IGNORED

England u-21 v Croatia u-21

bcfc01

Possession is good defensively, you can't concede if the opponent doesn't have the ball (don't task England on that).

It's how quickly you transition in to attack which gets you goals, something their awful at (something Boothroyd is awful at articulating).

1 minute ago, Unan said:

Possession is good defensively, you can't concede if the opponent doesn't have the ball (don't task England on that).

It's how quickly you transition in to attack which gets you goals, something their awful at (something Boothroyd is awful at articulating).

Against France we were passing it around loads out the back and then chipping it over the defense to their goalie. Strange tactic.

9 minutes ago, Unan said:

Nail on the head.

Boothroyd just cannot get them playing as one, the attacking talent that is in that u21 squad is frightening, even the defence is very good. Yes there have been far too many mistakes but when we’ve had to attack teams in this group we’ve looked very good and scored plenty but when playing this way the defence goes to pieces. As for Boothroyd just for his team selection in the last game and not going with Tammy from the first game needs sacking.

1 minute ago, RedRaw said:

Yep classic Lloyd I’m afraid....but that will be coached out of him

You say that but we saw it all last season and you would have thought LJ would have already tried to coach it out of him - we will see if Eddie Howe can do any better!

2 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

You say that but we saw it all last season and you would have thought LJ would have already tried to coach it out of him - we will see if Eddie Howe can do any better!

He’s still only 20! He has all the attributes to be a top defender, just needs to cut out the sloppy passing and drops in concentration.

Can’t believe how anyone would want to watch yet another boringly and predictable  England men’s team, unbelievably & surprisingly (to me) there have been some wonderful games in the women’s World Cup, this afternoons USA/ Spain game was another cracker, cannot believe how far the women’s game has progressed since I used to ridicule it so much only a few years ago.

VAR again in the Sweden v Canada game.

Definite penalty given by the referee and she gets a communication from the VAR guys that there may have been an offside in the build up.

It was a couple of inches offside, literally.

Games gone mad - let the ref be in control not a bunch of blokes in front of a bank of Tvs.

Should have been a pen.

Ummm... this VAR malarkey is playing havoc with the game. Really need to look at either the laws or usage, or both. So disruptive.

As per Harry, just can’t believe how the woman’s game has progressed. The footwork is awesome. Must be something to do with body weight and light feet.

Maybe Pato does have a future after all. 

3 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Ummm... this VAR malarkey is playing havoc with the game. Really need to look at either the laws or usage, or both. So disruptive.

As per Harry, just can’t believe how the woman’s game has progressed. The footwork is awesome. Must be something to do with body weight and light feet.

If they bring VAR into the English game that'll be me done.

I don't want to watch that shite.

Surely the solution to the VAR is one put forward a number of times. Put the decision as to whether to use it or not in the hands of the managers/captain.

Start of each half each team has a single VAR credit. They can appeal, via the manager and/or captain, any decision they like. If the decision is overturned then they retain their credit. If, however, it is not overturned then they lose their credit and cannot appeal anything else.

1. This stops VAR being used for every decision.
  2. It should see VAR only being used for the really big, crucial, clearly wrong decisions as no manager would waste his credit on a minor or marginal call.
  3. This stops players complaining when they do or do not think VAR should have been used.
  4. It has been shown to work well in tennis and cricket.
  5. It takes some of the pressure off of the officials as it is no longer their decision to use VAR or not.
  6. It aids transparency.
  7. It would stop players/managers complaining afterwards that they were done over by VAR.

Fine tune it as to how often the credits get refreshed, or whether you say that only red cards, goals, offsides and penalties can be challenged. But it seems an easy way to retain the power of VAR to rectify glaring errors of refereeing whilst also retaining the broader flow and energy of the game.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Surely the solution to the VAR is one put forward a number of times. Put the decision as to whether to use it or not in the hands of the managers/captain.

Start of each half each team has a single VAR credit. They can appeal, via the manager and/or captain, any decision they like. If the decision is overturned then they retain their credit. If, however, it is not overturned then they lose their credit and cannot appeal anything else.

2. It should see VAR only being used for the really big, crucial, clearly wrong decisions as no manager would waste his credit on a minor or marginal call.
  3. This stops players complaining when they do or do not think VAR should have been used.
  5. It takes some of the pressure off of the officials as it is no longer their decision to use VAR or not.
  6. It aids transparency.
  7. It would stop players/managers complaining afterwards that they were done over by VAR.

Fine tune it as to how often the credits get refreshed, or whether you say that only red cards, goals, offsides and penalties can be challenged. But it seems an easy way to retain the power of VAR to rectify glaring errors of refereeing whilst also retaining the broader flow and energy of the game.

There would need to be something in place to stop teams just using a review to stop a team breaking away with the ball in the last minute, you can't wait for a break in play to check as sometimes the ball doesn't go out for quite a few minutes.

16 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

It’s a breath of fresh air mate, no cheating, histrionics or conning the ref, (apart from the Cameroon’s) i can’t believe how much i’ve enjoyed it

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

6. It aids transparency.

I hate VAR.  However, isn’t the simplest solution for it to be down to the officials on the pitch to decide whether to use it.  I think that that is how it works in rugby and it seems far less intrusive there?

The womens games have been refreshing - seem to be more open, free flowing and less cynical than the men’s game.

28 minutes ago, harrys said:

Can’t believe how anyone would want to watch yet another boringly and predictable  England men’s team, unbelievably & surprisingly (to me) there have been some wonderful games in the women’s World Cup, this afternoons USA/ Spain game was another cracker, cannot believe how far the women’s game has progressed since I used to ridicule it so much only a few years ago.

Very well said. I'm enjoying the games because I have stopped trying to compare it with top class men's  game. and accept the players for what they are. Fit and very good technically, working hard for the team. The women's game quality has improved so much in the last ten years, it is now worth watching.

3 minutes ago, harrys said:

It’s a breath of fresh air mate, no cheating, histrionics or conning the ref, (apart from the Cameroon’s) i can’t believe how much i’ve enjoyed it

Likewise.

Question is will the men’s game now follow the honesty of the women’s or will the women’s follow the men’s?

Unfortunately, I suspect it will be the latter. 

32 minutes ago, harrys said:

I watched the England v Japan game on a flight last week as there was nothing else worth watching and really enjoyed for those reason but also the technical side of the game has improved massively in the last few years. I've watched a few games since and all been good. Still think that maybe if the goals were a bit smaller or the whole pitch then it could be even better. 

Archived