IGNORED

England U21

Fpcity

Far too many mistakes from Boothroyd is this U21 tournament i am sure he will be facing the axe.

The first game we was 1-0 up then had Chouhury sent off when he gave away a penalty, so Boothroyd brings on 2 strikers and plays them both out wide.

Also shocking to see Phil Foden and Tammy on the bench today when it was a must win game.

Shocking tournament for our young lads considering the immense ability we have in the squad.

9 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Anyone watching? 2 errors that could cost us. Tammy just equalising. He should've been starting from the start instead of Calvet-lewin who will never be a clinical striker. 

Calvert-Lewin is a Boothroyd type player. Works hard but limited talent.

How on earth did Boothroyd get the job though? The limits of his talents were shown by his ugly Watford side. He just seems to be a man out of his time and his depth.

5 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Some of these Romanian lads look special. 

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

They said before the tournament that this was their best side at any level for 15 years. Looks like they were right.

Some excellent technical ability on show from them, they do look tidy, at least going forward. I see Gheorghe Hagi's son was amongst them, what a great player he was. Probably reel of a few names from that era, mostly ending cu!

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Boothroyd? How does he justify leaving out Tammy who is a natural goalscorer.

Kelly lucky he hasn't been tainted by being on the pitch. So Tomori is better than Lloyd?

Tomori is immense but it is Clarke Salter who I think is massively overrated yet was captain. Lloyd for me every time over him. 

Calvert Lewin looks the part with his size, strength and pace but movement rivals Fams. Tammy possibly looks awkward at times but he gets results. Tammy over both Solanke and DCL. 

Dowell isn’t a holding midfielder and is far too one footed. Choudoury being suspended forced that however. 

Foden is on a different level than Mount and even Maddison. 

Playing Gray on the right wasted his talents. He is so up and down performance wise but at least on the left he can do what he did for the goal. 

The team selection was odd and the way they played was reminiscent of England pre Southgate. 

7 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Some excellent technical ability on show from them, they do look tidy, at least going forward. I see Gheorghe Hagi's son was amongst them, what a great player he was. Probably reel of a few names from that era, mostly ending cu!

Lots to like from their attacking players. Thought their defenders were a bit shaky but against one of the best attacking sides in the tournament. Keeper had a strong game too. 

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Tomori is immense but it is Clarke Salter who I think is massively overrated yet was captain. Lloyd for me every time over him. 

Calvert Lewin looks the part with his size, strength and pace but movement rivals Fams. Tammy possibly looks awkward at times but he gets results. Tammy over both Solanke and DCL. 

Dowell isn’t a holding midfielder and is far too one footed. Choudoury being suspended forced that however. 

Playing Gray on the right wasted his talents. He is so up and down performance wise but at least on the left he can do what he did for the goal. 

The team selection was odd and the way they played was reminiscent of England pre Southgate. 

Couldn’t agree more. Kenny looked poor too. I know AWB had a horror last game but surely you still start him in a must win game 

26 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Dimitrescu, Popescu, ... your turn :innocent06:;)

44 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Like the Rovers players of that era, but their names mostly started with cu...

55 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Agree completely that Clarke Salter is not that good. He was terrible at Rovers apparently. Was awful at Sunderland, and just had a loan at a worse league than the championship imo in the Dutch league for Vitesse.

An example of that league being easier is Lewis Baker doing really well for Vitesse, but coming to championship and not looking so good. Generally it's not as tough a league, so Clarke Salter maybe playing well over there does not necessarily make him good enough to get in this under 21 side.

Lloyd Kelly was absolutely superb in 2 under 21 games alongside Tomori who was also outstanding. I don't get why he changed that partnership.

I like Calvert Lewin, but yeah Tammy more the goalscorer. Solanke in the first game was a ridiculous decision. Doesn't play and his first touch hardly suits a team keeping the ball on the deck. But then in that first game there were a lot of chips over the top that generally just bounced through to goalie. Strange tactic by Boothroyd there. Obviously the subs in that France game made no sense whatsoever. 

Absolutely spot on about Dowell. He has so far from what I have seen been more a number 10, very advanced. Not sure what Boothroyd is thinking there either.

We should be beating France imo, and going on and winning or at least coming close to winning this competition. He should never have got the job. I do not really understand what the FA are thinking with some of their appointments at times. I expect he talks well to the press or whatever. Does he get results and understand the modern game? Don't think he does.

57 minutes ago, Dunc said:

Couldn’t agree more. Kenny looked poor too. I know AWB had a horror last game but surely you still start him in a must win game 

Kenny will have loads of fans because he works hard but thought it was noticeable at AG that his technical ability is limited. Surprise Schalke took him on loan

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree completely that Clarke Salter is not that good. He was terrible at Rovers apparently. Was awful at Sunderland, and just had a loan at a worse league than the championship imo in the Dutch league for Vitesse.

An example of that league being easier is Lewis Baker doing really well for Vitesse, but coming to championship and not looking so good. Generally it's not as tough a league, so Clarke Salter maybe playing well over there does not necessarily make him good enough to get in this under 21 side.

Lloyd Kelly was absolutely superb in 2 under 21 games alongside Tomori who was also outstanding. I don't get why he changed that partnership.

I like Calvert Lewin, but yeah Tammy more the goalscorer. Solanke in the first game was a ridiculous decision. Doesn't play and his first touch hardly suits a team keeping the ball on the deck. But then in that first game there were a lot of chips over the top that generally just bounced through to goalie. Strange tactic by Boothroyd there. Obviously the subs in that France game made no sense whatsoever. 

Absolutely spot on about Dowell. He has so far from what I have seen been more a number 10, very advanced. Not sure what Boothroyd is thinking there either.

We should be beating France imo, and going on and winning or at least coming close to winning this competition. He should never have got the job. I do not really understand what the FA are thinking with some of their appointments at times. I expect he talks well to the press or whatever. Does he get results and understand the modern game? Don't think he does.

France have an amazing squad and probably younger than the England one. Not a huge deal losing to them to be honest but yea reckon without the sending off would have won

Didn’t they just move people up after Big Sam? Southgate to the senior side and AB from assistant up to manager? They need to take a look at the setup below senior side now. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

France have an amazing squad and probably younger than the England one. Not a huge deal losing to them to be honest but yea reckon without the sending off would have won

Didn’t they just move people up after Big Sam? Southgate to the senior side and AB from assistant up to manager? They need to take a look at the setup below senior side now. 

I think France had a lot of key players missing, or at least that is what the commentator said

Archived