IGNORED

Roy Keane Leaves Forest/Martin O'Neil Sacked (Merged)

Unan

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

He must of fluked all those trophy’s he’s won then in the spl when it was actually competitive or keeping villa up or the trophy’s he won at Leicester or the great work he did at roi

...and he did a lot more than keep Villa up - took them to three consecutive 6th place finishes in the premier league - and in his first ever managerial role he promoted Wycombe twice in consecutive seasons and then famously said “Wycombe has more potential” when the gas were sniffing around for his services ....

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

His stuff on Billy Davies is very good, and goes a long way to explaining why no club will touch him with a bargepole.

Indeed, some shocking stuff went on and he exposed it.

Beyond that he has done outstanding work on historic abuse in football. Proper investigative and campaigning journalism. Football needs more of that.

21 minutes ago, Diddlydonkey said:

Any links for this? Would be keen to read.

Must be 5 years or so ago now so may be archived on The Guardian site.

The last piece I remember was Davies claiming he was the victim of a conspiracy, though he never said who by. He was supposed to be gathering evidence but since then, silence.

There was stuff allegedly going on like long serving staff being sacked with no explanation, journalists ( those he hadn't barred) being secretly filmed at press conferences, fights with cameramen at games, a ban for 'confronting' a referee in the tunnel.

The major thing was his agent, who was his cousin and a barred solicitor, being given a senior job at the club - not as a Director as he would have failed the fit and proper person test, which takes some doing given some of the crooks who have passed.

I will have forgotten other stuff no doubt but this gives you a good idea.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Must be 5 years or so ago now so may be archived on The Guardian site.

The last piece I remember was Davies claiming he was the victim of a conspiracy, though he never said who by. He was supposed to be gathering evidence but since then, silence.

There was stuff allegedly going on like long serving staff being sacked with no explanation, journalists ( those he hadn't barred) being secretly filmed at press conferences, fights with cameramen at games, a ban for 'confronting' a referee in the tunnel.

The major thing was his agent, who was his cousin and a barred solicitor, being given a senior job at the club - not as a Director as he would have failed the fit and proper person test, which takes some doing given some of the crooks who have passed.

I will have forgotten other stuff no doubt but this gives you a good idea.

I vaguely remember it now. Great manager but what a tit.

The interview for the vacant manager's job at the "famous club" must've been like speed dating, 18 minutes between getting sacked and a new to55er appointed. They're getting like dirty leeds, only two forest manager's jobs until Christmas.

How embarrassing 

17 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Not once did he hear him talk tactics/having a game plan

Just read one of Brian Clough’s autobiography’s and he did pretty much the same. 

O’Neil must have taken on board some of Clough’s methods when he won all his trophies. 

21 minutes ago, swanker said:

Just read one of Brian Clough’s autobiography’s and he did pretty much the same. 

O’Neil must have taken on board some of Clough’s methods when he won all his trophies. 

Clough had Peter Taylor and Ronnie Fenton though. O'Neill had Roy Keane.

There's the difference.

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Clough had Peter Taylor and Ronnie Fenton though. O'Neill had Roy Keane.

There's the difference.

I think there’s a massive difference between Brian Clough and any manager. Unbelievable what what he achieved and where he achieved it. 

I’m just talking his methods. 

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

O'Neil 90s tactician, who no longer inspires

Keane a bully

Hardly a great combination for success

Is Keane a bully? Or has the world gone soft? Personally like listening to him, says it as it is & doesn't care who he says it about. We all cry out for the pundits to drop the cliches, well Keane definitely has. Funny guy as well imo. COYR 

4 minutes ago, swanker said:

I think there’s a massive difference between Brian Clough and any manager. Unbelievable what what he achieved and where he achieved it. 

I’m just talking his methods. 

Sure he was a genius at his peak but my point is he relied on Taylor for spotting players and Fenton for his coaching.

O'Neill had Keane, whose job was to bully players.

Even the best need a good support team.

1 minute ago, Simon79 said:

Is Keane a bully? Or has the world gone soft? Personally like listening to him, says it as it is & doesn't care who he says it about. We all cry out for the pundits to drop the cliches, well Keane definitely has. Funny guy as well imo. COYR 

Shouting and screaming at people and occasionally fighting with them doesn't constitute good management.

He is intelligent and articulate but the other side of him gets in the way.

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

Shouting and screaming at people and occasionally fighting with them doesn't constitute good management.

He is intelligent and articulate but the other side of him gets in the way.

When has that happened? The fighting ( genuine question ). With regards the other side of him, it upsets people, because more often than not, it is him saying something ( the truth) that people don't want to hear imo. He sets high standards for himself & expects people around him to have high standards. Rightly so imo, the man is a born winner, who would do anything for his team. I believe Sir Alex described his performance against Juventus in the Champions League semi final as ' the most selfless act he had ever witnessed in football ', before they fell out! All in all, I'm sure he does ruffle a few feathers, but I know who I would want on my team. COYR 

5 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

When has that happened? The fighting ( genuine question ). With regards the other side of him, it upsets people, because more often than not, it is him saying something ( the truth) that people don't want to hear imo. He sets high standards for himself & expects people around him to have high standards. Rightly so imo, the man is a born winner, who would do anything for his team. I believe Sir Alex described his performance against Juventus in the Champions League semi final as ' the most selfless act he had ever witnessed in football ', before they fell out! All in all, I'm sure he does ruffle a few feathers, but I know who I would want on my team. COYR 

The fighting was when he was assistant to O'Neill with the ROI team.Ask some Ireland fans what they think of the two of them.

Lots of managers set high standards, it's a question of how you enforce them.

I'd want him on my team when he was a player. As a manager, no.

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

Sure he was a genius at his peak but my point is he relied on Taylor for spotting players and Fenton for his coaching.

O'Neill had Keane, whose job was to bully players.

Even the best need a good support team.

I’m not sure MON is the modern day motivator

Hes a strange one 

For example , if a player is injured, MON literally ignores them and passes them in the corridor without a word as ‘they are of no use to him injured’   :blink:

Might have worked for Clough 

Keane knows the game for sure but tries to rule by fear and intimidation 

Not a great modern day combination I’d suggest !

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hes a strange one 

For example , if a player is injured, MON literally ignores them and passes them in the corridor without a word as ‘they are of no use to him injured’   :blink:

Agreed, I remember he gave Harry Arter a tirade of foul mouthed abuse because he didn't train on the advice of medical staff.

I think it was Liam Brady who said he was bad for team morale because of regular rows with players.

Brady reckoned Keane didn't really like football, which is not uncommon among pros.

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Agreed, I remember he gave Harry Arter a tirade of foul mouthed abuse because he didn't train on the advice of medical staff.

I think it was Liam Brady who said he was bad for team morale because of regular rows with players.

Brady reckoned Keane didn't really like football, which is not uncommon among pros.

‘like’ :thumbsup: (Your posts on this thread)

would you want to play for Keane .

No thanks - I would think young pros would dread training and getting torn into on a regular basis

I always thought MON was decent but some of the stories I’ve heard in recent years shows he’s stuck in a bygone footballing era

26 minutes ago, chinapig said:

The fighting was when he was assistant to O'Neill with the ROI team.Ask some Ireland fans what they think of the two of them.

Lots of managers set high standards, it's a question of how you enforce them.

I'd want him on my team when he was a player. As a manager, no.

Wasn't aware of the Ireland bit. Although our Callum didn't seem to put off by the two of them! Totally agree with different managers setting high standards. Maybe Keane could be more tactile, but I do like his upfront approach personally. COYR 

On 29/06/2019 at 11:57, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hes a strange one 

Mourinho is the same.

Archived