IGNORED

Football in Berlin

Mark barton

I was in Berlin 3/4 years ago, just walked up to the Olympicstadium and walked around free of charge. although it was a weekday.

Union would be a better atmos but as they are now bundesliga might be hard to source tickets

I almost went there once, did all the research but in the end, went to Munich v  Bremen. 

Berlin... cheap tickets, great stadium, close to the city and Tegel airport (you can only fly to Schonfield from BRS)

look at the club website. You can get a view from the seat you have selected. I seem to remember tickets started at €15.

I went about ten years ago, it was ace although the game was awful. Stadium is easy to get to from the U bahn, on the walk from the station there were loads of supporters clubs selling beer and sausages at dirt cheap prices. 

The stadium is amazing, has loads of history from the 36 olympics so is worth having a wander around before the game if you go. Would be unlikely the crowd would be more than half full but the German fans who do go are great. Berlin as a city is fantastic, culturally it a great and also the night life is brilliant too. 

2 hours ago, Mark barton said:

So obviously the thread has a football theme. Thinking of going to Berlin to watch Hertha Berlin as anyone done this trip and if so can you offer any tips.

Herta - a great day out.

Have a beer and kielbasa on the walk to the ground from the station and marvel at the fans who bring their own bars with them.

Unless it's a massive game buy a cheaper seat (2nd lowest class) toward the curve then move into a better seat once the game starts as nobody seems to check. Most fans don't move as they sit and drink with their mates.

If you're taking a youngster allow them to run around at the end collecting the glasses nobody can be bothered to return as you can easily pay for the fixture from the returned deposits.

2 hours ago, Mark barton said:

So obviously the thread has a football theme. Thinking of going to Berlin to watch Hertha Berlin as anyone done this trip and if so can you offer any tips.

Yep did it a couple of years ago vs Borussia Dortmund. Amazing atmosphere, beer in the ground, historical and beautiful stadium and surrounds (although obviously not for great reasons but still really interesting and great architecture), free transport on the day of the game with your ticket and of course the City itself which is fantastic. We’re doing it again hopefully this year.   

3 hours ago, Mark barton said:

Yes, did it on my stag weekend in 2004.  Hertha v Stuttgart when Stuttgart had Arsenal’s Hleb, and Hertha had ex-Bolton striker Fredi Bobic.

Was about €7 a ticket....big old concrete stadium.

Berlin is a great City.  If you’re over there, do the bus tour....we did it on day 4 when we were fed up of 3 days of beer and sausages (and KFC too!).

We stayed in a youth hostel type place near the bombed cathedral.

Lived there for 2 years. Moving back to Bristol in 2 weeks.

best atmosphere is Union Berlin, they literally built the club. Now in the Bundesliga.

problem with Hertha is the stadium is too big, it is empty all the time until Bayern or Dortmund play. 

Berliner Dynamo are an ex stasi team who are the only GDR team still playing (maybe alongside dynamo Dresden) - strange fans and a weird atmosphere but a sort of wrong on community which is decent for ground hopping.

tennis Berlin are another team, pretty good for a day out to watch some shit tier football and enjoy a beer and a brautwurst

leipzig isn’t too far away if you fancy a day trip, that’ll be the best quality football you’ll see.

you can get tickets for Hertha and Berliner Dynamo at the ground on the day, for Leipzig and Union Berlin you’ll have to get tickets in advance or go into a website called EBay kleinanzeigen (eBay small advertisements) and search for some tickets - usually they’re being sold there.

As far as drinking goes it’s socially acceptable to just drink some bottles of beer on the street (I’m a big fan of Berliner pilsner), bars are hard to find near the Hertha stadium so I’d start near Hauptbahnhof then get the train across. 

Beer can be taken in and around stadiums too. Good bars I like are monkey bar which is near KaDawe and Kufurstendamm (missing umlauts) and all the weird and wonderful bars and clubs around warschauer strasse

Transport to and from Herthas stadium and Berliner dynamos stadium is easy, u Bahn to either the west or Berlin or Prenzlauer Berg, union requires a change in trains

enjoy berlin, I am a big fan, despite moving back to Bristol next month.

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

I went about ten years ago, it was ace although the game was awful. Stadium is easy to get to from the U bahn, on the walk from the station there were loads of supporters clubs selling beer and sausages at dirt cheap prices. 

The stadium is amazing, has loads of history from the 36 olympics so is worth having a wander around before the game if you go. Would be unlikely the crowd would be more than half full but the German fans who do go are great. Berlin as a city is fantastic, culturally it a great and also the night life is brilliant too. 

I also went there for Hertha v Mainz. 58,000, no trouble, €15 ticket, beer normal prices and crowd cleared after the game within 30 minutes by U-bahn.

Went to Berlin for other reasons earlier this year (better half was running her first half marathon there - awesome stuff, finishes on running track at the Olympic Stadium).

Can only echo what others have said - fantastic city and really easy to navigate - pretty cheap too. If you’re flying from Bristol and into Schönefeld then there is a train station on site where 3-4 euros will get you into the centre of Berlin and takes about 35 minutes so don’t let flying into there be a barrier.

We stayed just outside Spandau (which has a Woolworths?!), one stop from the Olympic Stadium and could be at the stadium in five minutes - really good 4* hotel about 50 euro a night. Beer freely available and well priced. Found a very welcome bar (Johnny’s) where they feed you steins and Caribbean liquor which is situated right next to Hitlers bunker (now a car park...)

In short, do it. Outside of the football which I’ll definitely do next time over it’s a great city which I’d totally recommend 

I am very interested in all things World War Two and did a War Walk around the City back in 2006. The tour ended up at the mound which is Hitler's bunker, as Silvio above mentioned. There are plenty of these walks available.

If you are interested in this period of history, check out the Museum in the Binderblock, Stauffenbergstrasse which is off the Tiergarten (the park in the centre of Berlin). Klaus Von Stauffenberg is one of my heroes and you can find out more about him and the White Rose Movement (well known in Germany but nowhere else)  here...

https://www.gdw-berlin.de/home/

I was particularly impressed by the fact that all the WW2 buildings of note are available to see but they haven't publicised them with Brown tourist road signs. Information is often available but low key. It make sense when you're there.

We were there for a World Cup match and endured Brazil vs Croatia. The war walk and museum will always stay with me!

7 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Klaus Von Stauffenberg is one of my heroes and you can find out more about him and the White Rose Movement (well known in Germany but nowhere else)  here...

I imagine you have seen the films 'The White Rose' and 'Sophie Scholl - The Final Days'; both quite harrowing.

There is a very interesting 'museum tour' in Berlin, outlining life in Berlin during WW11, but I cannot for the life of me recall what it is called. 

Hi Phil,

No I haven't seen the film. I knew at least one had been made. However, I avoid subtitled films like the plague as my wife is registered blind. This means that any subtitled films requires me to read them out. I subsequently miss what's going on. Even if my wife says I have the narrating skills of Richard Burton, I wouldn't do it. BTW, Mrs Norn hasn't and I haven't!

Archived