Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
JonDolman

Weimann

Interested to know what people's plans would be with Weimann this season. Keep playing out wide? Main number 9 striker? Or as a strike partner with someone like Diedhiou or someone else? Bench or sell him?

It is a strange one with him. Previous clubs fans seemed confused as to where his best position is, and some rated him but some didn't. Very mixed opinions on him. I think most fans will always like him because of his work rate, a bit like why everyone liked Wagstaff.

I'm thinking he should be more a squad player than definite starter every game. I just think he lacks the consistency needed in his end product to be a guaranteed starter, which he was last season.

Opinions?

Weimans problem is that’s he’s good in a number of positions and normally puts 7/10 performances in wherever he plays

play him in goal and he’d prob keep a clean sheet,

personally I think his best position is just behind a front 1 or 2 problem with that though he sees the right pass about 5 minutes before the rest of the team

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Interested to know what people's plans would be with Weimann this season. Keep playing out wide? Main number 9 striker? Or as a strike partner with someone like Diedhiou or someone else? Bench or sell him?

It is a strange one with him. Previous clubs fans seemed confused as to where his best position is, and some rated him but some didn't. Very mixed opinions on him. I think most fans will always like him because of his work rate, a bit like why everyone liked Wagstaff.

I'm thinking he should be more a squad player than definite starter every game. I just think he lacks the consistency needed in his end product to be a guaranteed starter, which he was last season.

Opinions?

Personally I thought he was better down the middle and that’s where he scored the majority of his goals when playing there. I felt he went missing on occasions when playing out wide.

• Like 2

I would play him up front with another striker. What makes him so versatile is his tremendous work rate. And I can see why LJ plays him wide . He starts in my 11

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

He's definitely been hurt by his versatility and our wide players inconsistency. We need more responsible wide play and more quality in central midfield to get the best out of him.

He's better as a striker, he wants to play as a striker, LJ said he was predominantly brought in as a striker so I'd actually want to see him used more as a striker.

He's way down on the list of players I want to replace. Yes we need more options up front but he should be part of that.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Weimans problem is that’s he’s good in a number of positions and normally puts 7/10 performances in wherever he plays

play him in goal and he’d prob keep a clean sheet,

personally I think his best position is just behind a front 1 or 2 problem with that though he sees the right pass about 5 minutes before the rest of the team

I personally think it's a no brainer then...stick him in goal and scrap out 1_0s all season. 

In all seriousness though if we can get another striker who makes intelligent runs and knows where the back of the net is I would play wiemann up top with new striker. If we dont then I would stick with fam up top and Wiemann outwide/benched. 

• Like 1

With our current squad he 100% starts for me but even if we sign another striker and winger he’s still a great squad player to have and a good option off the bench.

He has all the attributes of an attacking midfielder to me.

Would be perfect in a 4312....playing a high roaming roll behind a front two.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Hopefully we can bring in better than him. Could be used like Taylor from the bench.

25 minutes ago, swanker said:

Seeing how we’re selling most of our players we as well let him go as well!

We’ve sold 1 player to a prem club for a record fee.......

• Like 7

Weiman is a top class  player , a goal scorer but not a natural finisher.

His energy, eye for a pass , movement etc makes him very valuable to the team.

I would love to see him in the number 10 role or at least in tandem with a finisher .

The problem we then have is where do you play Diedhiou ?

Let’s go with three up top .

:yes:

Depends if he goes missing for 20ish games again.

But tbf if we started the season with FD & AW up front I wouldn't be too disappointed.

12 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Depends if he goes missing for 20ish games again.

But tbf if we started the season with FD & AW up front I wouldn't be too disappointed.

He never went missing for 20ish games, he was played out wide instead of upfront to accommodate fammy

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He never went missing for 20ish games, he was played out wide instead of upfront to accommodate fammy

And went missing, I preferred him upfront or directly behind Fam. Or sometimes even ahead of Fam, I feel like he misses less blatant chances 

Edited by Sturny

27 minutes ago, Sturny said:

And went missing, I preferred him upfront or directly behind Fam. Or sometimes even ahead of Fam, I feel like he misses less blatant chances 

You mean like the 5 or so perfectly good goals he had disallowed?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He got those when he played up top or behind fam 

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

It was 4 disallowed in total and 2 of them were definite errors, 1 was unlikely and 1 was borderline.

6 minutes ago, Sturny said:

He got those when he played up top or behind fam 

3 were when he was out wide, one when through the middle.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It was 4 disallowed in total and 2 of them were definite errors, 1 was unlikely and 1 was borderline.

3 were when he was out wide, one when through the middle.

Which 3? Are you counting those two vs Forest in the same game? Where he was moved when we changed formation if I recall? 

I think he does lack things in any position he plays. Interesting people say behind a striker. I would say that's the one position I definitely wouldn't have him. He can't link the play for me, it's why him and Fam really doesn't work in a 442.

As a striker he did go 13 games without scoring and then got moved out wide. He turned from being like Bobby Reid into Liam Robinson. There is definitely a lack of consistency. He went from passing the ball into the net, to blasting it over with his laces or straight at the keeper with no direction. Needs more composure.

To stay where we are he is a good player to start every game. And even if we played more a counter attacking game in every game then he'd be a consistently effective wide man. But to progress up the league by playing the LJ style I think we need better.

I do like him as a good solid squad option. And he's a handy sub to come on in games.

As long as he isn't on the wing. We comfortably have enough depth in that position and Andi is average at best there. 

If we make a drinking game for next season's match threads surely 'Andi makes a good run but scuffs his shot into the side netting' has to be there

Edited by Newquay-Red

I think we have to wait and see what style / formation we play, who we recruit / sell and whether it’s a flexible or rigid system game to game. 

All i really want to see is players picked on merit in their recognised positions (or best position to benefit the team).

Do I don’t necessarily want Weimann to partner Diedhiou in a two, nor do I want him wide right, but I certainly don’t want players assured of their place irrespective of form / contribution. 

In my mind, I could see Weimann being the on the shoulder striker to Palmer as the no10, but who knows. 

2 hours ago, Sturny said:

Which 3? Are you counting those two vs Forest in the same game? Where he was moved when we changed formation if I recall? 

Fairly plausible I've missed any but from memory:

Disallowed goal at Derby- Never actually seen it, nobody has posted any footage of it but all the talk is that it was incorrect.

Disallowed goal at Nottingham Forest- WRONG-WRONG-WRONG

Disallowed goal v Swansea- Tight

Disallowed goal v Aston Villa- Wrong, but still in real time it's tight.

So 3, maybe 4. Wasn't aware of another at Nottingham Forest disallowed though.

Agree broadly @Davefevs

Weimann through the middle supported by the right player- Palmer as you suggest- would be very interesting. Pack 5-10 yards up the pitch would be advantageous too. I do sometimes wonder if Hegeler in that '1' might have freed up Pack and Brownhill but especially Pack given he would be the one making the change to do just that but we'll never know!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

problem with that though he sees the right pass about 5 minutes before the rest of the team

It is so obvious he thinks on a different level to most of our team, frustrating for him and everyone else! A partner who sees his runs or someone who makes them for him to see will reap dividends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

It is so obvious he thinks on a different level to most of our team, frustrating for him and everyone else! A partner who sees his runs or someone who makes them for him to see will reap dividends.

Palmer....or Pack, if we could get him higher up the pitch. 

5 hours ago, swanker said:

Seeing how we’re selling most of our players we as well let him go as well!

We've sold one player...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Thanks for pointing that out, I was really unaware!

5 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

If he has to play, play him up front with A N Other striker. Not up to much on the wing and can’t lead the line alone. 

He did okay at the start of last season, when we played shorter passes and he could make clever runs on the shoulder.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, swanker said:

Get a grip!

Indeed you should.

When did one player being sold equal "selling most of our players"?

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Indeed you should.

Tomlin if you do it by weight.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Indeed you should.

Because we lost kalas dasilva and palmer

you know player we don’t actually own

and the fact we are 10000000000% selling brownhill webster o’dowda, Ashton gate faland

lansdown is also selling up and Wael is takin g over

oh the kit is now going to be blue as well

On 20/06/2019 at 09:22, Monkeh said:

Sold quite a few last season though!

Personally, I think he is a 4-3-3 player all day long.  Wide right..

He is a good player there, and if we had a striker who converted more of those chances, we'd appreciate Weimann more.

25 minutes ago, swanker said:

Sold quite a few last season though!

And we sold a few in 1994 as well....

We replaced the players we sold last season so that's irrelevant...

When he is on his game he is brilliant like at Sheffield UTD  but can be quiet in a lot of games but is obviously better up the middle,may be the missing link we are looking for. 

1 hour ago, Lordofthebling said:

Personally, I think he is a 4-3-3 player all day long.  Wide right..

He is a good player there, and if we had a striker who converted more of those chances, we'd appreciate Weimann more.

Seems like all managers who have had Weimann agree with you. I think he's good there in a counter attacking style. But really struggles there when needing to unlock defences.

19 hours ago, JBFC II said:

And we sold a few in 1994 as well....

We replaced the players we sold last season so that's irrelevant...

Oh no it’s not!