IGNORED

Supporter or Fan

• Admin
On 23/06/2019 at 22:23, cidered abroad said:

A supporter is one who pays money to watch games of the club.

A fan is one who does not, but who has a liking for the club.

My opinion for what it's worth. 

Exactly my take on it

To me a supporter goes to games, a fan is who Sky sports survive off

2 hours ago, sephjnr said:

I my mind you can be a fan if you pay to follow the team or not, but a supporter definitely attends / spends money.

Hang on... I've just had a thought.

What does this make Wally of the once relevant Blue Few?

Apparently he attends games (probably when Chelsea aren't playing), but clearly he doesn't spend any money.

What category does he fall under?

And you can't say 'a very nice man, with a watch'. ?

11 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Hang on... I've just had a thought.

What does this make Wally of the once relevant Blue Few?

Apparently he attends games (probably when Chelsea aren't playing), but clearly he doesn't spend any money.

What category does he fall under?

And you can't say 'a very nice man, with a watch'. ?

He's a Flan (wants to have his cake and eat it)

over the years I've been both a fan and supporter. Every game when I lived in the Bath/Bristol area and was young free and with no responsibilities. Nowadays, two Premier League Clubs are closer, (I occasionally go to St Marys), and I occasionally get to Ashton Gate. I don't really refer to myself as a "supporter" these days because I don't support the club as much as I did. I'm more a "follower" with occasional bursts of support. I don't recall the last time I turned up for a midweek game anywhere due to work commitments

On 23/06/2019 at 18:54, sticks 1969 said:

I think every time you go through the turnstiles your paying money into the club (Ie) supporting them financially so I call my self a supporter. Your typical west county guy with a Man U, Liverpool shirt who never goes or has a connection with the club I would class as a fan or a ****... 

Definitely the second of your two options.

15 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`d argue there`s a third category of `follower` for those who swear undying loyalty to their chosen premier league club despite having never watched them other than on TV.

Fan or supporter are pretty interchangeable IMO.

The term you are looking for here is a ‘Plastic ****’

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Does that include buying a premier league shirt from Sports Direct that you wear to the pub to watch your team on Sky?

If the club got a cut from the sale yes. As It's Sweatshop Warehouse King Mike Cashley getting the majority, I question it.

5 hours ago, Leveller said:

“Supporter” as a term has no connection with financial support. That’s just a misconception.

And yet, your profile states you are an OTIB Supporter since you paid the subscription fee. Or you know, as you call it, financial support.

Well, luck you... I can not even be a supporter, based on your opinion, but I can remain a fan, probably close to "fanatic" cause everytime when I see a game I'm like breaking my TV or my livescore screened display ???

I think I'm good enough for Bristol City this way for a foreign one.

Being a fan is quite easily to define someone with a lot of emotion invested in your team. This forum has a lot of genuine fans for whom a defeat on Saturday cast a huge black cloud over their weekend and beyond. I'd class myself a fan when I was a kid. Now, after45+ years I don't get overly upset or go into a sulk like I once would have.

Supporter on the other hand isn't as easily defined. As many have said if you paid to watch a home game then you are "supporting" the club financially. But support isn't  just about giving the club money. You can support a team by standing up for the team, the coach or the players, defending them in conversation or on a forum such as this.

Where we have a number of "fans" on the forum we have more "supporters". Even those who appear negative generally have the clubs best interest at heart.

I have always classed myself as an emotional and vocal supporter backing the team through thick and thin and, with the exception to Pulis, backed the manager/head coach. But regardless of the definitions I think I'm safe in saying we all love the club and always will regardless of who is custodian of it. 

I am a super Fan ha ha. All whilst living on the other side of the world. I bought a brick and my name is on John's statue. Two tattoos. Bumper sticker on my truck. Missing mates every single game.

I have been exiled 16 years now. Until 2 seasons ago it was tuning into every game on Radio.  Getting up at 4 am some times. The service was dire,  cut outs, long periods of the game missing... Sometimes you even got Moron FC's commentary. 

Now a days I pay $180 for BCtv... Which is great but midweek games are rarely on now because of the red button. So for those games it's back to the radio. Knowing the rest of you lot are watching in glorious HD. All down to Canadian Football rights...but that's another story. 

Once the game is over looking forward to the video highlights. Listening to all the pre/post interviews. Bring a member of  Facebook's City Till I die. Bristol City Supporters Page and Bristol City Through The Years (Which is excellent!!). Reading OTIB almost daily. 

Organising family holidays where City play 3 times in a week or else it's not worth coming. Coming over twice for family events and city not playing and being thoroughly pissed off.

Fan or supporter??  Both I guess. City is a massive part of my life and I am totally CAF.

Stevo

4 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

I am a super Fan ha ha. All whilst living on the other side of the world. I bought a brick and my name is on John's statue. Two tattoos. Bumper sticker on my truck. Missing mates every single game.

I have been exiled 16 years now. Until 2 seasons ago it was tuning into every game on Radio.  Getting up at 4 am some times. The service was dire,  cut outs, long periods of the game missing... Sometimes you even got Moron FC's commentary. 

Now a days I pay $180 for BCtv... Which is great but midweek games are rarely on now because of the red button. So for those games it's back to the radio. Knowing the rest of you lot are watching in glorious HD. All down to Canadian Football rights...but that's another story. 

Once the game is over looking forward to the video highlights. Listening to all the pre/post interviews. Bring a member of  Facebook's City Till I die. Bristol City Supporters Page and Bristol City Through The Years (Which is excellent!!). Reading OTIB almost daily. 

Organising family holidays where City play 3 times in a week or else it's not worth coming. Coming over twice for family events and city not playing and being thoroughly pissed off.

Fan or supporter??  Both I guess. City is a massive part of my life and I am totally CAF.

Stevo

Been in a similar boat to you for some years Steve, spending a bit more time back in England now, so probably saw as many home games in the last month of this past season as I have seen in the past 3 or 4 combined.

As to the original question, no idea which tag I would have: been going on and off since 1976, had a season ticket for the past decade that rarely gets used by myself.

Archived