IGNORED

What's in a name?

Redtucks

It occurred to me the other day how there seems to be a proliferation of footballers with double barrelled names these days.

Off the top of my head I can think of:

Ainsley Maitland-Niles

James Ward-Prowse

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing

Trent Alexander-Arnold

Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

and now even Bobby Decordova-Reid!!!

I’m sure there are probably more.

I know that we have had Forbes Phillipson-Masters and Jay Emanuel -Thomas, but when I started watching City, many of the players had simple one syllable names.

Gibson, Ford, Briggs, Parr, Connor, Low, Derrick, Bush, Clarke, Atyeo, Peters

The longest was three syllables ….…Atyeo!!!

The complication comes when these young men and women marry partners also with double-barrelled names, who wish to adopt their partner's names whilst retaining their own!

When I started working in the infancy of the computing industry, the surname field on the payroll file was a maximum of 48 characters. It wouldn't be enough today! Then again, the gender field was limited to either 'M' or 'F' - Facebook allow some 71+ different gender types! Clearly, back then we had no vision!

Players also tend to change their names. I’m sure that  Jennison Myrie-Williams was just Jennison Williams when he started playing for City. Then Bobby Reid became Bobby Cordova-Reid when he left 

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

More than likely unmarried parents having kids

Think this is the reason yes. Years ago, well when I was at school,  if you had a double barrelled name you were considered posh, it was the joining of two families with either money or status, or both. Now it’s the couple wanting to give both their names to the child it seems.

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The complication comes when these young men and women marry partners also with double-barrelled names, who wish to adopt their partner's names whilst retaining their own!

Just thought that if two of the posters on here were to marry, we would have Colby-Tit-Hunt-Hertz!

Or would they shorten it to Hunt-Colby or Tit-Hertz!!!!

:dunno:

16 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Just thought that if two of the posters on here were to marry, we would have Colby-Tit-Hunt-Hertz!

Or would they shorten it to Hunt-Colby or Tit-Hertz!!!!

:dunno:

Let's hope that none of these footballers hyphenate the Christian/given names of their children. The poor kids would never be able to fit a "Tommy-Lee Oxlade-Chamberlain" or a "Ellie-May Loftus-Cheek" signature on the back of their Gold MasterCards.

Archived