IGNORED

Transfer forum - hidden?

Leveller

Am I right in thinking our transfer forum is hidden from non members?

If so, is this a good thing?

Personally, I browse numerous clubs’ forums (fora?) to gauge opposition fans’ views on things, and it bugs me when I can’t even read them without joining (Brentford this means you). I don’t believe our forum needs any secret areas, though I recall the steps taken to keep the Ashton Vale discussion away from Nimbies.

If a forum is open to non members to read, but the sub forums are hidden, it just gives the impression we aren’t talking about one of the biggest issues in any fan’s thoughts.

Am I correct or did I dream it?

35 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yes it is, it’s to stop kachina based nonsense 

We just get Derek Williams is a done deal and Moore to Southend is a definite instead.

Not that I'm implying anything at all whatsoever :whistle2:

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Am I right in thinking our transfer forum is hidden from non members?

This is correct, there are a few sections "hidden" from those that don't register and login

36 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yes it is, it’s to stop kachina based nonsense 

I am led to believe he is currently on holiday in an HMP somewhere

Well as a City fan interested in “the other side’s” view of a transfer rumour, I like to trawl other forums.

Unlike certain other sites, we welcome civilised discussion with visiting fans. I appreciate they need to sign up to actually post, but I don’t see any harm in their reading our rumours, as guests. If they want to make mischief they will need to sign up anyway, and that isn’t difficult.

I suggest this aspect of OTIB is amended.

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Well as a City fan interested in “the other side’s” view of a transfer rumour, I like to trawl other forums.

Unlike certain other sites, we welcome civilised discussion with visiting fans. I appreciate they need to sign up to actually post, but I don’t see any harm in their reading our rumours, as guests. If they want to make mischief they will need to sign up anyway, and that isn’t difficult.

There were discussions way back about why this was done, someone only needs to create an account and login, nothing too difficult

It's been like this for over a year now, not sure why it is suddenly an issue now?

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

This is correct, there are a few sections "hidden" from those that don't register and login

Is that due to some horse related shanagans 

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

There were discussions way back about why this was done, someone only needs to create an account and login, nothing too difficult

It's been like this for over a year now, not sure why it is suddenly an issue now?

It’s not suddenly an issue. It’s an opinion I’ve held for ages and just decided to express it. I can’t see a sensible reason for the policy. Is there one?

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

Going by what others have previously stated (on here and elsewhere), it's probably a safer place for him....

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Rumours?  Thought it was all genuine ITK stuff!!!

If people care that much they can register.

Maybe make it visible that the Transfers sub-section exists but it say "members only" so people are aware there is more to the Forum as a whole but I wouldn't go making it all fully visible just for the sake of non-members.

57 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Wow, we all knew he was a conman but blimey, that's one hell of a story. If you didn't know some of the background to this scumbag, you'd read that and say there's no way any of it is true!!

If he ever gets out, I wouldn't be surprised if someone caught up with him at some point.

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Part of the reason we made it so you had to sign up with an account to view it was because of the amount of times the post were taking info off here and making them into stories they then tried to take the credit for. 

I doubt the press have ever had a story that genuinely originated on OTIB. Nearly everything on here is gleaned from fans trawling the Internet, just as the journos do. The journos perhaps use OTIB as a shortcut, but I doubt it. I use Twitter and Newsnow but of course there are hundreds of others. I think OTIB often overstates it’s own importance like this. And anyway, are you seriously saying you can stop journalists joining OTIB for this purpose?

1 hour ago, TBW said:

If people care that much they can register.

Maybe make it visible that the Transfers sub-section exists but it say "members only" so people are aware there is more to the Forum as a whole but I wouldn't go making it all fully visible just for the sake of non-members.

I think your first sentence misses the point. Non members won’t KNOW there’s a hidden sub forum. They’ll just assume we don’t discuss transfers.

But secondly, I just don’t understand why OTIB thinks it’s musings are so important or exciting that they should be secret. Do any other football forums do this? It seems frankly paranoid and rather bonkers if I’m honest.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I doubt the press have ever had a story that genuinely originated on OTIB. 

It has been proven in the past that they were using OTIB.

I won't name the player (from Scotland) but a fake story was put on here in the past and it appeared in the local press

11 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think your first sentence misses the point. Non members won’t KNOW there’s a hidden sub forum. They’ll just assume we don’t discuss transfers.

But secondly, I just don’t understand why OTIB thinks it’s musings are so important or exciting that they should be secret. Do any other football forums do this? It seems frankly paranoid and rather bonkers if I’m honest.

Surely it is not an issue, that  if someone wants to use the site they should log in? Clearly there is only one person that see's an issue with this, and personally I would trust the team that look after this site to know what they are doing. At the end of the day, do we really have any right to question the reasoning behind any of their decisions?

Also don’t underestimate the amount of spam and junk we weed out from the forums, posters from other clubs obviously here to cause trouble and be abusive. Certain matches, transfer time and other times of these year ( school holidays) tend to be rife.

If we can protect certain parts of the forum and still be welcoming and open to all ( unlike our neighbours) then are we really doing that bad a job?

24 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Surely it is not an issue, that  if someone wants to use the site they should log in? Clearly there is only one person that see's an issue with this, and personally I would trust the team that look after this site to know what they are doing. At the end of the day, do we really have any right to question the reasoning behind any of their decisions?

Well blimey, I hope we do!

Obviously few people agree with me.

But look at it from the other end. Let’s say you are interested in the Szmodics rumour. You Google his current clubs forum to see what the fans think of him and the rumour. It appears nobody is talking about it. Unknown to you, they are, but their discussions are hidden from non members. To me, that feels rather odd and disconcerting. And unnecessary.

37 minutes ago, phantom said:

It has been proven in the past that they were using OTIB.

I won't name the player (from Scotland) but a fake story was put on here in the past and it appeared in the local press

Remember at least a couple, from memory didn't we have a time when people were pretty much starting some rumours to see if the post would pick them up?

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Also don’t underestimate the amount of spam and junk we weed out from the forums, posters from other clubs obviously here to cause trouble and be abusive. Certain matches, transfer time and other times of these year ( school holidays) tend to be rife.

If we can protect certain parts of the forum and still be welcoming and open to all ( unlike our neighbours) then are we really doing that bad a job?

With respect, that doesn’t seem very logical. If you are weeding out stuff from fans of other clubs, then it means they have joined and could read and comment on the transfer rumours. I’m arguing for giving non-members “read only” access to the sub forum, when by definition they can’t cause problems. True?

3 hours ago, RedM said:

How do you know if you go on other forums that stuff isn’t hidden from view unless you register either? 

I don’t. See my question in post #19. Do Mods from different forums talk to each other about this stuff?

Archived