IGNORED

Who is the better player, Weimann or Reid?

Monkeh

7 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Ok, I’ll bite.

Weimann’s only a year older. Who’s had the better career? AW has played for Villa, Watford, Wolves, Derby and us. He has scored a total of 41 goals in 270 appearances and has 14 caps for his country.

Reid has scored 34 goals in 203 appearances and has turned out for us, Cardiff, Plymouth, Cheltenham and Oldham.

I’m possibly being slightly facetious here, but Weimann has spent his career in the top two levels, whilst Reid spent a fair whack of time in League One or lower and only really hit it off for one, arguably two, seasons. 

It’s not absurd for people to think AW is at least in a similar bracket to BR. Play AW in the same role BR played during his hot season and I reckon he’d score similar numbers.

No contest.

Reid better :laughcont:

2 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I’d be interested to see their stats next season, both playing in the same division. Not sure it’s as clear cut as many seem to think.

Really? Bobby absolutely different level to Weimann imo. Look at the price tags and teams interested last summer. Look at the goals. Look how brilliant Reid is on the ball and how not so brilliant Weimann is on the ball.

I don’t think it’s clear cut either.  But it’s very difficult to compare like for like.  Reid played all 17/18 as a striker (9, 9 1/2).  Weimann played more games as a RW than a 9.  His record as a 9 was pretty decent.

Both players had good energy.

We played different styles of football too from one season to the next.

Was Reid a one season wonder?  Personally I don’t think so.  But would LJ have played him out wide too as a sacrifice to the system.

Apples and Pears, despite being similar types.

53 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Really? Bobby absolutely different level to Weimann imo. Look at the price tags and teams interested last summer. Look at the goals. Look how brilliant Reid is on the ball and how not so brilliant Weimann is on the ball.

He’s quite good at chasing after his mis-control and making look like he presses and harries opponents. Or running blindly into a group of defenders. And his final ball is terrible. But other than that he’s great. 

18 minutes ago, Redbo said:

He’s quite good at chasing after his mis-control and making look like he presses and harries opponents. Or running blindly into a group of defenders. And his final ball is terrible. But other than that he’s great. 

He does mis contol it a lot. I think he's a decent squad player. Always fit, can play in a number of positions and always works hard for the team. But he is a frustrating player when on the wing, certainly in home games.

2 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Ok, I’ll bite.

Weimann’s only a year older. Who’s had the better career? AW has played for Villa, Watford, Wolves, Derby and us. He has scored a total of 41 goals in 270 appearances and has 14 caps for his country.

Reid has scored 34 goals in 203 appearances and has turned out for us, Cardiff, Plymouth, Cheltenham and Oldham.

I’m possibly being slightly facetious here, but Weimann has spent his career in the top two levels, whilst Reid spent a fair whack of time in League One or lower and only really hit it off for one, arguably two, seasons. 

It’s not absurd for people to think AW is at least in a similar bracket to BR. Play AW in the same role BR played during his hot season and I reckon he’d score similar numbers.

Not bad for a winger ... 

7 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Weinman Twice the player Reid is,

I agree with you - Weimann has played over 300 games and has only ever played in the top two divisions in this country.

Reid has had one good season and has played more games in league two than the premier league - before his one-off good season with us Reid had never scored more than 3 goals in a season and he had only scored 6 goals in 63 championship appearances. If Reid wasn’t a Bristolian, or hadn’t played for us, there is no way people would be saying he was better than Weimann ...

2 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Ok, I’ll bite.

You should know better than to allow actual facts get in the way on otib Dastardly. Better to let people believe that Reid is/was better than Wieman...............:disapointed2se:...............:sleeping:............

23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree with you - Weimann has played over 300 games and has only ever played in the top two divisions in this country.

Reid has had one good season and has played more games in league two than the premier league - before his one-off good season with us Reid had never scored more than 3 goals in a season and he had only scored 6 goals in 63 championship appearances. If Reid wasn’t a Bristolian, or hadn’t played for us, there is no way people would be saying he was better than Weimann ...

Why do you find this ‘hilarious’ @Sturny ? Genuinely interested - Reid has had one good season - if we’d signed him before that with a record goals tally of 3 in a season and a track record of playing during 5 seasons in the bottom two divisions, would you have been delighted? Weimann has never dropped to the depths - he’s only played at the top in this country - and has played around 130 games for a premier league club. He was on fire for us at the start of last season - scoring for fun. Then Fammy was brought back in after his ban ended and Weimann was shoved out to the wing - and he still ended up with a decent goals tally. What might have been had we left him up front after he notched 5 in the the first 5 games of 2018/2019 ... ?

Why the ***k has this thread turned into a debate about Reid and Weimann?

Who gives a flying ***k? 

Robbored... the number of threads you post 'who cares' on.. 

Nobody clicking on this thread cares about this. 

In fact, why don't we just have a pinned thread for everyone that wants to be trolled by you?

6 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Who gives a flying ***k? 

Robbored... the number of threads you post 'who cares' on.. 

Nobody clicking on this thread cares about this. 

In fact, why don't we just have a pinned thread for everyone that wants to be trolled by you?

Robbored only ever goes in the transfer forum accidentally (his words), yet he has opted in to 'follow' this thread.

I know this is a thread about Webster. But back to the Reid thing. If Weimann is similar to Reid as a striker or better then surely we have the answer in Weimann up top?

But he went 13 games without scoring up front and looked very poor after a good start. So he got pushed out wide like he has by every manager he has ever had.

6 hours ago, Superjack said:

Who gives a flying ***k? 

Fair play mate!

What we need is another suggestion about a player that’s never going to sign for us. I just love reading those!!!

9 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Ok, I’ll bite.

Weimann has only ever moved downwards in his career and as much as I like the bloke I really doubt his next move is upwards.

Reid has only moved upwards and is certainly more likely of the two to play PL football again. 

Comparing Reids stats when he was a lightweight untrusted CM is not really the right comparison. Since July 2017 the guy has exploded and even a 1 in 5 goal ratio last season (how many sub I wonder) whilst again not playing in his best position is pretty good.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Weimann has only ever moved downwards in his career and as much as I like the bloke I really doubt his next move is upwards.

Reid has only moved upwards and is certainly more likely of the two to play PL football again. 

Comparing Reids stats when he was a lightweight untrusted CM is not really the right comparison. Since July 2017 the guy has exploded and even a 1 in 5 goal ratio last season (how many sub I wonder) whilst again not playing in his best position is pretty good.

I doubt Reid will play in the PL again unless Cardiff get promoted back up. I can’t see any other PL club signing him.

2 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Indeed and losing Reid's goals cost us a playoff place.

Like his goals got us a playoff place the season before?

or Kodjis goals got us one?

or Tammy’s Goals got us one?

oh wait they didn’t what did happen is an improvement on points total and league finish

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Like his goals got us a playoff place the season before?

or Kodak’s goals got us one?

or Tammy’s Goals got us one?

oh wait they didn’t what did happen is an improvement on points total and league finish

Look, I accept we need to sell players and I appreciate the model that we have. We've already sold Kelly this season, and we are not guaranteed to get Kalas and Da Silva back. This is one of those times where we just have to say no to whatever bid we receive. I'm not debating this with you, I've got other things to do.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

But we still finished higher in the league than when he was with us.

I'm confused.

No you aren't, you know exactly what I mean. As I said to Monkeh, I'm busy and not up for a debate. We cannot sell Webster after losing Kelly, and possibly Da Silva and Kalas.

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I doubt Reid will play in the PL again unless Cardiff get promoted back up. I can’t see any other PL club signing him.

I think he could slot into a more fluid style. One option, Wolves? Given he can go back and forth- sometimes it isn't just about the "best" or "biggest" player but the best fit.

With their style I think he could well be a more natural fit than Tammy e.g.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I know this is a thread about Webster. But back to the Reid thing. If Weimann is similar to Reid as a striker or better then surely we have the answer in Weimann up top?

But he went 13 games without scoring up front and looked very poor after a good start. So he got pushed out wide like he has by every manager he has ever had.

I'll have to look back at each game and see his position for the goalless run. He had 4 goals disallowed last year, and he can bring assists to the table which is important for a striker- he brought 4 or 5 IIRC.His great early runs during some of our bad spells weren't necessarily found by his teammates- that's not on him, as had he been his goals ratio may look better.

Interestingly though, his disallowed goals vs Derby, Nottingham Forest and Swansea all came during the time he was wider. So too did his allowed goal v Swansea, and the assists v Norwich, Nottingham Forest and Swansea.

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

But we still finished higher in the league than when he was with us.

I'm confused.

Yes but the point was, with Reid we may of made the play offs. 

We finished higher, but that wasn't due to losing Reid was it. He wasn't detrimental to our success.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Yes but the point was, with Reid we may of made the play offs. 

We finished higher, but that wasn't due to losing Reid was it. He wasn't detrimental to our success.

Or we might not have made the play offs, and were 10mil down on the FFP sketch.

Reality is, players come and go and if LJ and MA have players in mind to replace every position, we shouldn't worry too much.

25 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Or we might not have made the play offs, and were 10mil down on the FFP sketch.

Reality is, players come and go and if LJ and MA have players in mind to replace every position, we shouldn't worry too much.

If buying ideal players is that easy we better win the bloody league next season!

10 hours ago, JonDolman said:

When did he go 13 games playing up front without scoring? He was pushed out wide after 6 games when Diedhiou came back in and Taylor was playing as well ...

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

When did he go 13 games playing up front without scoring? He was pushed out wide after 6 games when Diedhiou came back in and Taylor was playing as well ...

You can't be watching very closely if you thought he was playing wide right against Sheffield United, WBA and so on for 13 games after the first 6. He basically played 19 games as a centre forward before being moved out wide  right against Millwall.

He was missing chances in those 13 games without a goal that he should have been putting away. At the time it was the right decision imo.

Archived