IGNORED

Supporter or Fan

When you talk about yourself as a follower of City do you refer to yourself as a Supporter, a Fan or don’t you draw a distinction. Personally, I regard myself as a Supporter, which I define as someone who demonstrates commitment to a team or club. A Fan to me is someone who has a liking for a team or club. 

In my case I demonstrate my commitment by being a season ticket holder, attending a high percentage of away matches and being a member of the Supporters Club and Trust. I suppose I’m eligible for the Senior Reds too. However, while attendance at live matches might be the best way of showing commitment it is by no means the only way. I accept that not everyone , for a variety of reasons such as home location, family or work commitments, finance etc, can attend live games so commit in other ways. So Supporter or Fan?

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

When you talk about yourself as a follower of City do you refer to yourself as a Supporter, a Fan or don’t you draw a distinction. Personally, I regard myself as a Supporter, which I define as someone who demonstrates commitment to a team or club. A Fan to me is someone who has a liking for a team or club. 

In my case I demonstrate my commitment by being a season ticket holder, attending a high percentage of away matches and being a member of the Supporters Club and Trust. I suppose I’m eligible for the Senior Reds too. However, while attendance at live matches might be the best way of showing commitment it is by no means the only way. I accept that not everyone , for a variety of reasons such as home location, family or work commitments, finance etc, can attend live games so commit in other ways. So Supporter or Fan?

city as **** me...…..

I think every time you go through the turnstiles your paying money into the club (Ie) supporting them financially so I call my self a supporter. Your typical west county guy with a Man U, Liverpool shirt who never goes or has a connection with the club I would class as a fan or a ****... 

The only thing I would say is that growing up in Bristol and supporting the team from there, I feel is an extension of who i am and where I’m from. 

The club and myself, like those before me, are representing Bristol and I want to to be proud of who I am and where I come from.

Thats not to say people from say Florida couldn’t pick and support City, I just think foitball is such a tribal and passionate game, the affiliation is different if originate from the same place as the club.

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

isn't fan short for fanatic, which has to be better than just a supporter.

There is some debate as to whether fan is short for fanatic or fancy:

Fan

An ardent devotee, an enthusiast.

Fanaticis

a person marked by an extreme unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.

Fancy

Regard a team as a likely winner.

I think of myself as both really - agree that a supporter could be seen as a paying customer. If you get emotionally invested in the results (regardless of whether you can go or not) I'd say that's a fan.

I think the OP sees a fan as the same way I'd see someone who "follows" a team. I follow a couple of team's results and would probably cheer them on in a final - unless it was against City. I bet there are a lot of football fans that follow city but would say they are a Man U or Liverpool fan - the further north you get, the less I've come across this kind of 'fandom'.

I'll often ask people who they follow and assume they look out for a score or watch the highlights on motd, anything else & they usually qualify how much they give to their team's cause.

A definate  :tv_horror: fan....now; prev a right supporter nut following my club everywhere.

What`s changed? grounds, atmospheres, days at the footie, proper players who gave everything, P.C, H&S and now VAR and I`ve got old and ill :ill:

I'm a supporter of animals: I donate to the RSPCA and RSPB, but I don't own any animals.

I'm a bit of a fan of Sigourney Weaver: I have some of her films on DVD, but I don't want to be her.

As for the City: when I say 'we need to get the ball into the box more often' it's because I'm hoping to get on the end of it. To be that difference. With two left feet, and no heading ability. At fifty. From the Dolman Stand. Or from a sofa somewhere 'abroad' if we're playing away.

So whatever that is :)

CTID

Interesting question that has always been on my mind.

I always thought a supporter was someone who watches his/her favourite team by going to the venue and paying money for the privilege. A fan doesn't financially contribute at the turnstile. 

Over here in Norn Iron, nearly everyone is a fan of either a Scottish or English team (Liverpool, Man Ure and Leeds being the bigguns) and they might attend a match once a season if fortunate. They'll buy a new shirt every year as well. I wouldn't say they're a supporter though as apart from merchandise, they're not really supporting that team financially.

Funnily enough, I'd say the biggest supported team outside of the Premier League is Yeovil Town. Their fans wear their green and white hooped shirts with pride throughout the year. There are loads of them over here (although the badge looks different)!

19 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`d argue there`s a third category of `follower` for those who swear undying loyalty to their chosen premier league club despite having never watched them other than on TV.

Fan or supporter are pretty interchangeable IMO.

I think I have watched every premier league team live but seen city more times what does that make me? 

On 23/06/2019 at 22:23, cidered abroad said:

A supporter is one who pays money to watch games of the club.

A fan is one who does not, but who has a liking for the club.

My opinion for what it's worth. 

Completely the opposite in my head

- a fan is a fanatic, a really committed nut (and that’s the origin of the word as far as I know)

- a supporter is milder, someone who has chosen to follow a team, but not as dedicated 

On 23/06/2019 at 19:12, Robbored said:

I’m both as well but hadn’t ever thought there was a difference.

I guess if you asked someone about their favourite football club, you’d ask them who they support.

.....but what if they are just fans and not supporters?

Archived