IGNORED

England U21

Fpcity

2 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Some of these Romanian lads look special. 

What you have to remember is these Romanian lads have 65 caps at Senior level between them. They picked the best players that were allowed to play in the tournament. Players like Jaden Sancho, Dele Alli, Trent Alexander Arnold, Joe Gomez amongst others weren't considered by England.

Boothroyd when asked about his job and future.......replied "I am surprised by the question".   Really|?  I personally think his selections and tactics have been poor.  Foden and Tammy should have started and we are disorganised at the back.   2 defeats in a group where we should have at minimum 4 points.  Is Boothroyd Up to the job?

31 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Boothroyd when asked about his job and future.......replied "I am surprised by the question".   Really|?  I personally think his selections and tactics have been poor.  Foden and Tammy should have started and we are disorganised at the back.   2 defeats in a group where we should have at minimum 4 points.  Is Boothroyd Up to the job?

No he isn’t. There’s a lot of talent in that squad and I truly thought the competition was winnable never mind the group!

I may be wrong, but I think he has also signed a new contract just prior to this tournament!

Dare I say it! And not what I want, but LJ would do really well at this level.

Boothroyd a man who played football for Bristol Rovers, was Manager of Watford who played shchocking football under him and was sacked bu Colchester. That's our U21 manager. Laughable really. England seem obsessed with this pure possession based game when it should be about passing with a purpose to score goals and playing at a high tempo. Yet again we are copying models of teams that are now out of date, i.e Spain and Barcelona of the early 2010's. 

Sorry but I also question whether Southgate is up to much really. We have good players, use them properly or it will be another false dawn.

5 hours ago, WiltshireReds said:

Boothroyd a man who played football for Bristol Rovers, was Manager of Watford who played shchocking football under him and was sacked bu Colchester. That's our U21 manager. Laughable really. England seem obsessed with this pure possession based game when it should be about passing with a purpose to score goals and playing at a high tempo. Yet again we are copying models of teams that are now out of date, i.e Spain and Barcelona of the early 2010's. 

Sorry but I also question whether Southgate is up to much really. We have good players, use them properly or it will be another false dawn.

Agree on Boothroyd. And although I like Southgate I agree with you about him too. Tactically in the world cup he was poor. Sticking with that weird 3322 formation even when Croatia had clearly sussed us out second half. And the warning signs were there in previous games too. No plan B.

And against Holland it was awful from Southgate. I actually think we should be winning that game with no problem. They had nothing up front.

With all their passing it around and pressing we should have been hitting them on the break like we did against Spain. Huge gaps to exploit with all the pace we have.

But we tried to outpass them with as many passes as possible and so often giving it away. We had Dier in front of the defence as our Pirlo, well he didn't even want the ball. He's not that type of player who you know will never lose the ball.

And what is John Stones getting in the side in front of Gomez for? And Kane could hardly run yet started. Poor decisions. 

Think this just shows what a poor manager AB is to be brutally honest. With that squad they should be at least getting to the final for me.

The balance was just all wrong you can’t play 4-3-3 with three attacking midfielders in the centre and two attacking full backs. His team selections were awful as well. 

Always thought it was a weird appointment with his playing style at club level (hoofball) and the way his career was going downhill.

On plus side he won’t manage the first team now. But they really need to give the job to a young promising manager who could manage the first team in the future.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agree on Boothroyd. And although I like Southgate I agree with you about him too. Tactically in the world cup he was poor. Sticking with that weird 3322 formation even when Croatia had clearly sussed us out second half. And the warning signs were there in previous games too. No plan B.

And against Holland it was awful from Southgate. I actually think we should be winning that game with no problem. They had nothing up front.

With all their passing it around and pressing we should have been hitting them on the break like we did against Spain. Huge gaps to exploit with all the pace we have.

But we tried to outpass them with as many passes as possible and so often giving it away. We had Dier in front of the defence as our Pirlo, well he didn't even want the ball. He's not that type of player who you know will never lose the ball.

And what is John Stones getting in the side in front of Gomez for? And Kane could hardly run yet started. Poor decisions. 

I think Southgate was expert at managing the pfess and media side of things, hence the undying love last Summer people dished out for him. However, when being realistic we beat teams we should be beating but when we come up against any good opposition, we lose. 

Dier shouldnt be anywhere near the England team, Foden should be there or Maddison and Boothroyd decides Foden cant even get in his team. We genuinely do have some good youth players coming through, but I fear it will be another waste due to mis management.

1 minute ago, WiltshireReds said:

I think Southgate was expert at managing the pfess and media side of things, hence the undying love last Summer people dished out for him. However, when being realistic we beat teams we should be beating but when we come up against any good opposition, we lose. 

Dier shouldnt be anywhere near the England team, Foden should be there or Maddison and Boothroyd decides Foden cant even get in his team. We genuinely do have some good youth players coming through, but I fear it will be another waste due to mis management.

Yep. We have the best youth in world football, or certainly up there with the very best when you look at our results in the younger age groups and the numbers we have coming through. 

On Dier, I think he's ok at doing a decent enough job at protecting a back 4. Like he did against Spain for example. But to use him in a Pirlo kind of role where we are constantly looking to pass it to him at every opportunity, he simply can't do it and doesn't look like he wants to be doing that role.

10 hours ago, WiltshireReds said:

England at a national level and through its FA have never followed the models used by Barcelona, the Spain national team or its FA. 

If England had/have Adie Boothroyd would not be employed by the FA. If the intent was to follow the above his appointment is weird, I would argue and pointed this out before that Mr Boothroyd appears not to be following any coaching philosophy at times beyond his own ideas.

13 hours ago, maxjak said:

Job for cotts? I’ll get my coat!

Archived