IGNORED

LJ on Sky Sports News

Lrrr

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Webster is our best player by some margin but I'm looking forward to watching Elliasson next season, there's something about the kid. Now he's familiar with the physical aspect of this division / country, he could be a absolute star given his pace and excellent delivery.

Semenyo has the tools and attributes to really step up next season too leading to the question do we really need an additional striker, costing an absolute wedge?

Quite agree. Elliasson showed in patches last season what potential he has and hopefully he’ll have a terrific season this time around.

Same with Semenyo and LJ has hinted that he could feature significantly and that might mean that City don’t sign another striker............:dunno:

If that’s the case it’d be a big mistake in my view.

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Quite agree. Elliasson showed in patches last season what potential he has and hopefully he’ll have a terrific season this time around.

Same with Semenyo and LJ has hinted that he could feature significantly and that might mean that City don’t sign another striker............:dunno:

If that’s the case it’d be a big mistake in my view.

Elliasson could be devastating next season playing off the right if everything goes according to plan.

agree re semenyo too, he might be fantastic. but at his age and experience, for us to give him the number 9 shirt and forget about any other strikers would be extremely risky.

46 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Did he say that exactly? I know “bold” was the key word, but that doesn’t necessarily mean spending fortunes.

In any event he was expressing his opinion not stating club policy. He went on to say that that was what he would put to the Board in his presentation.

I agree with many posters that a full pre season and Semenyo could be a star. Why should he be any different to Tammy who came to us from obscurity at Chelsea .  Forward area  I would not spend mega money and use that to capture Kalas and Desilva. And another in midfield 

With AW. FD MT and AS do we need another ? Unless one leaves 

I feel Eliasson would be phenomenal if we had someone like Djuric upfront.

I like Fam, but he isn't as good in the air as he should be for a guy his size.

A big striker would be knocking them in for fun with Eliasson's delivery.

14 minutes ago, Selred said:

Do you not think this could be Semenyo. He was raved  about by all the pundits when playing for Newport against higher teams.  And he looked awesome on the box. If Chelsea wanted to sign him tells a story 

16 minutes ago, Selred said:

Not necessarily even a big striker, the amount of whipped in balls a player like Gayle could get his foot on the end of 

In response to all previous quotes, I must have misinterpreted what Johnson said. I had believed that he would be ‘ambitious’ in his presentation to the board. That is obviously ambiguous but I was under the belief it meant that he believed this to be the season that we truly challenge and he intended to make a couple of signings that underlined this. ‘Ambitious’, to me, meant not just continuing with our youth policy but also underpinning this with hopefully a couple of big-ticket signings.

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

In terms of "announcing" how much cash we've got, we've already done that, haven't we? We sold a player for eight figures, and since we're yet to sign Da Silva or Kalas that money the squad requires investment. If we wanted to keep our cards close to our chest, we should've kept the Kelly deal silent until the window opened.

So much wrong with this paragraph....  *sigh*

Firstly we've announced no such thing.  We sold him to Bournemouth for an undisclosed fee.  Journalists believe that fee to be a deal in the region of £13m.  Further, no-one has stated how that speculated £13m is to be made up.  Could be that we only got £5m up front and the rest is performance based.

And as for keeping the deal silent until the transfer window opened, Kelly was announced as a Bournemouth player on the 18th May....  two days after the transfer window opened.

Besides that, spot on........

5 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

So much wrong with this paragraph....  *sigh*

Firstly we've announced no such thing.  We sold him to Bournemouth for an undisclosed fee.  Journalists believe that fee to be a deal in the region of £13m.  Further, no-one has stated how that speculated £13m is to be made up.  Could be that we only got £5m up front and the rest is performance based.

And as for keeping the deal silent until the transfer window opened, Kelly was announced as a Bournemouth player on the 18th May....  two days after the transfer window opened.

Besides that, spot on........

That's a really weird way of looking at it.

How do you think the journalists got that information? Threw a dart at a dartboard full of different transfer figures? Checked their pocket for change and multiplied by 100m? There are two sides to a transfer, and while we might have pushed for the deal to be undisclosed it's highly likely that the journalists are spot-on with the reported fee, because they've either been told by an agent, the player, or the clubs themselves - otherwise Bournemouth would be the first team to shout about it being inaccurate.

Feel free to disagree, but the facts stand: We sold a player for around £13m, and we're yet to do any substantial business, therefore we've got a bit of cash burning in our pocket.

8 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

How do you think the journalists got that information? Threw a dart at a dartboard full of different transfer figures? Checked their pocket for change and multiplied by 100m? There are two sides to a transfer, and while we might have pushed for the deal to be undisclosed it's highly likely that the journalists are spot-on with the reported fee, because they've either been told by an agent, the player, or the clubs themselves - otherwise Bournemouth would be the first team to shout about it being inaccurate.

Feel free to disagree, but the facts stand: We sold a player for around £13m, and we're yet to do any substantial business, therefore we've got a bit of cash burning in our pocket.

Not really.  You said we'd announced how much money we had.  We didn't.  Of course journalists have sources.  But to suggest we've said anything publicly about the transfer fee and also how much money we have available is plain wrong.

And you also ignore both the points that it's not been stated anywhere how much we received up front and also the dig at the club for announcing it outside of the transfer window - which again, we didn't.

1 minute ago, Steve Watts said:

Not really.  You said we'd announced how much money we had.  We didn't.  Of course journalists have sources.  But to suggest we've said anything publicly about the transfer fee and also how much money we have available is plain wrong.

And you also ignore both the points that it's not been stated anywhere how much we received up front and also the dig at the club for announcing it outside of the transfer window - which again, we didn't.

Additionally, last year we spent significantly less than we brought in. Other clubs have no reason to suppose therefore that we will spend every penny we bring in this year.

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Eliasson for me.

Webster is absolutely class, but "one to watch" almost always (for me) implies someone who's strong going forward.

Eliasson has all that's needed to make a big impact. Just needs a bit more composure.

For me he's one to watch because the attention is now on him, clubs have had a season to watch him playing for us and try to work out a weakness, ie will they press him quicker to not allow him time etc. 

If we're saying someone whose not quite there one to watch I'd say Max if he stays with us, if not then Walsh if we don't recruit in CM (though I think we will) 

3 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Do you not think this could be Semenyo. He was raved  about by all the pundits when playing for Newport against higher teams.  And he looked awesome on the box. If Chelsea wanted to sign him tells a story 

I want to see a lot more of Semenyo this season but believe it would be asking too much of him to spearhead a Championship campaign at his age.

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

That would be the assumption most selling clubs would have when dealing with us.

May be that money just helps us tick over for the season and isn’t just bunce.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I want to see a lot more of Semenyo this season but believe it would be asking too much of him to spearhead a Championship campaign at his age.

Yep, needs a good pre-season and can then play a “part”, but I’m not envisaging 35+ starts.

5 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

In response to all previous quotes, I must have misinterpreted what Johnson said. I had believed that he would be ‘ambitious’ in his presentation to the board. That is obviously ambiguous but I was under the belief it meant that he believed this to be the season that we truly challenge and he intended to make a couple of signings that underlined this. ‘Ambitious’, to me, meant not just continuing with our youth policy but also underpinning this with hopefully a couple of big-ticket signings.

He didn't use the word ambitious iirc. He expressed the view that we needed to be bold and, as you say, said he would put that to the Board.

He did not define bold and was not stating club policy. As far as I know MA has not talked about our transfer strategy and if he did it would be the usual non-committal stuff, and rightly so.

Of course LJ has now mentioned signings after1stJuly, which will be taken by some as a promise of guaranteed signings on that exact date.:shifty:

11 hours ago, hodge said:

Missed the start of it but says we will continue to go about the transfer window in 'the Bristol City way' so don't expect us to spends huge amounts in one window and has said we're wanting to build around Webster and reaffirms that we don't need to sell anybody given our financial position. Players back in on the 28th but have been in for a week or so over the summer as a check up to make sure their summer plans are going right.

What a climb down from what he said at the end of the season. The Bristol city way. Sell our best players and wait until the big boys have had who they want and see whose left.

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

What a climb down from what he said at the end of the season. The Bristol city way. Sell our best players and wait until the big boys have had who they want and see whose left.

If we have a summer of picking up players like Weimann and Webster permanently with players of Kalas and Dasilva's quality on loan then I'm all for it.

11 hours ago, hodge said:

May have worded it slightly badly but he essentially said we're not going to spend huge amounts 

However that depends on what Lee's interpretation of 'huge' (or whatever word) is

We’re not going to spend £100m that’s huge!!

Archived