IGNORED

England v Cameroon, round of 16, Women’s World Cup

cityexile

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If they’re not gonna introduce a manager review (1 per team) like cricket, then get rid of VAR and: 

• just accept that there is a grey area,
  • back your officials to get it right (and mic them up to explain them and pick up players abusing them),
  • back them when they get it wrong by coaching them more
  • stick to pure black and white decisions like goal-line only

I agree, but although I hate it, there was in fairness a ‘good’ use of VAR just now in the Brazil France game. Brazil put the ball in the net, flagged for offside. In seconds it was shown she was onside and the goal was given, What gets my goat is when a minute after the event, they go to VAR and then can literally take 3-4 minutes to get a decision. 

26 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I agree, but although I hate it, there was in fairness a ‘good’ use of VAR just now in the Brazil France game. Brazil put the ball in the net, flagged for offside. In seconds it was shown she was onside and the goal was given, What gets my goat is when a minute after the event, they go to VAR and then can literally take 3-4 minutes to get a decision. 

Yep, and I'd suggest that if it's taking that long to decide, then it isn't a clear and obvious mistake that needs overturning.

Only saw second half and extra time of France match, but by heck hasn’t the woman’s game kicked on at elite level, and then some.

Unbelievable skills and quick feet. Even the keepers look competent. No diving, rolling about either

Now a real sport and very watchable.

Far too many things going to VAR.

Why does the ref need to see endless replays on the halfway line? I think anything that they refer to VAR should then be taken out of the refs hands (and a poor decision shouldn't reflect on them). They should be able ask the reviewing panel a simple question, can I give the goal/was it offside etc. job done, get on with the game.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/23/england-phil-neville-accuses-cameroon-shaming-football 

Reports of Cameroonian 'entourage' fighting in the VIP area and at Englands Hotel - would not be drawn on specifics.

Referee said to be too afraid to rule against Cameroon for fear for her own safety.

It would seem this team and officials were not going to play nice regardless of VAR.

11 hours ago, cityexile said:

Agree and said this at the time, it’s meant to be for a clear and obvious error. If it’s a clear and obvious error it should only take seconds to decide and the ref shouldn’t need to be called over. It should just be a case of looking at it once, instantly seeing the “clear and obvious” error and then telling the ref. That Brazil goal was the perfect example of what VAR should be: the officials on the field made a clear mistake and it was corrected in seconds 

59 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

VAR works, it's just the plums who are charged with making it work.

It just causes even more problems overall.

The sooner they scrap it or reformat it the better. One review per game per side. Stop spending 5 minutes checking if someone's toe is ahead of another's for offside.

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

It just causes even more problems overall.

The sooner they scrap it or reformat it the better. One review per game per side. Stop spending 5 minutes checking if someone's toe is ahead of another's for offside.

Couldn’t agree more but in the current rules the Cameroon goal had to be disallowed in the same way Jesse Lingards was the other week. Can’t have one VAR rule for men and another for women, that’s not equality!!!!

9 hours ago, Loon plage said:

VAR works, it's just the plums who are charged with making it work.

Ok; to improve the method, how about only using it if the Ref is unsure or one team disputes the decision (as with DRS in cricket)?

If the ball goes in the net and the defending team prepare to kick off again, that shows they admit it's a goal with no need to stop the game.

34 minutes ago, 22A said:

Ok; to improve the method, how about only using it if the Ref is unsure or one team disputes the decision (as with DRS in cricket)?

If the ball goes in the net and the defending team prepare to kick off again, that shows they admit it's a goal with no need to stop the game.

In that scenario you'd just get teams appealing for everything regardless of whether there was a hint of an offence or not.

Of the games I have watched, I have to say that although they are inconsistent, the one thing that England appear to have above all the other sides, is composure when finishing particularly Ellen White. I know the Yanks, banged goals in for fun in the league stages, but they look half the team when pressured.

16 hours ago, miketh2nd said:

Felt sorry for Spain against the USA ... that 2nd penalty was never a penalty and again it took way too long for the decision to be made .

Outrageous that she watched that back and still gave it!

Surely one thing that could make it a bit quicker is that the VAR officials in the studio just make the decision and tell the referee on the pitch. They're all trained referees and are part of the 'team' of officials for the match, so who cares who makes the final decision? We're not playing to feed egos.

Archived