IGNORED

Jack House RIP

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

I have seen a message on social media that Jack House has died, for any one who went to Ashton Park School in the 70’s & 80’s or attended a wedding in the Ashton / Bedminster area, they will know the larger than life character that was the Reverend Jack House, a City fan.

RIP Jack.

9 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I have seen a message on social media that Jack House has died, for any one who went to Ashton Park School in the 70’s & 80’s or attended a wedding in the Ashton / Bedminster area, they will know the larger than life character that was the Reverend Jack House, a City fan.

RIP Jack.

The most memorable of some incredible characters that taught me throughout the 60s and 70s.

A great City fan who organised a school trip to Coventry for “that game”. 

The Rev Jack House was one of a kind.

Sad news.

Jack was proper city.

He took no rubbish whatsoever from anybody.

He would let fans use a building attached to st francis church to have supporters meetings in the 1950s.

Pill he was not the sort of teacher you forgot, he taught re, and he had a dirty harry approach to teaching.

Tell you this much bet he was great at darts with his aim.

Rip mr house.

Only ever had one run in with mr house, but that was enough! Aged about 12 got caught playing the old fave,,, running the corridors at lunch break,,, until i got cornered by old jack! On trying to apologise and protest my innocence i was told “boy, i dont want your sorrow”. Turns out he did want a 500 word essay on why i shouldnt run in corridors, which isnt as easy as you might think!

his claim to fame was that he went to the city vs leeds 1.0 game in the 70s, and got punched on the nose while he wAs there.

rip mr house

2 words to strike fear into any ashton parkers from the 1980s.

Youuuuuu Boyyyyyy.

I think he may have done boxing in his youth.

The welsh pe teacher mr jarvis was a welsh international rugby player and he hated football.

HIs friendly manner reminded me of the pe instructor in the movie scum.

I wrote on here recently in a thread about missing important events to attend City matches, my sister had booked her wedding at a church in Ashton Gate and I had skipped the reception to go to the noon KO City v Gas Derby. And yes, Rev Jack House conducted the wedding that day...I think she had a cut down ceremony and he wizzed through it so fast. Even had his City scarf beneath his vestments, soon as the ceremony was done both him and I were gone ?

RIP Jack House.

What a sad loss of a really massive character. Some of the posts on here really bring back some great memories of the great Jack House, particularly of his RE lessons at Ashton Park School.

Although he didn’t take any nonsense, his one weakness was if the subject of his beloved Bristol City was raised during the lesson.  He would then spend half the lesson discussing anything BC related.  As a teacher, he was one of those rare characters who could be strict, but had the total respect of the pupils; many of them he would still be in touch with, decades after they had left the school.  His passion was infectious and actually made a lesson I had no interest in actually more than bearable and entertaining.

He really was a larger than life and fascinating character, who had so many interests, but would never just dabble in anything. Whatever he did, he would get totally involved and Bristol City was certainly right up there in his passions  I was chatting to him on the supporters’ march to Ashton Vale ‘village green’ a few years back and was amazed at the unbridled passion and enthusiasm he still had for the club after all the years of relative underachievement that he had witnessed over his decades a a supporter.

An absolutely lovely bloke and a massive loss to Bristol City, the church and everyone who had the huge pleasure of knowing him.

Sincere condolences to his wife Rosemary for her tragic loss.

Knew him well, my mum used to take me to St Francis Church on a Sunday and he was reasonably soft spoken. Started at Ashton Park school and soon saw him giving the hairdryer treatment to some poor scrote in the corridor who’d been dumb enough to mess around in his lesson ?

We need teachers like him now, great bloke. Rest in peace Jack.

I had the Black Board Rubber Treatment whilst at Ashton Park School but what a legend this man was. I have bumped into him over the years and most recently chatted to him in Sainsburys when he told me he had the Big C. It was only a month back I stopped outside his house when he was doing the recycling, said hi and as I pulled away, we both shouted 'up the city'. RIP Jack

He taught my wife in the 70s and married us in the 80s. For weeks before our wedding, people who knew my wife said to him they heard he was marrying her - he joked 'I wish I was!' So many people who attended our wedding said what a great service it was, made extra special by Jack. Over the years he always asked how we were doing whenever we saw him. RIP Jack.

On 22/06/2019 at 22:21, Maesknoll Red said:

RIP Jack.

Very sad news, a much loved figure in BS3 and deeply involved with the football and local Churches.

2 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

Mr House taught me Religious Education and was my rugby coach along with Mr Fisher at Ashton Park. 

Another teacher who wouldn’t take any shit.

I had to give a presentation in History once and I was terrified plus I thought he was going to hate it. He was actually very complimentary, which made me feel 10 feet tall. 

Good teacher and a nice bloke.

Mr fisher was old school, anyone who paints windows black to stop you looking out you got to respect.

wonder how that stunt would go down today?

Do you remember mr 5 lines guys.

if you spoke, moved, breathed, or anything along those lines you got 5 lines.

I remember being in his class, and a pupil running a message from the office, and he got about 800 lines before he got the chance to tell him he was a messanger.

Mr mustoe burst in and said oi such and such i sent you to run a message here 30 minutes ago why you sat down??

He waved the lines at mr mustoe, who laughed then departed.

Jack had a heart of gold and never took himself or life too seriously.

My mum once went on holiday with him and Rosemary and when Jack had to take his belt off at the metal detector his trousers fell down - in the middle of Bristol Airport. Jack just roared with laughter, while Rosemary cringed!

At the same time, he could be fiercely passionate about causes he cared for, including Bristol City, and there must be few priests anywhere in this country so prone to effing and jeffing when riled up about something.  :laughcont:

The Post called him a one-off and he certainly was that

Goodnight Jack. RIP true Red.

13 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Mr fisher was old school, anyone who paints windows black to stop you looking out you got to respect.

wonder how that stunt would go down today?

Do you remember mr 5 lines guys.

if you spoke, moved, breathed, or anything along those lines you got 5 lines.

I remember being in his class, and a pupil running a message from the office, and he got about 800 lines before he got the chance to tell him he was a messanger.

Mr mustoe burst in and said oi such and such i sent you to run a message here 30 minutes ago why you sat down??

He waved the lines at mr mustoe, who laughed then departed.

That was substitute teacher Mr Chowdury Terry, he was always rumoured to be reading the Kama Sutra inside whatever text book he was teaching from.

Archived