IGNORED

retro shirt question

Slacker

I received a beautiful City retro shirt for fathers day.I have been digging online and think it is from 1958-1962.It has number 8 on the back.It is red with a white v-neck collar.It has a large coat of arms crest on the chest .I will try and upload a photo if necessary (and if I can work out how!) but I suspect our resident boffins and historians will be straight on it.Humongous amounts of gratitude,monumental kudos and stratospheric good tidings to anyone and everyone that can tell me who wore the shirt.(Apart from me).

Many Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, Slacker said:

That is the site I used to get the years when the shirt was worn Hoss.Doesn't say who would have worn the shirt though.Thanks anyway.

Shirt numbers were 1 to 11 in those days, not squad numbers. I would suggest Brian Clark may have worn the number 8 shirt more often than not?

1 minute ago, East End Old Boy said:

Shirt numbers were 1 to 11 in those days, not squad numbers. I would suggest Brian Clark may have worn the number 8 shirt more often than not?

I am not sure what year sub's were introduced so I assume the same player would  have worn it more worn it more often than not.Thanks Old Boy.

2 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

First substitute was Keith Peacock of Charlton Athletic, unsure of year. 

On 21 August 1965, while playing for Charlton, he became the first substitute ever to be used in the Football League when he replaced injured goalkeeper Mike Roseafter 11 minutes of an away match against Bolton Wanderers.[3]

I deliberately avoided mentioning his career after us.Cardiff TWICE and Millwall!Seems he outscored John Atyeo a couple of seasons too when they played together alongside Bobby Williams.Embarrassed I didn't know a bit more about him.

25 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

On 21 August 1965, while playing for Charlton, he became the first substitute ever to be used in the Football League when he replaced injured goalkeeper Mike Roseafter 11 minutes of an away match against Bolton Wanderers.[3]

The permissible use of a substitute in the 1965/66 season was restricted to injured players. The use of a sub for tactical reasons didn’t come in until 1967/68. 

Interestingly, although a substitute had been permissible since 1958, it was not allowed in the World Cup finals tournament until 1970, hence none in 1966   

5 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The permissible use of a substitute in the 1965/66 season was restricted to injured players. The use of a sub for tactical reasons didn’t come in until 1967/68. 

Interestingly, although a substitute had been permissible since 1958, it was not allowed in the World Cup finals tournament until 1970, hence none in 1966   

So if that Charlton player in '65 was the first football league sub, then it took 7 years from subs being allowed (but restricted to injuries) until the first time a player was injured and the manager thought it worthwhile to replace them, or have I totally misread this?

11 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

So if that Charlton player in '65 was the first football league sub, then it took 7 years from subs being allowed (but restricted to injuries) until the first time a player was injured and the manager thought it worthwhile to replace them, or have I totally misread this?

My mistake for not making it clearer. Substitute was allowed in international football in 1958 not in UK domestic competition. 

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

My mistake for not making it clearer. Substitute was allowed in international football in 1958 not in UK domestic competition. 

Thanks for clarifying.

Did think it highly unlikely that no manager would have wanted to sub an injured player for 7 years.

Archived