Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

JonDolman

SIGNED : Tommy Rowe

12 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Rumours this is a done deal today.

Maybe back up for Jay Da Silvi at left back?

I thought this originally, but then I saw he hadn't played a single game at left back all last season. So on paper this is a strange one if he is to be back up left back.

11 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

Hopefully not rather Pring!

I think I saw Pring is linked with Walsall loan? I can't see him in our training footage, where he surely would be if he was to be in our squad this season.

5 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Reading the article confirms what some of us knew all  along - that some  done deals are yet to be announced.

Thought this was an odd rumour but obviously the club have watched him and feel he can add something even though he’s 30. Very experienced and you don’t get bad players if you start your career at Man U. Also he was captain at Donny so must have leadership qualities although maybe not one to take a penalty under pressure following Donnys play off defeat

• Like 1

Reading their fans comments, it will be surprising if he is good at our level. But hey that's just what they think, I am sure LJ must see something in him. 

He is injury prone though and not getting any younger. Is not really naturally a left back, having not played there all last season. I think this might just be an emergency squad player who can fill a few positions, rather than a back up for just Dasilva.

For example 3 central midfielders injured and he can play there. 2 or 3 wingers injured he can play on the wing. We sign another left back, that left back and Dasilva both get injured then he can fill in at left back. That's what I reckon is his purpose in our squad, an emergency option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Reading the article confirms what some of us knew all  along - that some  done deals are yet to be announced.

Surely that's just empty meaningless uninformed speculation unless it's on the official site?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Reading their fans comments, it will be surprising if he is good at our level. But hey that's just what they think, I am sure LJ must see something in him. 

He is injury prone though and not getting any younger. Is not really naturally a left back, having not played there all last season. I think this might just be an emergency squad player who can fill a few positions, rather than a back up for just Dasilva.

For example 3 central midfielders injured and he can play there. 2 or 3 wingers injured he can play on the wing. We sign another left back, that left back and Dasilva both get injured then he can fill in at left back. That's what I reckon is his purpose in our squad, an emergency option.

I guess we need a blend of youth and experience, obviously Rowe provides the latter and as long as he doesn’t block our youngsters pathway to the first team then I trust the club to make the right choice.

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I guess we need a blend of youth and experience, obviously Rowe provides the latter and as long as he doesn’t block our youngsters pathway to the first team then I trust the club to make the right choice.

I think we have enough experience with Maenpaa, Bentley, Hunt, Kalas, Baker, Wright, Pack, Brownhill, Korey, Pato, Weimann, Taylor

If he is in as main back up to Dasilva then I am worried. He hasn't played a game at left back for 5 seasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I thought this originally, but then I saw he hadn't played a single game at left back all last season. So on paper this is a strange one if he is to be back up left back.

This could be the definition of bold.

8 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

Typical EP lazy journalism............................I thought everyone knows it's Doncaster UNITED !

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Prinny said:

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=272909.0

Overweight, injury prone, inconsistent and definitely not capable of being a left back according to the thread above.

This makes me really interested by the signing! What do we think we know that people who watched him don't?

You mean we should take more notice of a small, self-selecting group of fans than of professionals?

I have seen enough examples of opposition fans slagging off players we have signed from their club over the years to have learned to ignore them.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Overweight, injury prone, inconsistent and definitely not capable of being a left back according to the thread above.

This makes me really interested by the signing! What do we think we know that people who watched him don't?

Where did this left back stuff come from ?

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Where did this left back stuff come from ?

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/exclusive-bristol-city-continue-exciting-3034110

Rowe is a former Manchester United youth player, and played 118 times for Rovers, as well as spending time at Stockport, Peterborough, Wolves and Scunthorpe United. He can play across midfield, left-back or even left-wing.

3 minutes ago, Prinny said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/exclusive-bristol-city-continue-exciting-3034110

Rowe is a former Manchester United youth player, and played 118 times for Rovers, as well as spending time at Stockport, Peterborough, Wolves and Scunthorpe United. He can play across midfield, left-back or even left-wing.

I'd be surprised if a player like him played left back more that 10% of his games.

It would be a waste of a player.

I’ve had a look at some videos of him playing for Peterborough and Doncaster and he has a very good left foot and certainly can strike a ball and gets his fair share of goals 

I think he is more left midfield/winger than LB but maybe LJ sees him as something different to others

2 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I’ve had a look at some videos of him playing for Peterborough and Doncaster and he has a very good left foot and certainly can strike a ball and gets his fair share of goals 

I think he is more left midfield/winger than LB but maybe LJ sees him as something different to others

He hasn't played left back once in 5 years. That is what worries me.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Me too, so maybe he’s not being brought in as LB cover?

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

Me too, so maybe he’s not being brought in as LB cover?

Or he plays wing back role when we play a back 3???

25 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Hardly looks injury prone to me, apart from one bad season which can happen to anyone and is certainly not overweight. Maybe do a bit of your own research instead of listening to a bunch of fans from a forum who are just losing their captain, probably they are just trying to convince themselves that they are going to be missing anything. Decent squad signing to me as it is a free transfer.

86CDE19F-A9FB-47D3-9219-972532DDCB26.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Why ?

Has the club said he's left back cover ?

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Why ?

Has the club said he's left back cover ?

No. I should have said it worries me if he is our main left back cover. If he isn't then fine

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No. I should have said it worries me if he is our main left back cover. If he isn't then fine

Perhaps Pring has done enough to be in the first team squad as cover for Dasilva, Rowe will just be cover for left midfield and centre-mid now Morrell has gone out on loan (perhaps Walsh will follow??)

11 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Hardly looks injury prone to me, apart from one bad season which can happen to anyone and is certainly not overweight. Maybe do a bit of your own research instead of listening to a bunch of fans from a forum who are just losing their captain, probably they are just trying to convince themselves that they are going to be missing anything. Decent squad signing to me as it is a free transfer.

Thanks for the tip! I am! Hence looking at views from the opposition. Maybe try reading. If you could read properly it says "according to the thread above." It's not my opinion.

But thanks for the stats! That answers part of my question! He's actually played a lot of games and therefore isn't injury prone!

5 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Thanks for the tip! I am! Hence looking at views from the opposition. Maybe try reading. If you could read properly it says "according to the thread above." It's not my opinion.

But thanks for the stats! That answers part of my question! He's actually played a lot of games and therefore isn't injury prone!

michelle pfeiffer meow GIF

42 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That's not true. He started LB for Donny in a cup game this season, and played there a few times last season as well.

28 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

That's not true. He started LB for Donny in a cup game this season, and played there a few times last season as well.

Did someone tell you that? It says on transfermarkt that he didn't play there once this season just gone, and no times the season before that.

Only just noticed he made 40 appearances -18 from the bench! 

On paper this doesn't look good.

Could he be,

Have known LJ and/or Holden for several years?

A very useful cover for several positions?

Doing his coaching badges?

A leader on the pitch?

Thus an ideal player to be the senior member of the Under 23 side?

31 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Wilbo style comments make me smile....Cue Ledge status within three months!!

Wilbs came from Palace in Prem to league one. Rowe is a bit part player in league one going up to championship. 

17 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Wilbs came from Palace in Prem to league one. Rowe is a bit part player in league one going up to championship. 

Better let LJ and Ashton know that! 

On 29/06/2019 at 20:18, INCRED said:

Decent technically....and some wingers turn into full-backs later in career.  He might be better with better players too.  He’s played a bit in the Champ but normally been part of decent League One sides.  Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Are we gonna be after another left-back then? Or is he second choice to Dasilva? 

I'll be honest I'm a little bit confused at this one. 

Can’t see him being competition to Eliasson/Pato for wide left, so LB and CM cover? 

Regardless, welcome Tommy!

Here's hoping he will be an Aaron Wilbraham or a Wade Elliot - an older player we were completely uninspired by when he signed, but did brilliantly. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

Underrated signing. Could prove to be very important to our season

A very "moneyball" type signing I would think. I would imagine he would be seen as very useful on the bench, able to fill two or three positions if required. Also giving more opportunities to rest people in cup competitions etc. I wouldn't imagine he's a "Bank breaker" when it come to wages, so allows us to balance out, Kalas' reputed high earnings. 

• Like 1

If it’s to provide cheap cover whilst we let a few of the young fringe players like Walsh and Bakinson go out on loan and give Smith time to fully recover then it’s a good move all round.  I will be disappointed if he’s the only CM addition this summer as it is definitely an area where we need to splash some serious cash or aim for a top end loan.

Interesting that the story on the official site makes the qualities they will bring off the pitch just as prominent as on it.

I suspect both are being brought in with a view to coaching rather than playing too much?

2 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Interesting that the story on the official site makes the qualities they will bring off the pitch just as prominent as on it.

I suspect both are being brought in with a view to coaching rather than playing too much?

Wasn’t Rowe on the same course as Macca?

• Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Here's hoping he will be an Aaron Wilbraham or a Wade Elliot - an older player we were completely uninspired by when he signed, but did brilliantly. 

On paper it's very different. Wilbs came down 2 division, Wade 1 division. 

Rowe coming up a division having been a bit part player. Would be surprised if he plays much at all. 

Gonna be a blunt here. I don't think I've been as less excited for a signing as this. I've read everything positive I possibly can about this lad and it still makes me feel.....meh 

• Like 2