IGNORED

The weakest Championship in a long time?

My mate, who is not a city fan has said he thinks the Leeds game is the title decider. He has said since the end of last season he thinks we will be champions. Here’s to hoping ?

(He also hates the gas so I like to take his opinions seriously)

4 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

My mate, who is not a city fan has said he thinks the Leeds game is the title decider. He has said since the end of last season he thinks we will be champions. Here’s to hoping ?

Our first game of the season is the title decider?!  

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

In my opinion

The three teams that came down were all Championship sides in the last two years

Can't see the three teams coming up doing anything

West Brom Boro and Derby didn't set the Championship alight

So I can only see Leeds getting back in the top flight for next season

and hopefully us in second place

A lack of stand out teams IMO would make the Championship stronger as there are more teams capable of promotion

Fulham are in a bit of a mess and don’t think they will be great but the other two have gone down won’t have to sell anyone and will be strong sides. 

West Brom have made a poor managerial appointment I think and have an aging squad. So don’t think they will do much better than mid table.

Leeds will be strong again. Can see Sheffield Wednesday and Forrest being strong as well. 

I can see Cardiff and Leeds being top two sadly but think the playoffs are up for grabs. Few clubs in a terrible state as well like Hull and Birmingham who have got to be dead certs to go down. 

The Championship is probably the toughest league to predict throughout Europe. As others have suggested any club from 6 could win it with any 6 reaching the pray offs.

Obviously we’ll be able to make a more educated guess when all the wheeling and dealing is done and even then it’ll still pretty much an impossible task.

At this moment in time I have absolutely no idea which club will impress the most.

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

In my opinion

The three teams that came down were all Championship sides in the last two years

I really don’t get this view..!

The relegated prem teams were all good enough to get promoted from the championship BEFORE receiving hundreds of millions to strengthen..!

Several teams struggling to adjust to the championship last season and should be stronger - West Brom, Stoke?, Swansea. 

The promoted teams are unknown but Charlton loon decent and Barnsley know what the division is like. 

Then there are all of last seasons other top half teams, who will be hoping to push on. 

The teams that dropped out were generally weaker. 

At this moment in time, I’d say only Wigan & Millwall and then possibly Reading & QPR look like they might be in for a tough season. 

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

In my opinion

The championship has never been weak, it’s the hardest league in the world

5 hours ago, Nathandao said:

What's he been smoking?

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

We will have to see who signs who but I think it will be very strong again. 

Fulham, Stoke, Huddersfield, Leeds, Brentford, Preston, WBA, Boro and us will be strong I reckon.

Possible strong others are Forest, Luton, Cardiff and Derby. 

This league is always tough nowadays

Using my amazing(ly poor) powers of prediction , and remembering I said Sheff U would struggle when they came up, here are my thoughts.

Fulham , not sure they will be able to keep much of their squad together, spent £100m to get relegated. Mid table I would have thought .
Stoke, could be better than last year but unless they make some good signings not top 3 for me.
Huddersfield, could be strong. Sensible recruitment , a few additions could see them challenge.
Leeds, I would make them favourites along with Cardiff .
Derby are a funny one. Lose Frank Lampard from their name and the loans, and it's a big job for someone.
WBA , they could lose Rodriguez for £5m and need to sort their defence to have a chance. Outside playoff chance.
M'Boro, I would say playoffs, but it's a big ask for a new manager.
Preston have been incredibly consistent over the last few years. A good start could see them push the top 6
Forest need to do some wheeling and dealing, good manager , but easier to say you need players out than to actually do it.
I don't see Luton sustaining a challenge. Score goals, but can prove to be a big step up to the Championship.

As for us. Kalas and DaSilva are key, get those two and a couple more quality additions (without losing anyone) and we could push for a top 6 spot.

I would never say this is an easy division, may not have big stand out Champions , but the list above doesn't even have Sheff W, Swansea, Hull and Brentford, who could all have a say.
Add that there could be a lot of coming and going, throughout the division, and it's way too early to really have a good idea of things. 

With luck this post will self destruct in 5 minutes so it doesn't come back and prove me wrong in abut 10 months time.

11 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

In my opinion

Your right mate...not seeing anything there to concern unduly.

Keep Webby,get Kalas/De'Silva on board plus a goalscorer & anythings possible.

And a c-mid as well please ?

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

The Championship is probably the toughest league to predict throughout Europe. As others have suggested any club from 6 could win it with any 6 reaching the pray offs.

Obviously we’ll be able to make a more educated guess when all the wheeling and dealing is done and even then it’ll still pretty much an impossible task.

At this moment in time I have absolutely no idea which club will impress the most.

You and your bloody pray off's, that's so last year change the record.

It's hard to really tell at this stage, but there does appear to be a hell of a lot of sides who have either a limited budget for this level (Wigan, Millwall, Barnsley, Reading, QPR, Preston, Luton), uncertainties over management (Derby, Birmingham, Forest, Hull ) or some kind of behind the scenes issues, which could hinder them on the field (Charlton, Swansea, Sheff Wed)

The teams I'd expect to be up there are Leeds, Cardiff and West Brom.. maybe Fulham and Boro too.

16 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Sheff Wednesday will be strong. Leeds too. Preston outsiders for playoffs 

Mid table respectability beckons for us

Sheffield Wednesday are currently under a soft transfer embargo, which may scupper their preparations for the new season, though I'm sure they will.be top half at least. I don't see anything at this early stage to suggest that Preston will be outsiders after finishing bottom half last year.

And it's waay to early to write us off as mid table fodder.

On 22/06/2019 at 07:03, Never to the dark side said:

In my opinion

You are joking aren't you?

This league will never be easy. Too much quality and determination to avoid the drop at the bottom and then there are at least ten or twelve scrapping for promotion.

Easy?

Cardiff will be up there I am sure. As we have seen teams can come down and struggle, but I really do not see that happening with them. They will have a very similar side that nearly, and maybe should have stayed up.

On 23/06/2019 at 09:05, cidered abroad said:

You are joking aren't you?

This league will never be easy. Too much quality and determination to avoid the drop at the bottom and then there are at least ten or twelve scrapping for promotion.

Easy?

He never mentioned it would be easy. Said it’s the weakest it’s been in a long time and I tend to agree.

Archived