IGNORED

Where there's a scarcity things cost more

southvillekiddy

Where there's a scarcity things cost more. (like petrol at the North Pole) We are in a foot-balling backwater. Please discuss.

If we are genuinely going to be bold in the transfer market and convince players, agents and the Footballing world that things have changed and  that Bristol City are serious about Premiership football we will have to pay over the odds to get the quality players we need

12 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Where there's a scarcity things cost more. (like petrol at the North Pole) We are in a foot-balling backwater. Please discuss.

If we are genuinely going to be bold in the transfer market and convince players, agents and the Footballing world that things have changed and  that Bristol City are serious about Premiership football we will have to pay over the odds to get the quality players we need

Pay over the odds we fall foul of ffp get points deducted and banned from signing players for 2 windows

discuss

14 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

The argument you've made is flawed at best.

Our location is irrelevant in terms of "scarcity". If the logic is simply supply and demand, then the driving factor behind a price increase would be a lack of players (in a certain position or otherwise) available on the market.

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Norwich won the league spending very little 

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It must be said that in the seventies in the First division we were one of the best payers.( source , amongst others Peter Cormack’s book ) 

I suppose this was to try and attract to our unfashionable club and an area where few footballers could join us without uprooting their families.

I can remember Joe Royle saying, in a Radio Bristol interview, that he had a pay rise when he left Manchester City to join us. The transfer policy worked, to a point, as we had Royle, Hunter, Cooper but at the same time average players were given 10 year contracts. The seventies was a missed opportunity as it was much easier to stay in the top flight in those days. 

I think the scarcity is the fabled too good for the championship, not good enough for the prem striker such as Gayle, Assombalogna (although hasn't been tested), Rhodes etc. I think you're gonna always have to offer around 12-15m to get a player of that calibre. 

Can't see us doing it though, Gayle has been apparently been linked to Stoke for 20m as well

We've got a flipping huge catchment area in the South West of the country with very little top level competition. Something like 8% of the population of England live in our region and we've got the best (?) accademy. We're now proving that training with us is a credible choice for the region's best young talent, and that there's a real route through to the very top. That won't win us trophies, but the point is that our geography brings advantages as well as disadvantages.

As for it being difficult to attract players who are already the finished article, we've got hell of an advantage over the North East. Or East Anglia. We're obviously no worse off than Cardiff or Swansea. The only areas that have got a geographic advantage over us I'd say are London and the North West. 

25 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Norwich won the league spending very little 

Good manager, good scouting, good tactics.

Great accessibility to London and Europe, lovely City, superb stadium and soon state-of-the-art training facilities, a Club on the up which is financially and administratively stable. 

No excuses. We are better placed now than most to attract top quality. 

Just need the management, scouts and coaches to deliver. Get these in alignment and we’ll be going places.

This season, maybe, is the one. If not, serious questions need to be asked as the ‘offer’ can’t get much better. 

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Where there's a scarcity things cost more. (like petrol at the North Pole)

Petrol in Greenland costs the equivalent of about 9p a litre. It is the country with perhaps the biggest remaining oil reserves. Oil exploration across the Arctic circle is increasing all the time. 

With all that said, I don't think we should really have to pay over the odds for our annual signing from either Barnsley or Preston.

This makes me think about something the Secret Footballer said about Sunderland a few years ago, which was that their problem was they paid over the odds to compensate for the fact players did not want to move to the North East and then struggled because they had a team of overpaid players and the players likely to join were ones who were motivated by money. 

Whilst I think it is true that we have a disadvantage over some of our rivals in that we're not seen as a conventionally big club and we're not from a region with footballing pedigree, I think the key is finding other ways to motivate players to join. The club's plan seems to be to get to a point where we can sell the club on:

1) The quality of our improved facilites

2) The enthusiasm of the manager

3) A track record of developing players who move onto Premier League football.

Throw in the fact that Bristol, unlike Sunderland, is a desirable area to live with good transport connections and I think these are better ways to sell the club than spending over the odds on wages. There will be times when we lose out to teams with a historical reputation or a more recent history of top flight football but I think attracting players by paying more sets us on a dangerous road. 

38 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The seventies was a missed opportunity as it was much easier to stay in the top flight in those days. 

Were there less team promoted and relegated or something?

I would imagine the odds of staying up in the seventies would be very similar to now.

2 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Your point is 15 years too late................We have, as someone else  has  alluded to:  A Great modern stadium, fantastic academy,  tremendous support,  young forward thinking manager, an increasing profile for developing young players and a billionaire benefactor.  Then.........A thriving modern city, International airport & Rail service, superb countryside and  a great theatre about to show "The Book of Mormon" (allow me that indulgence)   The fact that Kalas, Da Silva and Palmer were happy to come here, and most probably will return [Please], and Tammy Abraham also came onboard, shows that we have most definitely,  an ongoing credible profile.   I really don't think intelligent footballers [ surely they are the only ones worth recruiting?] will have any problem joining one of England's most progressive and ambitious football clubs............I Believe we will only have to pay the going rate for whoever we choose to recruit and NOT have to cough up some kind of Cider Surtax to persuade them to come to Backwoods Bristol.................it's a total anachronism............................COYR.

11 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Were there less team promoted and relegated or something?

I would imagine the odds of staying up in the seventies would be very similar to now.

Money, money, money. Today the gulf between the top teams in the league, in terms of transfer fees and salaries, and the teams in the bottom half of the league is enormous. In the seventies it was much closer, with teams such as City being able to pay competitive salaries and hence potentially attract good players, and hence potentially build a good team. Also, in the seventies, top players had earned relatively little during their career so had to keep playing as long as possible - eg England internationals Norman Hunter coming and Terry Cooper to City 

As a result of the different financial circumstances  teams promoted from Division 2 to Division 1 had a reasonable chance of avoiding relegation and staying in Division 1 for some time. “Small” teams such as QPR could be successful - e g they were Division 1 runners up in 75-76. Ipswich Town was one of the top teams in the 70s and 80s. Now apart from one fluke season by Leicester this doesn’t happen  

Today  there is a very chance that teams promoted from the Championship will come straight back down. 

"If you PAY THEM, they will come."

To mangle the Field of Dreams quote.

I imagine we lose out on some players due to geographical reasons but we probably gain from that too. But let's get real, if we offered the most money to a player, most of the time they'd come here.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Petrol in Greenland costs the equivalent of about 9p a litre. It is the country with perhaps the biggest remaining oil reserves. Oil exploration across the Arctic circle is increasing all the time. 

With all that said, I don't think we should really have to pay over the odds for our annual signing from either Barnsley or Preston.

I’m just on my way to fill the tank up .

‘Greenland ‘ entered in my GPS.

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Pay over the odds we fall foul of ffp get points deducted and banned from signing players for 2 windows

discuss

Avoided by name change to Bristol Villa/County. 

23 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I’m just on my way to fill the tank up .

‘Greenbank‘ entered in my GPS.

3 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

We're not a desirable club. We lack attraction/status, unlike other Championship clubs with previous Prem credentials or 'bigger' histories.

That said money talks. Just because we're in the West Country, it doesn't mean we can't sign anyone if the figures are right.

8 hours ago, Monkeh said:

discuss

Ascerbic. FFP seems to mean little to Man City. With a clever lawyer (SL must know one) there's a way round anything if you are wealthy.

Well everybody we will find out quite soon if Lee overstepped the mark in using the B word. Hope he has the guts to demand it.  He has the right to given his success over the last two seasons.

That old location chestnut, what a load of bullocks. 90 mins from the capital, 60 mins from the second city, third biggest airport in the England and Wales outside London with flights to any imaginable place in Europe. A damn sight closer to everywhere of importance than Cardiff, Swansea, Sunderland, Newcastle, Boro even throw in the South coast clubs who arent exactly around the corner from London.

20 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Say what?

13 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

That old location chestnut, what a load of bullocks. 90 mins from the capital, 60 mins from the second city, third biggest airport in the England and Wales outside London with flights to any imaginable place in Europe. A damn sight closer to everywhere of importance than Cardiff, Swansea, Sunderland, Newcastle, Boro even throw in the South coast clubs who arent exactly around the corner from London.

So please tell me why we aren't in the Premiership as all those teams you list have been or are?

19 hours ago, Undy English said:

We're not a desirable club. We lack attraction/status, unlike other Championship clubs with previous Prem credentials or 'bigger' histories.

That said money talks. Just because we're in the West Country, it doesn't mean we can't sign anyone if the figures are right.

Agree with you mate. What is the Club doing to change our current profile

11 hours ago, Chappers said:

Another feeble attempt at justifying blowing heaps of money on players, with no guarantees whatsoever.

It's not just the players though is it mate. You don't get the proven quality players unless the whole Club set-up is attractive.While we're talking about feebleness, it's 40 years since we had the equivalent of Premiership football. Can you explain why this is?

Archived