teams to two. It should be four games, not twelve; two home and away knockouts. Each team is playing six matches to go from four teams to two - that is a little FA Cup buried inside another competition. 

It is all getting rather tiring now. 

From an England point of view I actually think the tournament is a positive thing. Lot of young English  players get given chance who normally wouldn’t get a look in the CL or premier league. 

The likes of Hudson-Odoi, Maitland-Niles, Loftus-Cheek and even Harry Kane back in the day have forced themselves in their teams first team on the back of playing well in the Europa league. 

That's quite a big benchmark!!

Justifiably so too- guessing their plea-bargain idea didn't work, unless the 2 were interlinked- but the precedent is crucial here- an actual ban as opposed to a voluntary ban leads to the same result but sets quite different paths moving forward.

What it does show is that if they can ban an iconic club steeped in history, plus though I hate the b-word could history and pedigree tie to 'brand' like AC Milan- then they shouldn't have a problem with banning Man City or PSG??

On 20/06/2019 at 13:36, Sir Geoff said:

Why did Milan qualify. Surely it would have made more sense to 'throw' a few matches to avoid qualification and all the ensuing hassle.

Can't imagine that happening in Italy, of all places.:whistle:

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's quite a big benchmark!!

Justifiably so too- guessing their plea-bargain idea didn't work, unless the 2 were interlinked- but the precedent is crucial here- an actual ban as opposed to a voluntary ban leads to the same result but sets quite different paths moving forward.

What it does show is that if they can ban an iconic club steeped in history, plus though I hate the b-word could history and pedigree tie to 'brand' like AC Milan- then they shouldn't have a problem with banning Man City or PSG??

Only in the unlikely event of City and PSG doing a deal as Milan did.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/28/milan-banned-from-europa-league-for-one-year-after-ffp-breach

Archived