IGNORED

Who is the better player, Weimann or Reid?

Monkeh

I don't actually give a s**t.

But I thought I would start this. Then the Adam Webster thread on the Transfer Forum can maybe return to its original ****ing purpose. 

Mods: Feel free to move this to Football Chat where the whole debate should have been in the first place...

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

When did he go 13 games playing up front without scoring? He was pushed out wide after 6 games when Diedhiou came back in and Taylor was playing as well ...

He even played Marley Watkins as the striker v Boro at home early last season, but in the main I agree with @JonDolman.  But I think he played as a central forward (as opposed to out and out striker) during that barren spell after Famara returned.  They ought to have been a good pairing but I don’t think they hit it off.  It almost corresponded with Pack going deeper, so Weimann lost his passes down the sides or in behind for his clever runs.

I personally think had Weimann played striker all season, whether that be alongside Fam, or on his own with a no10, he would’ve got over 15 goals last season.  That would’ve been a good haul for £2m signing.

29 minutes ago, Superjack said:

But I thought I would start this. Then the Adam Webster thread on the Transfer Forum can maybe return to its original ****ing purpose. 

Mods: Feel free to move this to Football Chat where the whole debate should have been in the first place...

You might not care but some on here actually go to bed dreaming about this very topic. 

19 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Weimann, better goal scoring record than Reid and spent most his career at international level.

edit: I meant top level as in premier league, not international level! As opposed to the one season wonder

I’d swap them though! 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He even played Marley Watkins as the striker v Boro at home early last season, but in the main I agree with @JonDolman.  But I think he played as a central forward (as opposed to out and out striker) during that barren spell after Famara returned.  They ought to have been a good pairing but I don’t think they hit it off.  It almost corresponded with Pack going deeper, so Weimann lost his passes down the sides or in behind for his clever runs.

I personally think had Weimann played striker all season, whether that be alongside Fam, or on his own with a no10, he would’ve got over 15 goals last season.  That would’ve been a good haul for £2m signing.

Weimann did not work with Watkins in that one game because neither is a link player. Same reason him and Fam doesn't work. Paterson is a link player, but the problem with that partnership is that Weimann is often too isolated and cannot rotate with Paterson so much, as Paterson is really not a threat when finding himself in the number 9 position, or more like he never gets into that position. I think it was one game where Weimann was isolated with Paterson drifting so much, the ball just wasn't sticking up top.

I think Weimann's only success through the middle came alongside Taylor. But then a problem with Weimann up top whoever he played with is his finishing last season became so erratic after that great start. He can't go on long spells of missing chances if he is playing up top, but on the wing we don't rely on his goals so much.

I remember the Brentford away game, where he still played up top with Taylor even though Diedhiou was available and on the bench. I think if I remember rightly he skied one great chance and then had another simple close range effort and blasted it straight at Bentley. He went from placing shots when confident, to blasting everything with his laces with no direction. Just a simple technique thing that he gets wrong because his confidence is gone.

A lot of our best results were away from home with Fam on his own and Weimann and O'Dowda offering plenty of pace on the flanks and on the break, plus brilliant defensive work that helped us become so hard to score against. Of course defending is not all down to the back 5, we defended excellently as a team in that run. 

So I think Weimann's role wide right has been a little bit underestimated, as there were some good performances away from home. But overall he is not a winger, and even in some of our wins I thought he struggled in the wide position.

So the type of striker he maybe needs if he is to play central is Matty Taylor. Is Taylor good enough? Well to push us on i'm not so sure he is. But it's a good indicator of the type of player Weimann would need to be his partner in a 442.

I'd describe Taylor as a 9.5 type. Is a hard working striker with great movement, but he is also a link player. That is what Weimann needs, not an attacking midfielder who is not getting in the box like Paterson, but a proper strike partner.

Who is a better number 9.5 version of Taylor? Bobby Reid. If we had Bobby here i'd be well up for him and Weimann as a pair. Sadly that is not an option. Could Palmer be bought and turned into more of an attacker to play up there with Weimann? Maybe that's a plan, but i'd guess Diedhiou is still going to be the main man.

@JonDolman lots to agree with there especially home v away stuff.  You’re right about Pato, rarely runs in behind (if ever).  If we can go back to a more condensed shape (back to front), Palmer (for example) would be closer to Weimann by default, able to find pockets but also run in behind, e.g. able to swap to drag markers around.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@JonDolman lots to agree with there especially home v away stuff.  You’re right about Pato, rarely runs in behind (if ever).  If we can go back to a more condensed shape (back to front), Palmer (for example) would be closer to Weimann by default, able to find pockets but also run in behind, e.g. able to swap to drag markers around.

Agree. And Palmer has the physical attributes to cope further forward much better than Pato.

Crap, only just realised this is on Webster thread and I had made a Weimann thread earlier to avoid this!

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. And Palmer has the physical attributes to cope further forward much better than Pato.

Crap, only just realised this is on Webster thread and I had made a Weimann thread earlier to avoid this!

Hypocrite ???

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

You can't be watching very closely if you thought he was playing wide right against Sheffield United, WBA and so on for 13 games after the first 6. He basically played 19 games as a centre forward before being moved out wide  right against Millwall.

He was missing chances in those 13 games without a goal that he should have been putting away. At the time it was the right decision imo.

Cheers for the reply - but equally (and with all due respect) you can’t have been watching too closely either - Weimann didn’t play in all of the first 19 games of last season, for example, I can remember he didn’t feature at all against Stoke City at home and he also came on as sub with around 20 minutes remaining in a few other games - so he didn’t play 19 games as a centre forward  - but anyway, it doesn’t really matter right now I suppose. I do think though, that after his fine start he would have scored at least 15 goals if he’d stayed as an out and out striker for the season. But, no worries, we weren’t relegated, and next season beckons!

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cheers for the reply - but equally (and with all due respect) you can’t have been watching too closely either - Weimann didn’t play in all of the first 19 games of last season, for example, I can remember he didn’t feature at all against Stoke City at home and he also came on as sub with around 20 minutes remaining in a few other games - so he didn’t play 19 games as a centre forward  - but anyway, it doesn’t really matter right now I suppose. I do think though, that after his fine start he would have scored at least 15 goals if he’d stayed as an out and out striker for the season. But, no worries, we weren’t relegated, and next season beckons!

I know he was an unused sub against Stoke. I meant his first 19 games.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I know he was an unused sub against Stoke. I meant his first 19 games.

Yet you said he played 19 games as a centre forward before being pushed out wide against Millwall - which was our 20th game. So you didn’t mean ‘his first 19 games’ ... because if he was pushed out to the wing against Millwall he didn’t play his first 19 games as a centre forward 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yet you said he played 19 games as a centre forward before being pushed out wide against Millwall - which was our 20th game. So you didn’t mean ‘his first 19 games’ ...

Sorry but what are you on about? I said his first 19 games he played as centre forward. HIS first, not City's first 20 games.

Why would I bother to say he played 19 of 20 of City's games as centre forward, but one of them he didn't play. What would be the purpose of that?

My point is he played every one or his first 19 games as a striker.

You thought he played 6 games as striker.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Sorry but what are you on about? I said his first 19 games he played as centre forward. HIS first, not City's first 20 games.

Why would I bother to say he played 19 of 20 of City's games as centre forward, but one of them he didn't play. What would be the purpose of that?

My point is he played every one or his first 19 games as a striker.

You thought he played 6 games as striker.

This is probably turning into a ridiculous conversation JD - but you said he played 19 games as centre forward before being shunted out wide against Millwall.

Millwall was our 20th game, so you obviously thought he played our first 19 games of the season as a centre forward before being put out wide in our 20th game - but he didn’t play in all of the first 19 games of the season and if, as you say, he was out wide from Millwall onwards, then he didn’t play 19 games as a centre forward last season - it’s not that difficult to understand. But it really doesn’t matter too much does it ...

5 hours ago, Superjack said:

Strange to start a thread when you ‘don’t actually give a shit’ - but I’ll bite - Weimann has only ever played in the top two tiers in England - including around 130 games for a premier league club.

Bobby Reid has played more games in league two than he has in the premier league - it’s laughable that there is even a debate - Weimann is a proven player - Bobby Reid has only had one good season in his entire career ... and we got £10m for his services - Wahey! 

Andreas Weimann is a fine player - proven over a career, he hasn’t just relied on one season to enhance his reputation ...

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This is probably turning into a ridiculous conversation JD - but you said he played 19 games as centre forward before being shunted out wide against Millwall.

Millwall was our 20th game, so you obviously thought he played our first 19 games of the season as a centre forward before being put out wide in our 20th game - but he didn’t play in all of the first 19 games of the season and if, as you say, he was out wide from Millwall onwards, then he didn’t play 19 games as a centre forward last season - it’s not that difficult to understand. But it really doesn’t matter too much does it ...

He did play HIS first 19 games as centre forward though. I do understand as I know he didn't play against Stoke. I never once said he played in all of City's first 19 games. 

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Let’s see who has the better season next season. It will definitely be Reid by the way. 

Loads of people said if we had Reid last season we would have reached play offs and we missed him a lot. 

Like we reached the playoffs when we had him you mean?

28 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Last season we had a better team which Reid would have continued to flourish in. He was what we were missing. 

Still doesn’t mean we would of gone up,

we’ve had a 20 goal a season for 3 out of our 4 seasons in the championship

2 of those we only just avoided relegation the other we didn’t finish in the top 10

20 goal a season striker (which Reid isn’t he’s only broke double figure once in his career ie one season wonder)

Doesn’t mean you will get a play of place it not even important 

the most important thing for a team chasing promotion is it’s defence,

a solid back line and a good goal keeper,

our defence was decent last season and solid for 3/4 of the season but we still made the same basic mistakes,

ie the midfield not tracking back, backing off and not putting tackles in

Archived