IGNORED

Luke Freeman to Sheff Utd (Merged)

CyderInACan

I thought that LF was the best player in our League One Promotion team yet struggled to make an impact for us in the Championship.

Since moving to QPR he’s proved himself to be the best player in a very ordinary team yet he’s still to truly take the Championship by storm. 

I just can’t see him as a Premier League player. I hope for his sake that I’m wrong. 

22 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

£4m according to Alan Nixon on twitter. We must have a sell on so hopefully some more cash coming our way. 

Good for him, if it happens. Always liked Luke and didn't understand the vitriol from some of our supporters 

I thought he's be off this summer. Surprised it's to a prem side. But I guess he could fit in nicely in their midfield.

Sold him for hundred or more thousand wasn't it? Surely about 20% sell on of profit. Maybe 700 odd thousand to us? Or maybe it's more of a percentage because we sold so cheap.

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Good for him, if it happens. Always liked Luke and didn't understand the vitriol from some of our supporters 

Yep. Worked his absolute socks off for us. And was outstanding in our promotion season. And he has said since that he didn't want to leave, though at the time LJ wanted to keep him so not sure who to believe there.

Even if he did want to leave then can't really blame him, he is from London and a lot of our fans didn't seem to like him. Hope he does well if he gets this move. 

Smart move though. This is how teams should operate when going up the first time. Buy some young players and the best champ players so when you go down you in position to go back up stronger. Sheff U need to do this more than most as they were very reliant on plder players and loans. Can only bring in 2 domestic loans so need to buy while they have the funds. 

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Squad player for Sheff Utd surely. Can't see him being bought to start every game. Great for us in L1, good for QPR in the Champ, in the Prem he'll be a sub and cover the cup games.

According to some Blades fans on Twitter, they say it’ll be as a no10 if there are any truth in the rumours....so will be up against Marc Duffy (33).

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

According to some Blades fans on Twitter, they say it’ll be as a no10 if there are any truth in the rumours....so will be up against Marc Duffy (33).

Well good luck to him if the deal happens. Hope he gets his run out at the Emirates, would mean something to him I'm sure.

Can't help but feel he'll emulate Reid's premier league season though. In and out of the team, couple of stand out games but really not much to write home about. 

21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. Worked his absolute socks off for us. And was outstanding in our promotion season. And he has said since that he didn't want to leave, though at the time LJ wanted to keep him so not sure who to believe there.

Even if he did want to leave then can't really blame him, he is from London and a lot of our fans didn't seem to like him. Hope he does well if he gets this move. 

You can understand him wanting to move to the Blades  seeing as his family’s from London .

:yes:

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Freeman playing in the premier league? think they will be dead certs to go down.

Even if they end up being relegated I don’t think it could be solely laid at the door of Freeman, others would have to be involved. I have doubts about his quality for the Premiership but plenty of others have proven me wrong in the past. Sheffield United are dangerous from set pieces and the quality of delivery LF could provide will only make them more so. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Even if they end up being relegated I don’t think it could be solely laid at the door of Freeman, others would have to be involved. I have doubts about his quality for the Premiership but plenty of others have proven me wrong in the past. Sheffield United are dangerous from set pieces and the quality of delivery LF could provide will only make them more so. 

Well clearly its a team effort. But he's bang average in the championship let alone the prem. If thats the level of player they are going for, my money is on them going down. Probably bottom.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

The vitriol from some of our supporters stems from his refusal to play in the cup at Burnely.  Want to leave?  Not a problem.  Refuse to play?  Become a villain.  Same thing for Kodjia (who literally became a Villain!).

He was excellent for us in the promotion year but undoubtedly struggled with the step up.  By the end of his time with us he was beginning to show some signs of improvement.  But for the first 14/15 months of his Championship career with us he essentially got the ball, tried 48 step overs and eventually fell over his own feet.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

The vitriol from some of our supporters stems from his refusal to play in the cup at Burnely.  Want to leave?  Not a problem.  Refuse to play?  Become a villain.  Same thing for Kodjia (who literally became a Villain!).

He was excellent for us in the promotion year but undoubtedly struggled with the step up.  By the end of his time with us he was beginning to show some signs of improvement.  But for the first 14/15 months of his Championship career with us he essentially got the ball, tried 48 step overs and eventually fell over his own feet.

Spot on, by all means say you want to leave, but never refuse to play. Ask to be benched and used in an emergency if you don't want to be cup tied by all means, but flat out refusal just makes you look a bit of a knob.

I liked Freeman, good player but for us in the system we were playing at the time, not solid or consistant enough.

Tony Thorpe made it abundantly clear he wanted to leave, albeit at the end of his contract, but, as far as I can remember, still gave it his all.

Good luck to him. Probably at his peak now. £4m very cheap for the prem and may just surprise a few. May just get that fraction more time in the prem which could help him. I can’t feel anything but love for that double team... but that could be the cider talking 

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

Well clearly its a team effort. But he's bang average in the championship let alone the prem. If thats the level of player they are going for, my money is on them going down. Probably bottom.

No doubt you're right and Wilder doesn't have a clue. ??

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

All jokes aside, us city fans will probably have seen more of freeman than wilder and he wouldn’t get in our squad.

2 hours ago, Dunc said:

Good luck to him. Probably at his peak now. £4m very cheap for the prem and may just surprise a few. May just get that fraction more time in the prem which could help him. I can’t feel anything but love for that double team... but that could be the cider talking 

Not just the cider. This lad has always been a good player and one who gets better if quality players are around him. I reckon SUFC will struggle but there are teams (Bmuff) which can surprise. The Blades are a great club and you never know they could be a match in heaven for Freeman. Need to get water carriers around him tho. 

8 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Well as i stated recently in a thread I am good mates with a member of his wifes family.

From what he told me LF had many offers elsewhere way before he left but LJ promised him that he would be featuring more and that he will be given a better contract and so persuaded him to stay. Now I can't exactly remember how he was performing for us at that time or how often he was playing.

At some point this "contract offer" was redacted and his performances at the time were not to LJ's level.  but LF gave an ultimatum and LJ made plans for a team without him. The cup game was an insult to him because LJ just wanted to rest players and throw him in.

Not entirely sure how accurate that is but its from someone who has known him for years. He first met him when he was at Arsenal academy.

6 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

The cup game was an insult to him because LJ just wanted to rest players and throw him in.

If playing in a cup match is an insult, Freeman should work with the rest of us for a day!!

He had talent but very rarely an end product. You could sense the frustration from the fans and I think that fed into LJ's view of him.

12 hours ago, Leveller said:

From what I’ve seen of Wilder I’d say he knows what he’s on about. He’s seems good at getting the best out of his players and he’s a successful manager. 

All the best to Freeman, he was an important part of our promotion winning team and I enjoyed watching him play that season. 

17 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Squad player for Sheff Utd surely. Can't see him being bought to start every game. Great for us in L1, good for QPR in the Champ, in the Prem he'll be a sub and cover the cup games.

Leave it to Wilder, he knows a lot more about players  and football than you do. I didn’t think much of McGoldrick in all honesty but helped them gain promotion. 

1 hour ago, swanker said:

From what I’ve seen of Wilder I’d say he knows what he’s on about. He’s seems good at getting the best out of his players and he’s a successful manager. 

All the best to Freeman, he was an important part of our promotion winning team and I enjoyed watching him play that season. 

Indeed. Did my sarcasm not come over?

1 hour ago, Xiled said:

If playing in a cup match is an insult, Freeman should work with the rest of us for a day!!

He had talent but very rarely an end product. You could sense the frustration from the fans and I think that fed into LJ's view of him.

Paterson! Comes to mind instantly, would rather see the old LF in red!

3 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Paterson! Comes to mind instantly, would rather see the old LF in red!

Paterson is much better defensively than Freeman.

I'm very shocked someone in professional football thinks he is PL standard but he might just fit Sheff Utd's unique way of playing.

Archived