IGNORED

Season Ticket Sales

wendyredredrobin

11 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

If true that's really impressive... I didn't renew along with 7 others so i'm really surprised at this, the home experience has been really

shite this season.

9 hours ago, pillred said:

LAST SEASON, and I didn't renew for the same reason plus fixtures all over the place, Friday, Sunday, moved for rugby? tv etc etc.

Got to agree, there were a lot of occasions I really didn't enjoy attending AG last season, and I was a very late and somewhat reluctant re-newer for this one. I couldn't not do it in the end though!

I remember the club used to phone individual STH's if it looked like they weren't re-newing to ask why not, and of course try and persuade them to do so.

Do they still do this, or do the numbers of STH's these days mean they are more content to let long time supporters go without a fight?

If they did phone you, what reasons did you give, and how did they respond?

7 minutes ago, DolmanDave said:

New season ticket holder here.. along with 3 of my friends.

We've been going many  many years POTD or forever Bristol recently due to work/family commitments. 

But that changed now. Works happy. Partners happy. 

COYR ?

How dare you!!

you can only come on here to complain you’ve been a ST holder since the 70’s and its all sh!t now! ?

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

So, for me, my recent discontent is the lack of entertainment. I will be there with my ST this season, but if we get the seriously dull and boring home performances that we had last season, I will probably consider whether to call it a day.

I go to football for the buzz and if that does not improve, why go? Up to LJ to entertain us, not send us to sleep!

Ditto.

After watching since the 60’s I personally don’t miss the old days. I enjoy the match day experience far more since the rebuild. In the years prior to the rebuild I bought virtually nothing at the ground, certainly not any food or drinks. I now get to the ground probably 3 hours prior to kick off, meet friends in the coffee shop with my family and buy numerous drinks and food every time.

Its noticeable that the demographics of the larger crowds are changing due to excellent marketing and vastly improved match-day experience. I see many more women, younger fans and a greater diversity in our fan base. The work from the Community trust, the growth of women’s football, the absence of mindless hooligans (most of the time)  and racist attitudes are all contributing to that.

The continuing introduction of other sports to the brand and the soon to be new arena is changing the public view of a football ground being a traditionally a macho-male environment.  Compare it to the Mem and the largely ageing demographic there. Ashton Gate is now a welcoming experience for customers whereas the Mem is the place for the 70’s type male football fan wanting to get away from the Mrs on a Saturday afternoon.  

Steve Lansdowns vision is paying dividends and we are now established as a Championship team with an Academy at last justifying itself. There have been times over the years where I have seriously questioned my enthusiasm for my club but now is definitely not such a time. I can’t wait for the new season.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m the opposite, I’ve grown out of love of watching on tv.  I still do, but I don’t enjoy it.  5-6 replays of virtually every incident is depriving us of what’s going on in the game.  By all means 1 or 2 quick replays, but as soon as the ball is in play, I want to see the game.  

The other advantage of watching live games, is that one can see a much wider picture of the game. Who is working off the ball, what shape are the teams at different times. And I also feel that because a whole pitch width is within vision without moving the head, that it is a better view.

2 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

I sit in the Landsdown as a STH and my god there is some dull people who sit in there and sometimes wonder if they've walked into the wrong venue. Football has changed massively and the fan base with it but football and city is my realease and I'll shout and swear all I want and if you down like it sit in the family section it's that simple.

In what sense mate? I’ve never been in the Lansdown but it’s always eerily quiet 

12 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

7 lads who have been season ticket holders for many years (old school if you like)... The more people like us that don't go the more the club is washed out... We carry the recent memories of the club surely? 

And the people filling your seats will be the ones carrying forward the memories being created in the present.

2 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

I sit in the Landsdown as a STH and my god there is some dull people who sit in there and sometimes wonder if they've walked into the wrong venue. Football has changed massively and the fan base with it but football and city is my realease and I'll shout and swear all I want and if you down like it sit in the family section it's that simple.

People have different personalities and there is nothing wrong with sitting quietly watching football. The people who bug me are those who try to insist everybody should be noisy.

56 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The other advantage of watching live games, is that one can see a much wider picture of the game. Who is working off the ball, what shape are the teams at different times. And I also feel that because a whole pitch width is within vision without moving the head, that it is a better view.

Agree, and personally I liked to watch from south stand towards corner of Dolman.  As a Centre-Half, I like to watch the game in front of me.  Love watching the runs of strikers, the passing over of markers, the cover Ayling used to do for Flint that went unnoticed, etc etc.  I miss that now Joe wants to stay in Lansdown.  Sky used to have different cameras, and I’d often watch the whole 90 from the camera behind the goal.  Felt more absorbing than the typical camera view.

4 minutes ago, Leveller said:

People have different personalities and there is nothing wrong with sitting quietly watching football. The people who bug me are those who try to insist everybody should be noisy.

I’m not a singer...the only one I tend to join in with is “come on you reds” and “Matty Taylor us a red”, which always makes me chuckle.  Joe sings along more than me.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Got to agree, there were a lot of occasions I really didn't enjoy attending AG last season, and I was a very late and somewhat reluctant re-newer for this one. I couldn't not do it in the end though!

I remember the club used to phone individual STH's if it looked like they weren't re-newing to ask why not, and of course try and persuade them to do so.

Do they still do this, or do the numbers of STH's these days mean they are more content to let long time supporters go without a fight?

Yes must admit was a little surprised they didn't phone me and try to twist my arm considering I have had a season ticket for 24 years even if only to ask the reason, but perhaps too many people had the same reasons as me and they didn't like being told the cold hard facts, I will still attend a lot of games but found the constant changing of fixtures general lack of Saturday games compared to when I first became a season ticket holder and parking, well that has become bothersome, if it rains and the field next to the cricket club is closed when you get there well what do you do? the times of the buses on night games back to pill mean I either have to leave the game before the end or wait till nearly 11 o clock till the next one.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm out of Bristol next year so I haven't renewed. 

The lack of interest they showed was disappointing to be honest, it was almost as though it's fine that people don't renew because we have so many new season ticket holders. Bit disappointing really.

I have renewed and can’t see a point when I won’t. We may not have been at our best at home last season but let’s face it we’ve seen a lot worse. Like many on here I’ve been watching City since the 60s and I can honestly say that the match day experience now is far better than it was when I was a kid standing in the East End. As I get older my love for night football has waned a bit but the new Ashton Gate can have a wonderful atmosphere under lights. My only real gripe these days is how long it takes me to get out of the South Stand after the game, as I always stay until the final whistle and don’t exit stage left before the final curtain comes down.

It’s easy to have rise tinted spectacles about the past, but when I contrast now with the good/bad old days of the 60/70/80s I recall  I had to stand in a queue while people fiddled with change to get through the turnstile and once in find a place where I could actually see the game as I only grew to 5’6”. The facilities could best be described as basic in both culinary and sanitary terms, while I often had to try to avoid one bunch of idiots trying to invade the castle of the other bunch of idiots, which put off a lot of parents from bringing their kids. If you were lucky you may have got some entertainment at half time from some dodgy dancers or a song from Shag Connors and the Carrot Crunchers  

These days for entertainment there is a fans park with live music and a proper family section with plenty for kids to do, while us adults can enjoy countless (if a tad expensive) concession stands with a wide choice of food and drink including real ale. It just needs safe standing to now improve it further. 

Give me the days of the atmosphere back, loved everything about mixing with proper footballing fans where it was good to achieve good winning moments and also the lesser results. The fans then seemed to appreciate what they had at the gate, the smell of fags pouring out of the stands, standing up on most parts of the ground with your mates. You felt like you were really part of the club. i do understand that you go with the times, but no you will not beat what we had then. I was born under the EE stand. Oh Well!

Way too simplistic to claim the old days were better than the modern era, or vice versa. In a lot of ways I yearn for the matchday experience of Ashton Gate in the 70's, those four years in the top flight were magic for a young kid. And the numerous 'lively' and 'edgey'away days in the 80's were a fantastic time to be following Bristol City.

In truth though, the football wasn't always that great, the crowds at all clubs always did have a pretty big proportion of fans who didn't sing, chant and make a noise, and at many games the atmosphere was pretty subdued. But our memories point us to the big days out, ignoring the rest.

Everyone would agree last season's form at home was largely pretty poor, and the entertainment value was low. But the lads in the corner, S82 and the rest, do a decent job. Sometimes the atmosphere is not as good as the old days, sometimes it's better (if we're comparing to all games, not just the ones we choose to remember). Given this was one of our club's highest ever finishes, and in the context of some of the other dire seasons we've had to endure during the past forty years, I can't understand anyone who thinks now is the time to give it up.

Life's good at BCFC.

I’ve been going to the Gate since 1992. From 2000 to 2017 I had a season ticket in the old B block of the Dolman. For the past two seasons I’ve been in the South Stand, I can honestly say it’s been brilliant, the atmosphere is much, much better than anything I experienced in the Dolman.

19 hours ago, Gary Nanes said:

Sad to read this.

I hate the way the club’s going off the pitch; unless the standing section is expanded in the next few years I’ll be packing it in also. @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO please drive for this, it’s something the supporters club are really keen on. Safe standing is now legalised in this country, make it happen.

Make the whole of the south stand a safe standing area ? 

Would do wonders for the atmosphere!

5 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I'm out of Bristol next year so I haven't renewed. 

The lack of interest they showed was disappointing to be honest, it was almost as though it's fine that people don't renew because we have so many new season ticket holders. Bit disappointing really.

What did you want them to do..? Offer you a chauffeured limousine to and from Bristol, so that moving away wasn’t a necessity..?! 

19 hours ago, pillred said:

Seven didn't renew and that's just the people he knew, I know 3 people also that didn't renew that's 10 people from a sample of two, I could go on but feel with you I'm wasting my time as you seem a little blinkered and wont admit that there is a it of skulduggery going on, add up the amount coming in from transfers in the last year and the outgoings, there is quite a difference, doing things on the cheap catches up with you in the end, some of us can see that obviously you cant. The matchday experience at home is certainly better, well it is till the ref blows his whistle, shame nearly all the best football we played was away from Ashton gate the away fans certainly got their moneys worth, shame I left the ground shaking my head and wishing I hadn't bothered turning up for the majority of games.

By that maths, if all 14,000 of last seasons season ticket holders say the same we are down 70,000 season tickets next season!  

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

What did you want them to do..? Offer you a chauffeured limousine to and from Bristol, so that moving away wasn’t a necessity..?! 

No, not at all

I might be alone in this, but I would have expected the club to at least question why, after a good few years as a season ticket holder,  I hadn't renewed.

Obviously though, they've had an increased uptake on season tickets again so they're probably happy enough to not care about fans who have decided not to renew

10 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Family season ticket holder for 11 years in a row and not even so much as a phone call, all I had was the same generic shit everyone else gets... No *****!! @mattparsonsbcfcslo

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

No, not at all

I might be alone in this, but I would have expected the club to at least question why, after a good few years as a season ticket holder,  I hadn't renewed.

Obviously though, they've had an increased uptake on season tickets again so they're probably happy enough to not care about fans who have decided not to renew

Or maybe they just respected your decision not to renew and didn’t feel it appropriate to question you or try and nag you into changing your mind..?! 

11 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

The old culture was totally useless, 6th city mainly in the 3rd tier dear oh dear. The new experience is much better but could do with more atmosphere and that is down to the fans.

More atmosphere might come if we start to entertain more, win at home and win promotion to where it seems we fear to tread!

I believe very sincerely that our crowd will support us much more vocally if, and it's a big if, the team and club actually respond. We have had so many false dawns at various levels that, for most City fans, we are always waiting for us to mess it up. As per the old adage "City can a;ways snatch defeat from the jaws of victory".

When we do it the other way round a bit more often, then we may begin to believe! 

1 minute ago, KeepUpLino said:

So what's your excuse then James you boring ***, you don't even POTD!!!!

You'll find that I do when I can.

I've worked nearly every Saturday since January and been to each of the home games on the Saturdays that I wasn't working in that time, and did a couple of away games as well.

Fact is I cannot afford a season ticket, but am hoping to get one for 2020-21.

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Or maybe they just respected your decision not to renew and didn’t feel it appropriate to question you or try and nag you into changing your mind..?! 

Maybe, but I'd say it's good customer service to find put why somebody may be dissatisfied with your product so you can work on how to improve it

Archived