Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

bcfc01

England u-21 v Croatia u-21

Recommended Posts

Boring.

To me, to you, to me, to you.

Very good players but they are being held back in my opinion.

1-0 up but that is incidental to the way they are being told to play - its crap.

Switched off.

Edited by bcfc01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean the fact we've hot the 2 or 3 times means we're not creating chances? 

Also 'to me to you' football, you must hate watching City... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possession is good defensively, you can't concede if the opponent doesn't have the ball (don't task England on that).

It's how quickly you transition in to attack which gets you goals, something their awful at (something Boothroyd is awful at articulating).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Unan said:

Possession is good defensively, you can't concede if the opponent doesn't have the ball (don't task England on that).

It's how quickly you transition in to attack which gets you goals, something their awful at (something Boothroyd is awful at articulating).

Against France we were passing it around loads out the back and then chipping it over the defense to their goalie. Strange tactic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Unan said:

Possession is good defensively, you can't concede if the opponent doesn't have the ball (don't task England on that).

It's how quickly you transition in to attack which gets you goals, something their awful at (something Boothroyd is awful at articulating).

Nail on the head.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Aidy is afraid of his own reputation.

If we play directly he's scared of the "hoof ball" term coming out.

He's holding our young players back because HE's afraid. He knows he's not good enough. We know. Does the FA?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boothroyd just cannot get them playing as one, the attacking talent that is in that u21 squad is frightening, even the defence is very good. Yes there have been far too many mistakes but when we’ve had to attack teams in this group we’ve looked very good and scored plenty but when playing this way the defence goes to pieces. As for Boothroyd just for his team selection in the last game and not going with Tammy from the first game needs sacking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lloyd Kelly with a touch of John stones arrogance there. Whoever is telling our centre halves they can play football have it sadly wrong!

Edited by frenchred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Think we might have seen this before - misplaced pass out of defence is intercepted ......

Yep classic Lloyd I’m afraid....but that will be coached out of him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedRaw said:

Yep classic Lloyd I’m afraid....but that will be coached out of him

You say that but we saw it all last season and you would have thought LJ would have already tried to coach it out of him - we will see if Eddie Howe can do any better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Against France we were passing it around loads out the back and then chipping it over the defense to their goalie. Strange tactic.

sounds a bit like the sod era...….

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

You say that but we saw it all last season and you would have thought LJ would have already tried to coach it out of him - we will see if Eddie Howe can do any better!

He’s still only 20! He has all the attributes to be a top defender, just needs to cut out the sloppy passing and drops in concentration.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t believe how anyone would want to watch yet another boringly and predictable  England men’s team, unbelievably & surprisingly (to me) there have been some wonderful games in the women’s World Cup, this afternoons USA/ Spain game was another cracker, cannot believe how far the women’s game has progressed since I used to ridicule it so much only a few years ago.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VAR again in the Sweden v Canada game.

Definite penalty given by the referee and she gets a communication from the VAR guys that there may have been an offside in the build up.

It was a couple of inches offside, literally.

Games gone mad - let the ref be in control not a bunch of blokes in front of a bank of Tvs.

Should have been a pen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ummm... this VAR malarkey is playing havoc with the game. Really need to look at either the laws or usage, or both. So disruptive.

As per Harry, just can’t believe how the woman’s game has progressed. The footwork is awesome. Must be something to do with body weight and light feet.

Maybe Pato does have a future after all. 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

You say that but we saw it all last season and you would have thought LJ would have already tried to coach it out of him - we will see if Eddie Howe can do any better!

We didn’t see it ALL last season. We saw it sometimes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Ummm... this VAR malarkey is playing havoc with the game. Really need to look at either the laws or usage, or both. So disruptive.

As per Harry, just can’t believe how the woman’s game has progressed. The footwork is awesome. Must be something to do with body weight and light feet.

Maybe Pato does have a future after all. 

 

If they bring VAR into the English game that'll be me done.

I don't want to watch that shite.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the solution to the VAR is one put forward a number of times. Put the decision as to whether to use it or not in the hands of the managers/captain.

Start of each half each team has a single VAR credit. They can appeal, via the manager and/or captain, any decision they like. If the decision is overturned then they retain their credit. If, however, it is not overturned then they lose their credit and cannot appeal anything else.

  1. This stops VAR being used for every decision.
  2. It should see VAR only being used for the really big, crucial, clearly wrong decisions as no manager would waste his credit on a minor or marginal call.
  3. This stops players complaining when they do or do not think VAR should have been used.
  4. It has been shown to work well in tennis and cricket.
  5. It takes some of the pressure off of the officials as it is no longer their decision to use VAR or not.
  6. It aids transparency.
  7. It would stop players/managers complaining afterwards that they were done over by VAR.

Fine tune it as to how often the credits get refreshed, or whether you say that only red cards, goals, offsides and penalties can be challenged. But it seems an easy way to retain the power of VAR to rectify glaring errors of refereeing whilst also retaining the broader flow and energy of the game.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

If they bring VAR into the English game that'll be me done.

I don't want to watch that shite.

Ummm, who’s gonna tell him? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Surely the solution to the VAR is one put forward a number of times. Put the decision as to whether to use it or not in the hands of the managers/captain.

Start of each half each team has a single VAR credit. They can appeal, via the manager and/or captain, any decision they like. If the decision is overturned then they retain their credit. If, however, it is not overturned then they lose their credit and cannot appeal anything else.

  1. This stops VAR being used for every decision.
  2. It should see VAR only being used for the really big, crucial, clearly wrong decisions as no manager would waste his credit on a minor or marginal call.
  3. This stops players complaining when they do or do not think VAR should have been used.
  4. It has been shown to work well in tennis and cricket.
  5. It takes some of the pressure off of the officials as it is no longer their decision to use VAR or not.
  6. It aids transparency.
  7. It would stop players/managers complaining afterwards that they were done over by VAR.

Fine tune it as to how often the credits get refreshed, or whether you say that only red cards, goals, offsides and penalties can be challenged. But it seems an easy way to retain the power of VAR to rectify glaring errors of refereeing whilst also retaining the broader flow and energy of the game.

There would need to be something in place to stop teams just using a review to stop a team breaking away with the ball in the last minute, you can't wait for a break in play to check as sometimes the ball doesn't go out for quite a few minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Ummm... this VAR malarkey is playing havoc with the game. Really need to look at either the laws or usage, or both. So disruptive.

As per Harry, just can’t believe how the woman’s game has progressed. The footwork is awesome. Must be something to do with body weight and light feet.

Maybe Pato does have a future after all. 

 

It’s a breath of fresh air mate, no cheating, histrionics or conning the ref, (apart from the Cameroon’s) i can’t believe how much i’ve enjoyed it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Surely the solution to the VAR is one put forward a number of times. Put the decision as to whether to use it or not in the hands of the managers/captain.

Start of each half each team has a single VAR credit. They can appeal, via the manager and/or captain, any decision they like. If the decision is overturned then they retain their credit. If, however, it is not overturned then they lose their credit and cannot appeal anything else.

  1. This stops VAR being used for every decision.
  2. It should see VAR only being used for the really big, crucial, clearly wrong decisions as no manager would waste his credit on a minor or marginal call.
  3. This stops players complaining when they do or do not think VAR should have been used.
  4. It has been shown to work well in tennis and cricket.
  5. It takes some of the pressure off of the officials as it is no longer their decision to use VAR or not.
  6. It aids transparency.
  7. It would stop players/managers complaining afterwards that they were done over by VAR.

Fine tune it as to how often the credits get refreshed, or whether you say that only red cards, goals, offsides and penalties can be challenged. But it seems an easy way to retain the power of VAR to rectify glaring errors of refereeing whilst also retaining the broader flow and energy of the game.

I hate VAR.  However, isn’t the simplest solution for it to be down to the officials on the pitch to decide whether to use it.  I think that that is how it works in rugby and it seems far less intrusive there?

The womens games have been refreshing - seem to be more open, free flowing and less cynical than the men’s game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, harrys said:

Can’t believe how anyone would want to watch yet another boringly and predictable  England men’s team, unbelievably & surprisingly (to me) there have been some wonderful games in the women’s World Cup, this afternoons USA/ Spain game was another cracker, cannot believe how far the women’s game has progressed since I used to ridicule it so much only a few years ago.

Very well said. I'm enjoying the games because I have stopped trying to compare it with top class men's  game. and accept the players for what they are. Fit and very good technically, working hard for the team. The women's game quality has improved so much in the last ten years, it is now worth watching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, harrys said:

It’s a breath of fresh air mate, no cheating, histrionics or conning the ref, (apart from the Cameroon’s) i can’t believe how much i’ve enjoyed it

Likewise.

Question is will the men’s game now follow the honesty of the women’s or will the women’s follow the men’s?

Unfortunately, I suspect it will be the latter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, harrys said:

It’s a breath of fresh air mate, no cheating, histrionics or conning the ref, (apart from the Cameroon’s) i can’t believe how much i’ve enjoyed it

I watched the England v Japan game on a flight last week as there was nothing else worth watching and really enjoyed for those reason but also the technical side of the game has improved massively in the last few years. I've watched a few games since and all been good. Still think that maybe if the goals were a bit smaller or the whole pitch then it could be even better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

You say that but we saw it all last season and you would have thought LJ would have already tried to coach it out of him - we will see if Eddie Howe can do any better!

That’s why he found himself out of the side and struggled to get back in, you’ll never be able to coach concentration and Lloyd lacks that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that any Bournemouth supporters getting their first glimpse of Lloyd in action, last night may wonder just what they're getting for £13m+. They've no need to worry but perversely, it did make me smile!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, harrys said:

Can’t believe how anyone would want to watch yet another boringly and predictable  England men’s team, unbelievably & surprisingly (to me) there have been some wonderful games in the women’s World Cup, this afternoons USA/ Spain game was another cracker, cannot believe how far the women’s game has progressed since I used to ridicule it so much only a few years ago.

I didnt watch the Romania game but the France game was far from "boring and predictable". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

VAR again in the Sweden v Canada game.

Definite penalty given by the referee and she gets a communication from the VAR guys that there may have been an offside in the build up.

It was a couple of inches offside, literally.

Games gone mad - let the ref be in control not a bunch of blokes in front of a bank of Tvs.

Should have been a pen.

Offside is offside. If that was given (like it should have been) then the penalty situation doesn't happen...

12 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Surely the solution to the VAR is one put forward a number of times. Put the decision as to whether to use it or not in the hands of the managers/captain.

Start of each half each team has a single VAR credit. They can appeal, via the manager and/or captain, any decision they like. If the decision is overturned then they retain their credit. If, however, it is not overturned then they lose their credit and cannot appeal anything else.

  1. This stops VAR being used for every decision.
  2. It should see VAR only being used for the really big, crucial, clearly wrong decisions as no manager would waste his credit on a minor or marginal call.
  3. This stops players complaining when they do or do not think VAR should have been used.
  4. It has been shown to work well in tennis and cricket.
  5. It takes some of the pressure off of the officials as it is no longer their decision to use VAR or not.
  6. It aids transparency.
  7. It would stop players/managers complaining afterwards that they were done over by VAR.

Fine tune it as to how often the credits get refreshed, or whether you say that only red cards, goals, offsides and penalties can be challenged. But it seems an easy way to retain the power of VAR to rectify glaring errors of refereeing whilst also retaining the broader flow and energy of the game.

How does the manager know it's "clearly wrong". Surely it's the marginal ones you would be contesting because it's not obvious - especially if its led to a goal 🤔

Not sure anyone can say they were "done over" by VAR if it got the decision right and if you dont believe in VAR getting it right then how would a credit system work where you get another appeal if you were right (but VAR might have been wrong) 

Doesn't make any more sense to me and certainly isn't the "solution", IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Offside is offside. If that was given (like it should have been) then the penalty situation doesn't happen...

How does the manager know it's "clearly wrong". Surely it's the marginal ones you would be contesting because it's not obvious - especially if its led to a goal 🤔

Not sure anyone can say they were "done over" by VAR if it got the decision right and if you dont believe in VAR getting it right then how would a credit system work where you get another appeal if you were right (but VAR might have been wrong) 

Doesn't make any more sense to me and certainly isn't the "solution", IMO

The system needs bedding in that’s for damn sure,

but look at the info in cricket now available getting those marginal wickets,

i do believe though it should also be like cricket where both teams have 3 challenges per game that can be used per game (like an innings in cricket)

and it has to be the manager or team captain who challenges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

That’s why he found himself out of the side and struggled to get back in, you’ll never be able to coach concentration and Lloyd lacks that

That is a unwise view. All players go through age related (mistake) phases. The great Rio Ferdinand did.

Concentration is related to experience, hours played, hours coached and mindset. It is obviously psychological and involves high levels of learning (teaching). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...